What blade shape would you call this?

I bought this custom knife a year or so ago (maybe longer) just because I liked how it looked. I am carrying it on my side just for the heck of it today and can't really develop a love for it. I believe the guy described it to me as a camp knife but I'm not certain.

What blade shape would you call this and what chores would it be ideal for?

I'm no expert but I'd call that a camp knife in the style of chef's knife with a drop point.  The offset between the handle and the edge allows you to slice through stuff without mashing your knuckles, which is really handy when cutting stuff up in the kitchen. 

I'm no expert but I'd call that a camp knife in the style of chef's knife with a drop point.  The offset between the handle and the edge allows you to slice through stuff without mashing your knuckles, which is really handy when cutting stuff up in the kitchen. 

It's quite akin to a Hudson Bay in style, but in super shorty.

condor-hudsons-bay.jpg

Edited by Oh Shoot

I will say the one time I have used it alot was while camping and preparing food. I can't seem to get it very sharp either. May be the blade profile being different than my sharpmaker or something. I am gonna have to get the diamond stone set and see if that helps.

I will say the one time I have used it alot was while camping and preparing food. I can't seem to get it very sharp either. May be the blade profile being different than my sharpmaker or something. I am gonna have to get the diamond stone set and see if that helps.

When I sharpen a knife for the first time with my Smith's system, I have to start with the coarse stone functionally re-profile it and work my way up.  The angle on the blade almost never exactly matches my sharpener.  Subsequent sharpenings don't require the coarse stone unless I've buggered it. 

Just by the appearance of the blade, it looks like steel that's been tempered.  Normally you only temper the back/spine of the blade so has some flexibility while leaving the edge hard so it'll get real sharp and stay that way.  It's possible it may have been over tempered and the edge isn't particularly hard. 

That's possible but the blade didn't have all the discoloration / patina when I got it. I kind of let it get that was on purpose because I like the look. No doubt it probably needs profiling though. I just can't get there with the "coarse" stone that comes with the sharpmaker. 

That's possible but the blade didn't have all the discoloration / patina when I got it. I kind of let it get that was on purpose because I like the look. No doubt it probably needs profiling though. I just can't get there with the "coarse" stone that comes with the sharpmaker. 

Use a sharpie on the edge and you can see how the angles line up. Reprofiling on a Sharpmaker is gonna require some stubborn will :)

• Authorized Vendor

As close as I can come up with is maybe a  spey point blade (once used for neutering livestock) has a single, sharp, straight edge that curves strongly upwards at the end to meet a short, dull, straight point from the dull back. With the curved end of the blade being closer to perpendicular to the blade's axis than other knives and lacking a point, making penetration unlikely, spey blades are common on Trapper style pocketknives for skinning fur-bearing animals.

But honestly I think whoever made it just kind of winged it as they went along and that's how it turned out.

I said stone but it's really a coarse diamond sharpener. The only "stone" I have is a fine Arkansas stone. It does take rather a while to reprofile one. I'd guess upwards of 100 passes per side, but it's worth it as the next time only takes a few passes with the fine diamond, stone, then strop.