Acquiring out of state CDL, will it affect my permit?

• Moderators

I am getting ready to head to Springfield, MO to begin training with Prime, Inc. to acquire my CDL and go into the trucking industry. I will initially end up taking my test in MO and acquire a MO CDL. I will shortly thereafter return to Memphis and transfer my CDL to TN. The question is will getting my MO CDL invalidate my TN residency and therefore invalidate my permit? I'm probably over thinking it but I figure it would be better to know from the beginning. 

Seems to me you would have to qualify as a resident of MO in order to get a MO DL with CDL designation. I would surmise that if you go that route and do qualify, you are in effect giving up your tn residency and therefore your permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Can't you simply take the test here after your training? I fully admit I don't know the CDL laws, but it would seem to be the best thing to do if you don't plan on moving out of tn.

Seems to me you would have to qualify as a resident of MO in order to get a MO DL with CDL designation. I would surmise that if you go that route and do qualify, you are in effect giving up your tn residency and therefore your permit.

That will suck if that's the case! 

That will suck if that's the case!

After 911 there were many laws enacted, but one major one is that you can only have a DL in one state and you must me a resident. You can't even get a state issued ID in another state even if you own property there. My parents just went through this in FL. They simply wanted a state ID so they could get in state rates for things like Disney, but they actually reside (based in DL) in KY. FL wouldn't do it. I think he will run into the same thing here.

• Like 2
  • Moderators

After 911 there were many laws enacted, but one major one is that you can only have a DL in one state and you must me a resident. You can't even get a state issued ID in another state even if you own property there. My parents just went through this in FL. They simply wanted a state ID so they could get in state rates for things like Disney, but they actually reside (based in DL) in KY. FL wouldn't do it. I think he will run into the same thing here.

That's my concern even though I won't hold a MO CDL for more than a few weeks.

Edited by Chucktshoes
I drive OTR and have for 7 years. Be preared to be out for weeks at a time with Prime. If you get there and don't like it, give me a shout. I work for a local family company in Spring Hill. We only have about 55 trucks and 10 owner operators or so. He keeps new trucks and trailers. It's all dry van. No reefer or flatbed. Trucks are 2013 and 14 KW's and trailers are 2012 -2015. Home just about every weekend. Most of the time I have 3 day weekends. I have never worked for a huge company but I know the horror stories. Good luck to you. I wish I could help with the CDL question but I have to agree with Hozzie. Edited by glowdotGlock
  • Like 3
  • Moderators
[quote name="glowdotGlock" post="1163463" timestamp="1403971358"]I drive OTR and have for 7 years. Be preared to be out for weeks at a time with Prime. If you get there and don't like it, give me a shout. I work for a local family company in Spring Hill. We only have about 55 trucks and 10 owner operators or so. He keeps new trucks and trailers. It's all dry van. No reefer or flatbed. Trucks are 2013 and 14 KW's and trailers are 2012 -2015. Home just about every weekend. Most of the time I have 3 day weekends. I have never worked for a huge company but I know the horror stories. Good luck to you. I wish I could help with the CDL question but I have to agree with Hozzie.[/quote] Yeah, I am aware of the pitfalls of driving for a major carrier. They are training me for my CDL and I will be under contract with them for a year. They have the best paid apprenticeship/training program that I have found. I'll probably give you a ring next year as we view this time as a short term sacrifice for a long term gain. I greatly appreciate the offer as that sort of job is our goal.
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1163466" timestamp="1403971770"]Are you sure you'll be getting the actual CDL in Missouri, or just the permit? They are not the same thing, as your current DL will need to accompany your MO CDL PERMIT while operating the truck.[/quote] I will be getting a TN CDL permit before I head to training. When I test out, it will be in MO an I will have a MO CDL.
  • Moderators
[quote name="Mike.357" post="1163465" timestamp="1403971576"]I used to deal with truckers at my old job, for whatever reason I thought Prime's deal was leasing or selling the driver the truck. I know you are looking forward to the work.[/quote] Prime does both company drivers and lease operators. I want to stay Company for a year or two to learn he job first. Being a L/O or O/O is setting up my own business. It would be wise to understand the business first.
Like glowdotGlock, I'm also a truck driver. My uncle started with Prime. He stayed with them for 2 or 3 years, but recently quit. Yes, do NOT let them talk you into leasing or buying a truck through them. I warned my uncle about this, but he didn't take my advice. Now he's in the middle of a huge nightmare. DO NOT DO IT!
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
[quote name="glowdotGlock" post="1163470" timestamp="1403972128"]And my boss allows carry. He and 1 other guy CC in the office. The owner is somewhat of a prepper. When I had my LEO ID I carried everywhere. Now I just carry to TN permit friendly states. I like to do short runs now. Every now and then I to a CA.[/quote] That sounds even better.
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1163472" timestamp="1403972175"]Like glowdotGlock, I'm also a truck driver. My uncle started with Prime. He stayed with them for 2 or 3 years, but recently quit. Yes, do NOT let them talk you into leasing or buying a truck through them. I warned my uncle about this, but he didn't take my advice. Now he's in the middle of a huge nightmare. DO NOT DO IT![/quote] I already understand that from my research. There is a reason they are called Fleases.
  • Like 1
[quote name="rugerla1" post="1163475" timestamp="1403972331"]Now that's a good work environment![/quote] It really is. It is a small office. About 6 people. I like being able to call whoever I need. I have the owner's cell phone number and can call and talk to him like an old friend. I don't have any long voice prompts when I call in. It's usually my boss saying "Hey what's up queer?"(as a joke). It really is laid back.
  • Like 1

It really is. It is a small office. About 6 people. I like being able to call whoever I need. I have the owner's cell phone number and can call and talk to him like an old friend. I don't have any long voice prompts when I call in. It's usually my boss saying "Hey what's up queer?"(as a joke). It really is laid back.

LMAO! Glad you have it made like that. Most people don't. I'm fortunate at my company that most of the people are of similar thinking and probably 60% or more have their HCP. Be a bad choice for someone to come in acting stupid.

I hope Chucktshoes can get on out there with you after his Prime'ing. :)

• Like 2
  • Moderators
[quote name="rugerla1" post="1163478" timestamp="1403972780"]LMAO! Glad you have it made like that. Most people don't. I'm fortunate at my company that most of the people are of similar thinking and probably 60% or more have their HCP. Be a bad choice for someone to come in acting stupid. I hope Chucktshoes can get on out there with you after his Prime'ing. :)[/quote] I'm sure gonna keep this info filed for future use. While I want my time with Prime to be good, I know no matter how good it is it is going to suck missing the next year of my daughter's life. I am looking forward to getting into a job with lots of home time.
  • Like 2