Front sight smoker?

vontar

OK, I came across this and I don't understand the why behind it.  I understand the device and how it works but why do it.

I was looking up some Carbide lamps for my uncle and came across this.  Then they used it to smoke the front sights.

Anyone here do this or similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXF0u8OrLdU

Jump ahead to the 3 minute mark if you don't want the whole video.

Edited by vontar

A ridiculously over-complicated solution to a questionable problem.  Some people want to blacken the front sight to prevent glare,  if so just pull out a lighter and burn it or carry around a piece of charcoal.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
We had spray on sight black in boot camp circa early 07. After I got out we always used a lighter, even when I was a range coach. I see no need for anything super fancy. Most people can't shoot good enough with irons at long range to tell the difference anymore.

Most people can't shoot good enough with irons at long range to tell the difference anymore.

I was going to say that I had a long way to go before something like this became a crucial factor in my shooting. Now I'll spend 1/2 my next range trip wondering if I should pull out my lighter to try to improve my shooting. :rolleyes:

I was going to say that I had a long way to go before something like this became a crucial factor in my shooting. Now I'll spend 1/2 my next range trip wondering if I should pull out my lighter to try to improve my shooting. :rolleyes:

It can't hurt, but if more people spent more time on basics and less money on accessories they would be amazed at the difference. Learning to shoot and qualifying is a 2 week event in USMC boot camp. For 6 days straight you spend 8-10 hours a day learning sight adjustment, basic body postions, sling use and trigger squeeze. For the next 6 days you spend time on the range with a coach and a primary marksmanship instructor watching every move you make and every shot you take, studying all your recorded infk in your data books, etc. Thats what makes a shooter. Not some gadget to black your sights, or the latest uber sling, scope rocket propelled attachment.

Disclaimer:This is not aimed at TrickyNicky, or anyone specific, more of a rant on the shooters always looking for the new tool to help cover their old bad habits.
  • Like 2
Guest tangojuliet

:rofl: couldn't be me, I don't own anything fancier than a mid range red dot. And I don't even use it.

damn techno yankee and your infernal red dots 

used them on My Garand and PPC revolver  out of calcium carbide but have the set still  I have tried other methods but that always seemed the blackest the sights ever got, maybe I wasn't using the right tape or lighter.. any methods wipes off really easy though  and I recall Birchwood Casey offering a spray on sight black but never tried it.

makes the sights blacker than the bullseye so you do get some contrast and it tends to draw your eyes to the sights where they belong.

maybe time to find some carbide and drag the old gear out for a retro shooting day

• Admin Team

Calcium carbide used in lamps produces acetylene - which does make an awfully black soot.  If you're not satisfied with a lighter, a cheap canister of acetylene is available at Lowe's to run in some of the handheld torches. 

I'd just use a lighter myself, but Lord knows people will spend more money if you just show them a way how.

• Like 3
Guest tangojuliet

I'll be! Obviously my shooting has sucked for all this time because my sights weren't black enough.  :doh: 

well i could have told you that LOL :D

Where "smoking" really comes in handy is fitting parts.  I had never even thought about this method until I had a CZ75 barrel to fit.  I did some research and found someone who suggested "smoking" it.  Genius.

Use the flame to "smoke" up the area that needs to be fitted, put the part in place, see wear the black stuff gets rubbed off, remove material there.  Repeat as needed.  Worked like a charm. 

I've.seen a few guys at matches complain about sight issues, primarily due to glare,but that was with rear sights on a pistol or stock sights. Their fix was sooting the front sight...one more reason to go w fiber. Edited by Dustbuster

Calcium carbide used in lamps produces acetylene - which does make an awfully black soot.  If you're not satisfied with a lighter, a cheap canister of acetylene is available at Lowe's to run in some of the handheld torches. 

I'd just use a lighter myself, but Lord knows people will spend more money if you just show them a way how.

If I only had a dollar for every time someone had shown me a way to spend money, I'd have a lot more dollars.