Supressor ???????????

It has been a long time since I payed any attention to suppressor's. My last was on a full auto Mac-10 in .45 cal back in the early 80's.

I have recently thinking about getting one for a 22 cal. Have they changed much since then? Do they still need to be rebuilt,wipes changed etc. How often, etc? Help bring me up to speed on them. Prices?:blah:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They no longer have to be rebuilt. The technology (along with the BATFE doing a fine job of re-classifying the guts) has come a long way since then.

A good can will run you from $275 (YHM Mite) to $299 (Gemtech Outback II). The Mite is kind of cool because it comes apart for cleaning.

It has been a long time since I payed any attention to suppressor's. My last was on a full auto Mac-10 in .45 cal back in the early 80's.

I have recently thinking about getting one for a 22 cal. Have they changed much since then? Do they still need to be rebuilt,wipes changed etc. How often, etc? Help bring me up to speed on them. Prices?:cool:

Go to http://www.silencertests.com/ for more info.

Guest Hornet Handler
Lauer and YHM both make great cans at 250.00

We have around 30 suppressors in stock, so if you are ever in the area and want to fondle one, make sure you stop by

Yeah, Joe like people stoping by and grabing his can! :biglol:

Joe, does anyone currently make an off-bore type can, (like the old maxim muffler from the '20's)? Something I could put on a woodsman without losing my sight picture?

Mark

YHM showed me their prototype last year at SHOT, but havent released it yet.

I spoke with my guy Nate, and he said they were getting close on production versions.

• 3 months later...
Guest ridge rover

I've been searching for can info on the net. The Warlock or is it Warlord? Anyway, that was the .22 can to get. But I continued my search.

The Spectre is it! Works well on full auto, pistols, or rifles. Ya can take it apart. Its SS so ya can clean it with out taking it apart!

Search that silencerforums link, all the info ya need! But who carrys this Spectre can?

I considered the Mite. Some say its OK on a rifle yet loud on a pistol. And the first shot is too loud! Anyway, do an info search. Ya pays your money and takes yer pick!

My can weapon is a 4 inch barrel Pac-lite conversion .22 Ruger Mark II. It took the guy at GunCity to rebuild it properly after another gunshop really screwed it up!

Guest crotalus01

I have a YHM Mite, and I beg to differ. It has a quieter FRP than many other cans I have heard including the Specter, works equally well on rifles and pistols, and is FA rated (both alluminium and stainless models).

As with all cans, YMMV and you know what they say about opinions and *******s...

Guest ridge rover

My info is from the silencer forum, however, I am still checking.

I do appreciate first hand info and the jury is still confused! I saw someone at a gun show selling the Mite at a very reasonable price, I almost took the bait! And still might. Now I have a little more time to check things out.

Guest crotalus01

FWIW many of my friends say my Mite makes my Walther sound like a paintball gun.

My neighbor is a retired cop and I asked him to stand inside his door (closed) while I shot 5 rounds into a phonebook in my backyard, then told him to come out and asked if he heard anything - he didnt. When I told him I had just fired 5 .22 LR rounds he didnt believe me until I let him shoot it. :up:

Guest colombianito1021

What exactly do you have to do to get a suppressor on a handgun? Does it have to have treads at the end of the barrel? I would love to be able to put one on my pps or even buy a p22.

A few questions:

1. Apart from the gun and attachment cost, a can is gonna run $400-$500 once you add in the ATF taxes?

2.What are the practical benefits of a silencer on something larger than .22 (say 6.8 SPC AR).

3. Are they legal for hunting or are they a range only type thing?

Thanks

Guest crotalus01

The Walther P-22 comes with the barrel threaded from the factory - but you need an adapter (at least for the Mite) that runs about $30. I believe the Sig Mosquito comes with a threaded barrel as well but I am not 100% sure. Alternatively some cans use a quick release system but I have no experience with those.

As for the cost, .22 cans run in the $200-$400 range, 9mms start about $400 and up, .45 starts about $600 and up, 7.62 starts about $550 and up. That does not include the $200 for the tax stamp.

Silenced hunting is legal in Tennessee.

Benefits of a silencer are no hearing damage when shooting, reduction in noise pollution, they are great for training new shooters because there is no flinch at the big bang when they squeeze the trigger. For LEOs they are great for clearing meth labs since there is no muzzle flash that could ignite volitile chemicals found in such places. For hunting you can take down an animal without alerting other prey in the area.

Plus they are just generally fun to shoot, and have that taticool vibe for those that are into that sort of thing. :D

Guest colombianito1021

I was at G&L today and asked about suppressors. I was told that there are manufactures that make threaded barrels for almost all types of handguns. I forgot what were the names. Does anybody know where i can search for a threaded barrel for my pps?

I just spent the afternoon at Ulsetons and while talking with Rick the owner, he is helping me get a supperssor made for my new purchase, Sig Mosquito in digi camo. I cant wait to shoot it. He can walk you through all the steps. BTW, it is not cheap! Expect to dish out 500-700 total.

I was at G&L today and asked about suppressors. I was told that there are manufactures that make threaded barrels for almost all types of handguns. I forgot what were the names. Does anybody know where i can search for a threaded barrel for my pps?

EFK, Jarvis, Barsto, and i'm sure a few others.