External Flash for DSLR?

• Moderators

Next Thursday I will be shooting a wedding for a friend. I'll be using my Canon T3i with primarily 50mm 1.4 lens. It is an indoor wedding and I am afraid of ambient light not being bright enough. I am considering purchasing an external flash, and it looks like the Speedlite 430EX II is quite well respected from all the sources I have looked at. I have never used an external flash before but would love to give it a try. Of course using such a flash means you can create very harsh shadows if used incorrectly. I'd primarily be using this flash for indoor settings/events and portraits. Should I go for it? Can you tell me much I need to know about bouncing a flash? My theory is to add to my gear as I slowly shoot events and photos for people that pay me. If my hobby eventually lets me buy professional equipment, then perhaps someday I can do it professionally!

• Like 1

Talk to the pastor/church, as some will not allow flash photography during wedding ceremonies, others won't allow cameras/photographers in the chapel at all during services. (200mm f2.0L to the rescue!) If you need a flash I would rent a few for the event over buying the one.

Edited by 2.ooohhh
  • Moderators

Talk to the pastor/church, as some will not allow flash photography during wedding ceremonies, others won't allow cameras/photographers in the chapel at all during services. (200mm f2.0L to the rescue!) If you need a flash I would rent a few for the event over buying the one.

Well, I understand the concern but I don't think it will be an issue. Although I will mention it though just to make 100% sure. I'm more interested in buying an external flash for general use, with the added benefit of being able to use it Thursday!

That's a good flash.  Bouncing flash is pretty simple, you just have to be aware of your surroundings and where the ambient light is coming from.  Sometimes the ceiling is best, sometimes a side wall works better.  A diffuser can also help to soften the light.  In a pinch, several layers of scotch tape works too. 

That said, the 1.4 should do pretty well on it's own. I'd guess you'd only really need the flash if doing a big group (wedding party + family, etc.) or maybe during the reception if there's dancing. 

External flash is a pretty big learning curve.  Took me a while to figure it out, and I sill wouldn't say that I've mastered it but I'd say I'm proficient.  Isn't quite as easy as slapping it onto the camera and shooting just as you were before. 

For portraits and Weddings you need to get the flash off the camera. Does the T3i have the ability to trigger a flash wireless? If so I’d try to find a deal on a used 580 EX. But yes, you need a flash. The Speedlight is a part of the EOS package and any serious indoor photography requires one; the 430EX would be a good choice.

If you must keep the flash on the camera, use the diffuser. The 580 has one built in, but if you buy something that doesn't they are pretty cheap.

Check this out; its "THE" Canon forum and a tremendous source of valuable info.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Sneak in before the wedding and shoot some practice photos to get your settings and flash angles right. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great suggestion.  If the reception is somewhere else, go there too.  Though I'd suggest you ask first, rather than sneak.  ;) 

Guest Broomhead

Be careful putting something right on the lens of the flash, like scotch tape. I burned the lens of an on-camera flash by placing a single layer of tissue right up against it.

Your T3i should have some settings to compensate for the flash being too harsh also, my T2i has a few. Just experiment a little if/when you can.