DB9 failure video

K191145

Well at least for me, I want a handgun with a barrell that will tolerate a little more pressure than what is recomended. I would think that a handgun manufacturer that made a 9mm would realize that even though they printed in their manual not to fire +p ammo that someone out there will no doubt fire +p ammo through it. Design it for something else to break, not split the freaking barrell and potentially damage someones trigger finger. I don't care if it's the shooters fault for not following manufacture's recomendations, we all know how jurys are and they are takeing a risk of loosing a lawsuit. Dumb people will cost you money, make your barrells stronger.
I have a great idea for handgun makers. Design ALL your handguns to handle +p ammo, add an ounce or two of weight and tac on $50 to $100 extra bucks to the price.
Better than loosing a lawsuit for 200K to 1 million.

It is a warning in the instructions. It is like loading a gun with the wrong ammunition and then trying to blame the manufacturer because you used the wrong ammunition.

I seriously doubt a jury will award someone for using the wrong ammunition. It would cost them a lot to mount a defense but a user not following the directions and using the wrong ammunition should not cost them anything. Matter of fact the customer should have to pay all legal fees, including the manufacturer's, if they try to sue over their own negligence and loose.

• Like 3

It is a warning in the instructions. It is like loading a gun with the wrong ammunition and then trying to blame the manufacturer because you used the wrong ammunition.

I seriously doubt a jury will award someone for using the wrong ammunition. It would cost them a lot to mount a defense but a user not following the directions and using the wrong ammunition should not cost them anything. Matter of fact the customer should have to pay all legal fees, including the manufacturer's, if they try to sue over their own negligence and loose.

I wouldn't award anybody any money either if I was on the jury but what "should be" isn't always the case. There are plenty of people who would blame the gun maker. I don't reload and not too familiar with pressures but in a search I read that there's only about/around a 10% increase in pressure from most 9mm standard and 9mm +p. I still think a barrell shouldn't split. Glock, Ruger and other makers can make affordable lightweight guns that can handle +p ammo in most all calibers.

Well i'm not going to make an absolute judgement on this handgun because of this video, maybe the shooter isn't telling the whole story, he claims he shot Cor Bon PRball which is 100 grain +p and the barrell failed after 5 shots. I've watched a couple of other videos where the shooter in that video shot 115 grain +p ammo in one and it functioned fine. I also found this review.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/diamondback-db9-review/

At the time of this shoot, a Diamondback sales rep was stating on their forum that limited use of +P ammunition was okay in a DB9. Fair enough! Richard loaded up a magazine full of mixed 9mm +P loads and let ‘er rip. The gun cycled every round without incident.

This recently appeared on Diamondback’s DB9 web page: “Notice: Diamondback Firearms does not recommend using any 9mm Bullets above 124 gr or any Ammunition that is rated NATO, +P, +P+ or anything else that is higher than SAAMI Standard pressure 9mm. The DB9 is the smallest and lightest 9mm available on the market and was not designed for the abuse and damage that these rounds cause. Any use of non recommended ammunition in a Diamondback Firearms will void the warranty.”

Another video the guy states that Dimondback doesn't recommend +p ammo because of excessive slide wear but nothing is stated about barrells failing, anyway, the barrell split on this particular DB9 for whatever reason and if the reason is only a 10% increase in pressure then it's not a handgun I would trust with any ammo. It's hard for me to believe that that was the reason the barrell failed. Edited by K191145