New AR Upper Decision - barrel quality

I am buying a new complete upper as a gift to myself. Want something more accurate than my current 1:9 16" barrel.

I have found a couple of options and want to get some TGO opinions please. This upper will go on my current PSA lower with Magpul stock - maybe for 4th of July sale will grab another lower kit.

1. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-chf-20-5-56mm-1-7-rifle-length-a2-profile-w-bcg-charging-handle.html

20" rifle length, CHF barrel made by FN. I do not need the BCG and CH but it is included. Found a guy on another forum selling the exact same upper kit, brand new and I could get it even cheaper.

2. http://www.jsesurplus.com/JSE18WilsonArms1x85.56MolyTargetCrownedwithFrontSightBaseComp.aspx

This has a 18" barrel made by Wilson Arms. 1:8 twist instead of the 1:7, also has the BCG and CH.

I researched and verified that I could shoot the rifle length upper with no issues using my carbine buffer (I have standard, heavy and H2 buffers to switch if the installed H2 ends up being too heavy).
 know the CHF FN barrels are highly rated, but a few minutes on Google are turning up good reviews of the Wilson Arms barrels. Price between the two is not a concern - I just want to know which barrel should be better suited for accuracy.

Of the two I'd probably opt for the Wilson tactical. I think the PSA *might* have slightly more potential to unlock with a longer barrel, but the Wilson has the 1/8 twist better suited to across the board accuracy.

If you were looking to build a rifle specifically with firing heavier or lighter loads I imagine you could milk a bit more accuracy with a twist rate suited to said weight, but don't know that for sure, just guessing.
I know the 1:8 will easily stabilize 69gr bullets and should even work well for 75-77gr. But really 55 to 69gr will be the majority of what I shoot.
I don't think the 2 inches will make a huge difference at the ranges I will shoot (about 300 yards max).

This upper will be for punching tiny holes in paper and deer hunting since will be able to use heavier bullets. My current 16" 1:9 will be for general plinking and home defense.

Anyone else? Any ideas on another upper I should be considering? I suppose I could go with a 16" mid length but I am thinking an 18" will be slightly more accurate...
I suppose a BCM 16" mid length would probably about be as accurate as the JSE 18" with Wilson barrel?
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Centurion-COSMO-p/bcm-urg-mid-16-c4-12-cos.htm

I have narrowed it down to a couple of options right now - all from JSE with 18" WIlson Arms barrels. Never had a stainless rifle barrel before, but I know that that a free float barrel is the best way to go. To get a stainless, free floated barrel price jumps up about $100 more than the stainless with standard HG I linked above - above what I was wanting to spend. 

I know I could buy the stainless above and add a FF handguard later on, but a quick search shows most mid-length HG are around $100++ anyways. I will think it over today and then order one of them - read a lot of good things about Wilson Arms barrels since yesterday so I am sticking with one of them.

Barrel length doesn't affect accuracy. In fact, a shorter barrel may tend to be a little more accurate for a given profile, because it can have a little less whip. Barrel length affects velocity.  Lots of pieces to that conversation.

A 1:8 twist handles 77 grain Matchkings just fine. That's about as big as you're gonna get if you want your ammo to fit into a magazine. Anything bigger, and you gotta run the gun in single shot mode.

The trade-off is always accuracy at a given range vs the weight of the gun. For hunting, you gotta add in the amount of smack you are going to have at a given range. I wouldn't fret too much over a 2" difference. Depending on how they're chambered, the 18 could wind up being as fast as the 20. It's also probably gonna be lighter, depending on the profile of the two.

Best thing you can do for accuracy is to free float the barrel, and then tweak your loads for optimum barrel time. Oh... and use good bullets.

I used a 223 Wydle in a Rainer Arms 18" stainless barrel mid length gas port with 1:8 twist in my longer range build. I've shot upto 69g bullets but have not tried the 77 g yet, due to price of bullets and availability at LCS. I've save brass but have not reloaded for 5.56/223 yet. The 69 g bullet is the most accurate so far, but need to try the 77 g.

Good luck with your build.

I'd say go for the stainless barrel and free float out the gate. If you don't already have the tools to build the upper and take it apart, your looking at another $50-$60 on top of the cost of the new handguard. Cheaper in the long run to get it the way you want it, whichever way that may be.

Accuracy has more to do with the ammo than the quality of the barrel. You can take the best barrel in the world and if you shoot crappy ammo through it will not be accurate. On the other hand you can take almost any barrel and get excellent accuracy if you find ammo it likes or hand load ammo for it.

Shooter experience also has a lot to do with it but 90% of the accuracy comes from the ammo.

• Like 1
Upper arrived today, have to wait until Sunday to shoot it though. Finish on the upper and hand guards is a bit scuffed in a couple spots but doesn't bother me.
Have to get some 55gr SP and 69gr Nosler CC loaded up for testing, looks like all I have loaded is 55gr FMJ.
Put 100 rounds through it Sunday. Shot very well, should be much better as I actually build loads for this barrel.

55gr Hornady SP and 69gr Nosler CC - easily putting 8 rounds in 1.5" at 100 yards just shooting from a sand bag.

Need to measure headspace and adjust my sizing die for minimal setback, then get more rounds loaded up and play around with OAL.