Where is all the target .380?

Garufa, I'm new to shooting, and I'm wondering, what are the downsides of steel cased ammo? Is there a reason that some people might not use it?

2 main reasons... The first is that steel cases do not readily expand and seal the chamber, allowing gasses into the breech. This is especially problematic with blowback pistols (which most .380s are) since the cycle is not delayed by case friction. This results in higher slide velocities and more frame wear.

The second is extractor hardness... Steel (actually ductile iron) cases are much harder than brass, and may cause some premature extractor wear or chipping. Edited by molonlabetn
  • Like 1
Ran into the same issue. Started watching gun bot and found a fair deal for a thousand rounds of Blazer brass ball ammo for a little over $350 including shipping.

Any order over $200 had free shipping.

I've come to the conclusion bulk is the only way to go ... market is still unstable and will be for some time.
  • Like 1

Ran into the same issue. Started watching gun bot and found a fair deal for a thousand rounds of Blazer brass ball ammo for a little over $350 including shipping.

Any order over $200 had free shipping.

I've come to the conclusion bulk is the only way to go ... market is still unstable and will be for some time.

That's what I've been trying to do for the last few years. Buying a box or 2 just doesn't seem to work, It just doesn't stay around long.

But a case. Now that will last a while. Especially if you keep thinking that if I open the case...it'll be gone soon. So..I'll get another case.

Seriously, 500 to 1000 round buys is by far the best way to go. Typically, until recently, you got a decent price break on it. Now we should buy just to have it on hand.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm going to start seriously looking into buying bulk.  Seems like the way to go under the circumstances.  In the meantime, a friend of mine was in a lgs this morning, and they just happened to have 3 boxes, so he picked one up for me.  I could have gotten all 3, but I'd rather leave some for others to use.  So if y'all are anywhere near Fugate's in Calhoun and are looking for .380, Carmen should still have a couple of boxes left.  She'll open again on Thursday.

I began noticing 380  ammo going in the same direction as 22lr ammo was going at about the same time and was also noticing the gun stores were selling more and more 380 firearms because of affordability and of course if you purchase a firearm your going to purchase ammo for it. Of course most folks know what I shoot by my screen name and I have  four 380's to feed including an LCP and I am sure glad I was paying attention because I began buying a few boxes here and there back in 08 and in 2010 ordered  2 bulk orders when I caught it on sale. Now I will still buy a box or two if I see them but if the prices is to far off I leave it. I began buying 22lr even though I only had two 22lr pistols hoping I would find a long gun which I did about 10 days ago from Jonathon so now glad I kept buying 22lr's as I ran up on them. Pretty well set unless WWIII breaks out anytime in my lifetime on our homeland............jmho

• Like 1