Anyone have experience with Ritchie Tractor?

Glenn

Took my John deere mower to Ritchie Tractor in Knoxville (the JD dealer) for some minor service and Maint. Got a call in a few days that it needed much more than it went in for, including a leaking head gasket. went ahead and had everything done. It's a nice mower and I was planning on keeping it for as long as possible. finally picked it up a week later (friday). Saturday I started mowing, everything running great. 45 minutes in. mower suddenly stops and won't start. I look and seems motor is locked up tight. I call Ritchie and they say bring it back in but since I don't have anyway to haul it this week they agree to pick it up Monday. Now it is late tuesday and it is still sitting in my front yard. Every time I call I get true same story. We are running behind, but we will get it tomorrow. i am trying to remain calm because once I get mad it is not a pretty sight. Sorry, needed to rant.

I had a Scag lock up like that once  - the carb needle valve stuck and filled the cylinders with gas.  Hope yours is no more serious than that.

Edited by enfield

We've done some business with them at work but it's been heavy equipment.  They seem to have a tendency to over diagnose and oversell parts, by that I mean that there is often a cheaper way to properly fix a problem, yet they will make sure you leave there shop spending as much money as you can.  I know that's just business but that's not the kind of friendly service that keeps me coming back.  Hope yo get a new motor out of it, seems like it had to be an over sight on their part that caused the problem.

I agree with 10-ring. I'd never own a JD mower, parts and service are absurd. My F-I-L and G-F-I-L both have mowers. For the same price as 2 or 3 of their annual tune-ups, one could just buy a new Murray or Craftsman. JD makes darn fine tractors, but their mowers are average at best.

Glenn, check the oil. Wonder if they forgot to refill it? Edited by peejman
I wouldn't have anything but a Deere. Had them my whole life and have never had a major issue. I also do all maintenance myself. I guess it depends on how you grew up. As with anything, service from dealer to dealer can be much different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with 10-ring. I'd never own a JD mower, parts and service are absurd. My F-I-L and G-F-I-L both have mowers. For the same price as 2 or 3 of their annual tune-ups, one could just buy a new Murray or Craftsman. JD makes darn fine tractors, but their mowers are average at best.is "old"

Glenn, check the oil. Wonder if they forgot to refill it?

I've never been a big JD fan myself.  I mowed commercially for about 7 years and owned a 48" JD walk behind.  It was always a good machine but parts were expensive.  Having owned several different kinds of commercial mowers I've never been a fan of residential grade tractors, I much prefer a walk behind or Z-turn.  Well my FIL gave me his "old" JD tractor this spring and I will have to say that it has one of the best cuts of any mower I have ever used.  I'll also say that it is built much better than the cheaper brands of mowers.  Of course I do all maintenance myself and to the dismay of my FIL I will not be using JD oil, spark plugs, etc.  It will get Mobil 1 just like everything else in my garage.  I figure the parts are more expensive but I will buy less of them and spend less time working on the mower so I'm okay with it.  Of course I did have to get a free mower to realize this.

I guess expectations vary.  I've an old Craftsman that came with the house.  I've had it for 6 years, but I don't know how old it is.... maybe 10 years old?  Anyway... I change the oil, blow out the air filter, and sharpen the blades once/yr.  Had to replace the battery a few years ago.  Never replaced a plug.  I bought new blades this spring because I hit a stump with one last fall and a hit a rock hiding in the grass with the other blade during the first mowing this spring.  I leveled the deck when I replaced the blades and the grass looked a little more even.  My only complaint is that it doesn't go fast enough.  It won't even wheelie!  :cry:  

F-I-L spent something like $1300 replacing the transmission in his 5 yr old Deere a couple years ago.  And that's on top of the $200-$300 annual service.  Granted, he's a big dude with a big yard, but one could buy a whole new mower for that.  :shrug:

My first thought was no oil, but I checked and it has oil. Don't think I will own another JD. Mine has the auto transmission which I have since learned will probably be the next thing to fail. I was scheduled for pick up first thing Monday. they finally got it today. GRRRRR

I went in there to buy some tires for my wife's Cub Cadet. I told them the size and what tire type. He asked if it was for a John Deer and I said no. The person then told me he could help me even though it looked like they had the tires I was wanting.

Probably 1/2 the price at TSC anyway.

• Like 1

I suspected it may be one of the D series.  As with most things, there are different levels of quality in the various series of mowers.  I see this somewhat frequently from some (not directed at you, but a general statement) that buy a John Deere at Lowe's or Home Depot (or even at the JD dealer) and don't realize that it is not what I would consider to be a "real" John Deere.  The D series you find at Home Depot and Lowes are simply the cheap versions built to meet a price point.  This is ok as long as people understand what they are buying.  The frames, engines, decks, hydraulics, tires, and just about everything else on them are selected solely for the purpose to meet a price point.  With that decision comes many side affects which are mainly a less reliable and shorter life mower.

I understand that everyone can't or just doesn't want to spend the money on a true John Deere.  This isn't even limited to John Deere.  Look at most high quality mowers, Exmark, Scag, etc, and you can pretty quickly see that what you get for $1000 is not even close to what you get for $8000.   That's ok, I understand that everyone doesn't want/need an $8000 mower.  However you can buy a used "real" John Deere for much less than this and it will last you forever with proper maintenance.   The issue is when people buy a "John Deere" whether it is one at HD or Lowes, they think they are buying the same quality as a higher end John Deere.  That just isn't the case.  It's comparing apples to oranges.  So to say you wouldn't buy another John Deere based on this isn't really a good comparison.

It stinks that you are having issues and even worse that this dealer appears to take advantage of the situation.  

• Like 1

I am currently a service tech for TN Tractor, the JD dealer on the other end of the state.  In my opinion they should have bent over backwards to fix this issue for you. It is a busy time for the shop but that is not an excuse for this situation. You should be made a priority.

You took the mower in to be serviced and they looked over it for anything else that could be wrong with it. You then had them fix what they found to be wrong with it. Therefore,more than likely this will be a rework ticket. Even if this is an issue not related to the work that was done it was the mechanics responsibility to look for anything that could cause a problem.

I suspected it may be one of the D series.  As with most things, there are different levels of quality in the various series of mowers.  I see this somewhat frequently from some (not directed at you, but a general statement) that buy a John Deere at Lowe's or Home Depot (or even at the JD dealer) and don't realize that it is not what I would consider to be a "real" John Deere.  The D series you find at Home Depot and Lowes are simply the cheap versions built to meet a price point.  This is ok as long as people understand what they are buying.  The frames, engines, decks, hydraulics, tires, and just about everything else on them are selected solely for the purpose to meet a price point.  With that decision comes many side affects which are mainly a less reliable and shorter life mower.

I understand that everyone can't or just doesn't want to spend the money on a true John Deere.  This isn't even limited to John Deere.  Look at most high quality mowers, Exmark, Scag, etc, and you can pretty quickly see that what you get for $1000 is not even close to what you get for $8000.   That's ok, I understand that everyone doesn't want/need an $8000 mower.  However you can buy a used "real" John Deere for much less than this and it will last you forever with proper maintenance.   The issue is when people buy a "John Deere" whether it is one at HD or Lowes, they think they are buying the same quality as a higher end John Deere.  That just isn't the case.  It's comparing apples to oranges.  So to say you wouldn't buy another John Deere based on this isn't really a good comparison.

It stinks that you are having issues and even worse that this dealer appears to take advantage of the situation.  

Never buy a D or LA series JD mower, or the other brands equivalent, they are not made to last.

I certainly realize that there are different quality levels in mowers, as in everything else. I wasn't the least bit surprised that the steering gear stripped. Hey, our yard is rough. I was more asking about the dealer's service practices. They are now telling me the PTO clutch is bad. another $225.00. If I have to pay $8,000 for a lawnmower that will last more than 3 years, I will just start having someone else mow the yard.

In 2006 I bought my wife a Cub Cadet and other than replacing a drive belt and blades nothing else has required work. Our yard is not flat or smooth and she runs up and down a serious grade in the full summer heat without issue. We checked and we have 200 hours on the motor now and it runs just as good today as the day we bought it.

I certainly realize that there are different quality levels in mowers, as in everything else. I wasn't the least bit surprised that the steering gear stripped. Hey, our yard is rough. I was more asking about the dealer's service practices. They are now telling me the PTO clutch is bad. another $225.00. If I have to pay $8,000 for a lawnmower that will last more than 3 years, I will just start having someone else mow the yard.

Glenn.... If ya decide to buy another mower; either go see McGinley's on Alcoa Highway (...Cub Cadet...) or Deal's Small Engine in Clinton (...Hustler; my favorite zero turn mower....)   they are both princely folks; and they sell the "real article"...

The sad fact is that a  "real" John Deere, Cub, Kubota, Hustler; or any other model is gonna cost a pretty good chunk of money... I bought a 2185 Cub Cadet for $4100 in 1994 that mowed about an acre for 18 years... Our current mower is a Hustler Fastrak Zero Turn that mows the acre in about 1 hour... The cost: $2100; as it was a used mower... The Cadet was a great mower... The Hustler came to me "used"; it is a 2006 model and is simply the best mower ive ever seen... 

PS-- I dont want to start a "brand war"; as they are all good mowers at an equal price point; but JD has been running a long time on a stupendous ad campaign and name recognition... I think they are too expensive for the quality and longevity received in service... 

leroy

Edited by leroy

JD has been running a long time on a stupendous ad campaign and name recognition... I think they are too expensive for the quality and longevity received in service... 

leroy

I agree

If you where in the franklin area I would recommend this guy in spring hill. Very upstanding gentlemen and always friend a great service. Never wronged us so far and his prices are really really good. 

Glenn.... If ya decide to buy another mower; either go see McGinley's on Alcoa Highway (...Cub Cadet...) or Deal's Small Engine in Clinton (...Hustler; my favorite zero turn mower....) they are both princely folks; and they sell the "real article"...

The sad fact is that a "real" John Deere, Cub, Kubota, Hustler; or any other model is gonna cost a pretty good chunk of money... I bought a 2185 Cub Cadet for $4100 in 1994 that mowed about an acre for 18 years... Our current mower is a Hustler Fastrak Zero Turn that mows the acre in about 1 hour... The cost: $2100; as it was a used mower... The Cadet was a great mower... The Hustler came to me "used"; it is a 2006 model and is simply the best mower ive ever seen...

PS-- I dont want to start a "brand war"; as they are all good mowers at an equal price point; but JD has been running a long time on a stupendous ad campaign and name recognition... I think they are too expensive for the quality and longevity received in service...

leroy

I was going to suggest McGinley's for parts. Probably for service or a new machine too, but I've never used them for those. The old guy in there can be a bit gruff at first but he knows his stuff and will help you. After he sees you a couple times, he's a lot nicer.

My MTD turns 18 years old this year.  I maintain it myself, and we mow a little over an acre with it that puts 1.25-1.5 hrs on the meter per mowing.  We also use it for seeding, de-thatching and fertilization operations.  It has the 14.5 Hp Briggs and a 6-speed manual gearbox.  Every June I change the oil, sharpen the blades, replace the air filter, and fuel filter (I use a real in-line fuel filter not the screen type).  I buy a new spark plug every 3 years.  This year she got new front tires from Northern Tool, and I bought a new battery about 8 years ago.  Nothing else has been needed.

Unit cost on this mower was $750 at Sam's Club, and the glossy grey paint still shines.  I can't see shelling out all those $$ for a JD or CC big box or not.  Hmmm.  Maybe I'll ceramic coat the exhaust this winter.  ;)

Finally called Ritchie this morning. They were supposed to call me Thursday. Talked to the service manager. He went off for a long time, came back and told me the mower needed a new carb. That set me off. Told him I was not paying for a new carb. He called back in a few minutes and said, "oh, it doesn't need a new carb after all it will be fixed and ready to pick up Monday. I never authorized fixing anything else. His answer was if they call with a quote and you don't say no that is an authorization. I couldn't hear much else since my wife was screaming at the phone. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Think If i was being treated like I was a money machine by any dealership I would be looking for service from now on from a more reputable dealer/service center.

I know when I had my first fourwheeler( bombardier) i had nothing but bad luck from the dealership i bought it from( America's Motorsports). And since then after buying my current one from the local dealer( Tims Ford Powersports), I have had nothing but good luck out of them.

Service over sales should always be the way to go. JMHO.   And that's the only way businesses will succeed in repeat business.