Hey Willis I think the sickness is contagious.

I've always liked the though of auto knives but never tried to get one because of Tennessee laws on them. Now that the laws have changed and the group buy started it's all I can think of. I bought a Schrade Smedy to try and hold me over, I set and fire it a few times watching TV. Get a lot of dirty looks from the little woman that way. Well the Smedy helped but could not contain the lure of new toys.

To start I decided I was not going to run a Pro-Tech across my belt sander so I bought an Edge Pro from Chefstogo.com, it's there essential set with Shapton glass stones.  http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproesset.html Does a great job quick.

Then I'm surfing the web just looking and come across this and could not stop myself. :whistle:

MONACO-3-large.jpg

Pro-Tech Monaco/Tuxedo.

Blade is 154CM TI coating, 3.4 long, .110 thick. weighs 2.4 oz.

From what I can gather it is a discontinued model, found it at PVK. He had two, this one and a plain black one. Got it for $160.00.
I'm not buying anything else till August, barring a catastrophe I will be in on the Godfather. :up: Please let the Rockeye come early.

Joe W.

• Like 1

Good choice! Get the stop collar. It will allow you compensate for varying stone thickness. I have mostly Edge Pro stones, with Shaptons for the finer grits. I will replace with Shaptons as they wear out.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/5drstcowhexk.html

[media https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoHW3TUdz5s /media]

The kit came with the stop collar, quick change spring, and Platform Magnet. Liking it a lot, after getting the blade stropped some of the hair arm on my just went ahead and jumped off. I've wanted one for sometime, and it's turning out to be a good choice.

Joe W.

Edited by bronco302
  • Like 1

Sweet addition! The sharpening system is darn sweet too! Any recommendations on a quality sharpener systems for us poor people? 

Bottom of a coffee cup, but you need skill :) I got no skill :)

I got the Edge Pro because I just can't maintain a consistent angle, even with the Spyderco sharpener. Lots of folks like the Spyderco.

Like Mike said lots of folks like the Sharpmaker. I once could put a real good edge on a blade with bench stones but arthritis and lack of patience because of it has left me screwing up to much. I have Arkansas stones, DMT guided diamond set, tried an older Lansky. I did not like any of them. I even tried setting my oil stones on a ramp at the proper angle so I could hold the knife flat, worked pretty well but was still hit and miss.

When I got the Edge Pro I started on a knife I had lack luster success with on the DMT and in 30 about minutes the edge looked like a mirror and I took a little skin when I tried to shave a little hair from my arm. HTH.

Joe W.

• Like 1

To start I decided I was not going to run a Pro-Tech across my belt sander so I bought an Edge Pro from Chefstogo.com, it's there essential set with Shapton glass stones.  http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproesset.html Does a great job quick.

Whoa, you have to love your knives to spend that much on a sharpening solution. It doesn't look all that complex mechanically. What makes for the price?

Edited by tnguy

Whoa, you have to love your knives to spend that much on a sharpening solution. It doesn't look all that complex mechanically. What makes for the price?

It's high quality stuff. The stones are a big part of it. It depends on how much you have invested in your knives. It costs a little less than my regular carry knife. It's a drop in the bucket when I consider the value of all my knives.

Edited by mikegideon

It's high quality stuff. The stones are a big part of it. It depends on how much you have invested in your knives. It costs a little less than my regular carry knife. It's a drop in the bucket when I consider the value of all my knives.

Looks like there are cheaper options for the overall kit and some people are getting that and upgrading the stones. As you say, if you're really into the knives, it's a drop in the bucket but for the rest of us, that may be a more likely option.

Looks like there are cheaper options for the overall kit and some people are getting that and upgrading the stones. As you say, if you're really into the knives, it's a drop in the bucket but for the rest of us, that may be a more likely option.

Sure, there are cheaper options. I bought the Apex 4 kit directly from Edge Pro, and then added the 2000, 4000, and 8000 grit Shapton stones. The stones are a chunk of the cost. It's a really good system, that will allow you to put a mirror edge on a knife. I agree, not worth it for beater knives. For more expensive knives, I wouldn't touch them with anything less. There are plenty of folks that have the skills to do it on flat stones. I just won't ever be one of them.

• Like 1

This path seems familiar.  First it was the 1911.  Then it was Amateur Radio.  Now I'm starting another addition with knives. 

At this rate, I don't need to start thinking about retirement anytime soon. :rofl:

Edited by tnhawk