AR Bolt Assit Installation

I installed a RRA bolt assit on a JBO stripped upper receiver. The roll pin installation went smoothly, but when I looked at upper receiver assit area there was a hairline crack. See photo. Has anyone had this problem, and is it an installation problem or a upper receiver forging problem?

I installed roll pin from opposite side from where hairline crack appeared.

[URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/lshel63/media/DSC_0005.jpg.html]DSC_0005.jpg[/URL]

I agree with the others, it looks more like a tool mark than a crack, but yes, it won't hurt to give them a call if it's really cracked.

Having looked at the full resolution pic... doesn't look like a crack to me either.  Looks more like a tool mark or blemish in the finish. 

Dab a bit of penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a few minutes, then clean the surface thoroughly with alcohol.  Set the rifle so that area is down and leave it for a couple hours.  If any oil wicks out of that area, it may be a crack.  If it stays dry, probably not. 

Without a doubt the most useless but cool looking feature on these guns...  the weapon was designed by Stoner where if the bolt did not close you were forced to eject the round, probably a bad round... When the army added it to the A1 design in 67/68, without a doubt it caused a few lost lives in Vietnam... force a round, then rip the rim off the case when it won't come out - busted gun.

But I can say in the 16 years I've been a cop, I have used it a few times when approaching a home/building and needing to charge my weapon quietly.. THAT has been the only time I've ever had a need for it.

As the others said, it doesn't look like a crack to me but more like the tool bit exited or entered too close to the receiver when machining.  I've never had one crack and I've broken several pins off installing.  Even if it was a crack you'd still be ok.

• Like 1

I sent original photo and two photos with area/scrastch oiled to Joe Bob Outfitter's sales. They felt it was a scratch or tool mark also. They gave me credit for difference in price of a blem upper receiver vs JBO receiver. JBO is a good place to order AR parts/etc with fast delivery and fast response to product questions.

• Like 5
Guest bat2156

i would get it changed that way it will be fixed if you want to sell it and it will work for a longer period of time if you abuse it.

Never had that problem. Looks like a blemish to me. I'd run the hell out of it and not worry about it. Kinda looks like a hair got stuck to it then removed when wet. Guess joe bob Dunn blemished yer gun. If it makes you loose sleep. Sell it to one of us here and buy a noveske or POF !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I would have to agree that it is a scratch. Looks aside, unless it was cracked before the hole was drilled, I really think the chances are super low that the crack would start up on one side of the hole then stop when it reaches the hole and then pick up and go again on the other side. How's your assembly going?

This build was a 16" light weight carbine length at 5.5 lbs shoots and handles well, but I have an 18" mid length in 223 Wylde for longer ranges,  another SW 16" mid length 5.56/223, another SW 18" mid length in 308/7.62x51 for even longer ranges, and a RRA 16" carbine 9mm. Now I'm questioning why I built this one. AR assembling/accessories are too addicitive and consume too much cash, but probably a good investment.

Edited by lshel