legal carry motel

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it boils down to whether the motel room is considered you residence or premises, if so it is legal of course.

I believe it is, but others have posted how exactly it is considered your residence, maybe they can explain further soon.

Knoxville had a muder and rape last week where hotel employee let himself in with pass key, A real shame young girl from alabama in town for job training. It was on respectable side of town they have him in custody may be others involved. Just not right

I've never seen any verbiage which would indicate that having a loaded weapon in one's hotel room is illegal, so long as it was transported to and from there in a secured manner (unloaded).

I agree..

It just seems like I remember others posting something like paying for the motel room contracts it as your "temporary residence" or something like that.

Knoxville had a muder and rape last week where hotel employee let himself in with pass key, A real shame young girl from alabama in town for job training. It was on respectable side of town they have him in custody may be others involved. Just not right

That is the very reason I use the chain or other security methods they have that lock the door while you are in the room.

Guest db99wj

The only time I have not carried in a hotel is when I have had to fly. I'm probably going to change that due to some of the comments on here about fly/carry.

I have traveled several times and stayed in a hotel, motel like a Holiday Inn, Microtel etc, I am carrying.

One thing is that I typically won't stay in a motel that has outside access, if I can't help it, I want on the 2nd floor. I would rather have interior access only, and if my wife were to have to travel, I would demand it.

Guest EDWSRTN

Some where along the line i red about hotels and motels, and it went like this.

If you stay over a 24 hour period your a residence. Say for exsample if you was too ask where is the pool at. The clerk would reply are you a residence here? :up:.

Here are a couple times hotel/motel are mentioned that would make you think a motel room is not a public place and is condsiderd your residence.

7-4-101(3)

“Hotel†means any structure, or any portion of any structure, that is occupied or intended or designed for occupancy by transients for dwelling, lodging or sleeping purposes, and includes any hotel, inn, tourist court, tourist camp, tourist cabin, motel or any place in which rooms, lodgings or accommodations are furnished to transients for a consideration

and

39-13-511(a)(2)(:up:(ii)

Premises used solely as a private residence, whether permanent or temporary in nature, are not deemed to be a public place. “Public place†does not include enclosed single sex public restrooms, enclosed single sex functional showers, locker or dressing room facilities, enclosed motel rooms and hotel rooms designed and intended for sleeping accommodations, doctors' offices, portions of hospitals and similar places in which nudity or exposure is necessarily and customarily expected outside of the home and the sphere of privacy constitutionally protected therein; nor does it include a person appearing in a state of nudity in a modeling class operated by a proprietary school, licensed by the state of Tennessee, a college, junior college, or university supported entirely or partly by taxation, or a private college or university where such private college or university maintains and operates educational programs in which credits are transferable to a college, junior college, or university supported entirely or partly by taxation or an accredited private college. “Public place†does not include a private facility that has been formed as a family-oriented clothing optional facility, properly licensed by the state.

It calls it your "Dwelling" in the castle doc...I would say, hell yes,

This was the way I see it as well.

As far as flying...any questions with regards to this please feel free to pm me with any questions, I will try to get you a proper answer.

Guest db99wj

As far as flying...any questions with regards to this please feel free to pm me with any questions, I will try to get you a proper answer.

I saw that you work for the FAA, that's cool.

Are all airlines the same in regards to firearms. Lockable case, unloaded firearm, ammo in originial box, magazines empty. case locked?

Guest canynracer

I saw that you work for the FAA, that's cool.

Are all airlines the same in regards to firearms. Lockable case, unloaded firearm, ammo in originial box, magazines empty. case locked?

:stare::rock:

:P:p:p

I live in a hotel room probably 300 days out of the year. it IS legal. When you purchase your hotel room it's considered your legal domicile. I have quite a few pistols and a couple of rifles in my hotel room.

My wife keeps her pistol handy when she's in the hotel room. heck, I have been asked by one of the ladies that works on the office if she can go shooting with my wife and I.

I live in a hotel room probably 300 days out of the year. it IS legal. When you purchase your hotel room it's considered your legal domicile. I have quite a few pistols and a couple of rifles in my hotel room.

My wife keeps her pistol handy when she's in the hotel room. heck, I have been asked by one of the ladies that works on the office if she can go shooting with my wife and I.

+1 Any place where you contract overnight accommodations that are intended for such purpose becomes your legal temporary residence. Therefore the Castle Doctrine would apply.

The Castle Doctrine has nothing to do with being able to carry or store a firearm, just the use of it....

Well if we are gonna pick nits... My point is that under the law a person is protected in a dwelling under the castle doctrine. Any residence temporary or permanent would fall under that.

If you're in a dwelling you're not carrying it anywhere, it's a single location. You could say you are storing it yes, but the point is you only need a permit to carry a gun. Not to have it in a dwelling, shooting range, or your business in TN.

I see what you are saying and I don't disagree.

I just sort of see the Castle Doctrine more relating to the use of force as opposed to the general question of the OP. Because the Castle Doctrine says you are assumed to be in fear of death or great bodily harm if someone tries to break into your car...but you must still have your HCP to be able to have your weapon in your car.

Didn't mean to seem so short in my other post...had my attention diverted as I was posting it...

I see what you are saying and I don't disagree.

I just sort of see the Castle Doctrine more relating to the use of force as opposed to the general question of the OP. Because the Castle Doctrine says you are assumed to be in fear of death or great bodily harm if someone tries to break into your car...but you must still have your HCP to be able to have your weapon in your car.

Didn't mean to seem so short in my other post...had my attention diverted as I was posting it...

Yea I can see that. I kinda like Mississippi law in the respect that your home, auto, or business counts without having to have a permit.

Yea I can see that. I kinda like Mississippi law in the respect that your home, auto, or business counts without having to have a permit.

I sort of like VT and AK that say if you bought it you can carry it.

I did sort of think that by including cars in the list of places in the Castle Doctrine that someone in Nashville may have thought about the fact that you can't be legally armed in your car without a permit.

Didn't you recently have some crack head bust into your room looking for trouble?

It was on respectable side of town they have him in custody may be others involved. Just not right

There is no respectable side of Knoxville. Crime happens everywhere, murder of that girl near Lovell Road (west) , church shooting near campus (central), school shooting (north) mall shooting (east).

Its the west side snobs who want you to think it is better out there.

I agree, I just meant that it didn't happen at a run down dive I'm amazed that there seems to be a shooting daily in Knoxville. You use to never hear this I'm a blount county boy. It's only a matter of time until it filters my way.

Edited by laktrash