Plasti Dip

I've used it quite a bit!  I absolutely love it.  Don't hesitate, order it now!  Also, start out with light coats, then put it on thick (more durable and easier to peel off when you want to if its thick).

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. Home Depot and Lowe's have it in the paint section, so I can go get some today. It will make a nice Saturday project.

Do you know how many cans I'll need to do all 4 wheels?

Edited by daddyo
I used it a while ago to do the fender flares on my Wrangler and it lasted a good year or so but a few weeks ago I got a little happy with the pressure washer and washed a big chunk off. So then I sprayed the rest off and used Krylon Fusion to paint them back but they are plastic of course. I have always wanted to do my wheels and heard it does well. Please let us know how it turns out. I may follow.
It starts drying super quick, so keep that in mind as you're applying it as to not have an uneven looking coat. Also, the sun dries this stuff way fast, so try to do this in a garage or out of direct sunlight. The fumes from this stuff might knock ya down too, so do this someplace ventilated. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did it on our farm truck wheels back when I still lived at home. I used notecards around the edge of the wheel to keep from getting it on the tire. Worked pretty well, and getting it off is super simple
I did the wheels on my truck as well as the bow tie logos...it turned out really good.

The first two wheels I took off and sprayed, the second two I just masked them and did them on the vehicle.

Lots of cleaner followed by water, then blow them dry using the compressor worked great for me.

I've used this stuff just to see how black wheels would look on my four wheeler. If you have textured wheels or part of your wheels are textured, it won't work great. Best to use on a smooth surface. Also take your wheels off the vehicle and you can use painters tape around the wheels(on the tire) if you want to make it look more proffessional.

You may need several coats in order to fully coat your wheels. One coat will not do it. As for how many cans you'll need, it depends on the size of your wheels and how many coats you want. I have 12" wheels on my atv, and ended up using 2 cans.

Make sure your wheels are clean and free from any and all debris before you start. Just as if you were going to "paint". 

One trip to the pressure washer and it was all it took to take this stuff off. ( i have since painted the recessed areas on my atv( after sandblasting the textured areas). But the Plasti-dip method is good if you just want to check it out.

I did my wife's hubcaps last night and for the most part I was very satisfied.  This was my first plastidip project but certainly not my last.  I was under the impression that imperfections would be easier to cover up with the plastidip than spray paint, but that is not true at all.  The big advantage that I see over spray paint is that the finish is much smoother when done correctly.  I did two wheels at a time and spent a lot more time sanding the second two and got better results.  I only sanded them because the finish was flaking off.  If you do get an imperfection just let it dry, don't try to rub it out and reshoot that part it will make things worse.  Also seems that like paint, a few small coats will give you better coverage than a heavy coat.