Marlin 1936 30-30

Guest SgtFraser

Guest SgtFraser
Good afternoon gentlemen. First, let me say that all the knowledge that you guys gladly share with other gun owners is very refreshing. I'll often spend hours just viewing posts concerning firearms and their history, attempting to build my knowledge, and someday return the favor.

I did a good bit of research on the newest addition to my arsenal, a Marlin model 1936, chambered in 30-30. After taking in about all Marlin's site had to offer, I decided to contact them with my rifle's serial. They informed me that there was a fire during this period that basically destroyed all their records. So I've reached a wall. If there are any of you that have travelled down this road before and you don't mind enlightening me, it would be grately appreciated. It has a four digit serial, 63xx. I assumed that since it lacked a letter prefix, it was maufactured in 36, but I am not certain about this.

The barrel's lettering includes the New Haven, Conn. along with the "Special Smokeless Steel". Under the lever the serial is notated, and the top of the receiver is enscribed Marlin Safety. And behind the hammer is notated Marlin model 1936. The only other thing to provide, which probably offers little help, is a patented 1922 Noshoc pad.

The only other thing I havent seen on other models is the three machine screws running through the butt stock. Ive been told the stocks can be easily replaced on these models, and just assumed this one has never been replaced.

If anyone wouldnt mind relaying some info on this bad boy, I would be very grateful. If I have left out some pertinent information, I apologize, I've literally just decided to collect old long guns. Value isn't important to me, I have two young boys that will hopefully carry the tradition onward, but a few of my buddies seemed to believe it'd be around the 500 dollar mark. I honestly have no clue.

Thanks again guys for all the information, I'm proud to be included in this group. Have a blessed day

Sgt Dan Fraser, USMC

Welcome to the forum.

I would love to see some pictures of your rifle.

Is the wood checkered? Is the action color case hardened?

I expect a four digit serial number to be an early gun; perhaps first or second year of production.

The value of your rifle is based almost solely on condition.

Guest SgtFraser
Form the site posted by Runco, that serial with no prefix shows as a first production 1936, with the fluted comb stock and flat mainspring. It is case hardened, and no checkering. I will definitely provide some pictures as soon as I figure out how, sadly, Im a bit behind on technology.

The stock itself has some dings, obviously from a nearly 80 year old rifle, but I havent the slightest clue about evaluating condition.

Thanks for the welcoming greg and I was honored to serve Runco, thanks for your help as well.

Sgt Dan Fraser, USMC
Guest SgtFraser

[url=http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/CPLFRASER24/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140604_194049_zpsc4927060.jpg.html]IMG_20140604_194049_zpsc4927060.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/CPLFRASER24/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140604_194025_zps1404d854.jpg.html]IMG_20140604_194025_zps1404d854.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s1[URL=http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/CPLFRASER24/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140604_194102_zpseca66c80.jpg.html]IMG_20140604_194102_zpseca66c80.jpg[/URL]

Edited by KahrMan

I expect the screws in the stock are a poor attempt to repair a crack. It is a neat rifle for sure, but doesn't appear to be in very good condition, so it's value would be limited to what it's worth as a shooter, and heirloom, or for parts.

Have you fired it? I imagine it would shoot good. Definitely a fine deer rifle.

Guest SgtFraser

Negative, haven't taken her out yet. I did purchase some light loads and cycled it quite a bit, very smooth, but I have the great misfortune of living within city limits, so no shooting whenever I please. I appreciate all the input from you guys. Once I take her out Ill make sure to update the post.

Sgt Dan Fraser, USMC

Pretty cool rifle. Like Greg said looks like some one has done a repair, or some kind of personalization. Because there is only one screw on the top of the tang that holds the stock on. As for the SN. I'd say "probably" a first year production. Should be a fine little 30-30, a fine deer hunter.