ENTRY LEVEL AR RED DOT OR REFLEX SIGHT?

I built a polymer New Frontier Armory complete lower receiver with 16" 1:9 twist M4 profiled barrel with railed gasblock and milspec handguards, without loaded mag 5lb 7oz. I have some cheap UTG flipup sights, but fixed sights are just too slow and don't work for my aged eyes. I shot 35 rounds Of PMC 5.56 Nato ammo and zeroed sights for 50yds. Gun feed and extracted with little recoil. All extracted brass at 3:00-4:30.

I would like to try an entry level red dot or reflex sight to use out to 100yds but mostly 50 yds or less.  What would you recommend?

Have scopes on my 18" barreled 308 and 18" ss barreled Wydle 223 and both have flip-up battle sights..

I might take some flak for this but I've had a BSA red dot on one of my AR's for a few years now and have beat the piss out of it and it has several thousand rounds under it's belt. I've had ZERO issues whatsoever and has held zero every step of the way.. Best part is, one can be had for around $40-$50. If you're just testing the waters to see if you'd like one you''re welcome to borrow it for a while since it just got replaced with an EoTech today.

I might take some flak for this but I've had a BSA red dot on one of my AR's for a few years now and have beat the piss out of it and it has several thousand rounds under it's belt. I've had ZERO issues whatsoever and has held zero every step of the way.. Best part is, one can be had for around $40-$50. If you're just testing the waters to see if you'd like one you''re welcome to borrow it for a while since it just got replaced with an EoTech today.

It's funny, the one consistent with BSA in my experience is that if you have decent rings you'll have a decent scope. I've only had some of their lower end air rifle/.22 scopes and most of them weren't great, but considering how badly we used and abused our air rifles it is impressive how well they held up. The last scope of theirs I used was a rimfire model with green/blue/red reticle and was actually really nice for what it was.

It's funny, the one consistent with BSA in my experience is that if you have decent rings you'll have a decent scope. I've only had some of their lower end air rifle/.22 scopes and most of them weren't great, but considering how badly we used and abused our air rifles it is impressive how well they held up. The last scope of theirs I used was a rimfire model with green/blue/red reticle and was actually really nice for what it was.

I had one of their 50mm scopes on a 300mag and it wouldn't even come close to holding zero. A buddy of mine gave me this BSA red dot out of his shop and it figured it would make due on the rifle until I ran across a deal on an EoTech. 2-3yrs and thousands and thousands of rounds later it was still on there. I literally just put that rifle back in the safe from swapping it out with the EoTech I picked up from another member yesterday. The only red dot/ holographic sights that I would have bought to replace it would have been what I got or an Aimpoint because I didn't feel like anything else offered enough upside to it to be worth spending anymore money. Mike Gideon has mentioned on more than one occasion that he has a BSA long range scope that performs quite well too.
I'd also recommend going with Primary Arms. Their branded Micro Dot is as good a knockoff of the Aimpoint Micro that you're gonna find. If that style isn't to your liking be patient, they had a decent Memorial Day sale and will have a decent Independence Day sale. Back in February, I got a Vortex Strikefire AND a cantilever mount AND a Primary Arms 3X magnifier AND a flip-to-the-side mount for just over $160. The Vortex is the first "good" red dot I ever owned. I'm extremely happy with it for the money. I wasted more than I paid for it over the years trying out crappy $50 red dots that fail in one way or another.
  • 3 weeks later...