Hog Gun

Which 18" barrel do you have?

I don't remember now. It's stainless. I shot it when I first got it and it didn't group as well as the 24". Then I tried lighter bullets and started improving it. I think the 90-95gr was producing some respectable groups but still not as good as the 123gr in the 24".

458 socom is a hammer for sure.  I just got a Wilson Combat upper not too long ago and have started playing around with reloads for it.  I'll be deer hunting with it this season and can't wait to stop a deer in it's tracks with it....the thing is a beast.

The best...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/544442/barnes-tipped-triple-shock-x-bullets-458-socom-458-diameter-300-grain-spitzer-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-50

• Like 1

In stock too.  I've got a box already, but I may have to pick up another one since they are finally in stock again.  I've been playing with the Hornady 325 FTX for "plinking" loads. 

I got a big sack of those FTX bullets from David. They work just fine. The TTSX is just right in the pocket. They fully expand down to velocities that you expect from the SOCOM, and don't come apart when they hit

• 5 months later...

I'm about the .458 Socom ALL day long for hogs! It is absolutely the Hammer Of Thor! I find it to be a soft shooter for its ballistics and stopping power, and there is a lot of reload options up to 700 grain bullets!!!!!!!!!!!! I shoot 325 grain Hornadys and it just plain works. Mine is a RRA.1348611874.jpg

Edited by sybo
  • Like 1
That's a big hog. 458 was very tempting. I suppose now that I've built this gun it would be easy enough to throw together another upper in a different caliber. So far though I'm pretty impressed with 6.8. I'm taking it to the range to finish sighting it in today.
Planning a trip out to Texas to hunt hogs soon too. I'd love to take my .35, but since I'm low on ammo and can't find any, I'm debating between my AR in .223 or my Remington 700 in .308. I'd use Hog Hammer in both, just trying to figure out if I want harder hitting or faster follow up. Edited by satalac
I am from Odessa TX and have been hog hunting all my life. I have hunted them with several different rounds, 308 will get the job done, but I would not use 223. At will take down smaller hogs with the right shot, but you will have a hard time taking down a larger hog. My favorite gun to hunt hogs is a Winchester (American Made) 94AE 444 marlin. Fun to shot and will take down any size hog.

You don't want to go chasing a big hog into the South Texas brush.

I have a lot of great recipes for sausage if you want to make some when you get back. Smoked, not breakfast.