Memorial Day

Ugly

Memorial Day,

I think about the first Americans that fought for our country. I grew up in Bethlehem PA where there is a lot of history. It is just north of Philadelphia. The Liberty Bell was snuck through to prevent it from being captured by the Brits as well as President Washington crossing the Delaware nearby.

The American Revolution has remnants throughout the area and the reason I am writing this is because nearby is a tomb of the unknown soldier. There was a hospital nearby and as our patriots died they were buried on the hillside. 

One day I was out riding my bicycle and came across a memorial, it turns out this is a back street with no fanfare and you have to go out of your way to find it. The memorial contains the remains of three soldiers who were discovered while they were doing highway work and expanding the road and the remains of one man that was found in 1932. It is estimated to be over 700+ men buried on this hillside.

Every time I go back to town I stop there. There has since been a flagpole installed, some new marble headstones and even some city signs. 

I think about what these brave men fought for, going up against the British and leaving their loved ones to fight for a seemingly impossible dream.

I think of all the men and women that have sacrificed their livelihoods for us.

May they be beside God and at peace!

If anyone considered going to the annual Musikfest in Bethlehem, it is right near there. I recommend both checking out the fest and seeing the memorial.

I miss the area and I think of those that have gone before us often.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/34032

http://www.musikfest.org

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic