I wanna try out this Bersa.

Why do you have a problem with the de-cocker ?

I don't want an external safety/decocker on my carry gun. Just one more step, and I have not committed myself to learning the discipline of switching it off if I have to draw. Same reason I don't carry my 1911.

I don't want an external safety/decocker on my carry gun. Just one more step, and I have not committed myself to learning the discipline of switching it off if I have to draw. Same reason I don't carry my 1911.

I understand your position on external safeties. I feel the same way.

But, a gun with a decocker is still ready to rock and roll when you draw it...just like a DAO. You don't have to do anything to the decocked pistol to put into action. The decocker is only there to put the hammer to a much safer, half-cocked, position after you insert a mag and charge the weapon.

In a DA/SA pistol, after you fire the first round double-action, the gun is cocked and in single action mode.  If you don't want to shoot the next round, you need a safe way of lowering the hammer.  That's that the decocker is for.  It drops the hammer while blocking it from striking the firing pin.

Your only other choice would be to lower it with your thumb after having first pulled the trigger to release the sear.  If your thumb slips, it goes bang and you get to try your luck again since it will be cocked in SA mode again.  And there will be a hole in whatever it was pointed at when you failed to lower the hammer manually.

You can safely leave the decocker in the down (fire) position all of the time, relying on the DA trigger pull, safe handling procedures, and a holster that covers the trigger guard.  I have the Bersa Thunder UC45 Pro (same gun, .45 ACP, a little fatter in the grip and no finger grooves).  When I carry it, I leave the decocker off, ready to fire when I pull the trigger.  Just like I carry revolvers and striker-fired pistols.

Edited by JC57
I took the new pistola to Top Brass here in town this afternoon. That was a mistake. It must have been 85* in there. Well it went like this. I racked the slide for the first time with a loaded mag in the gun. It didn't fully chamber. Pushed the slide into battery and sent one downrange. Same thing, round didn't fully chamber. surprised.gif That didn't happen anymore. I sent 73 more round down range without a problem. The sights are designed to hold on the target center, not the 6:00 hold.  I used the center,  AKA combat sight picture but I was still hitting low. Part of that could have been the constant wiping of sweat off my brow making it hard to concentrate fully on my shooting. I took 75 rounds of WWB ball ammo and another 50 of Federal with me but after I went through the Winchester I said screw  it. Too damn hot in there. The dots on the rear sight are smaller than and less bright than the front dot which may have also been part of my problem shooting low. I think some night sights are gonna be in my future. I can replace these with any sight that fits the Sig 220 series. The slide will also close by itself when firmly seating a loaded mag. From what I've read it's made to do that. I wasn't ready for that but fortunately I was using both good muzzle and trigger discipline.
Edited by 94user

Congrads on getting a Bersa and it won't take but a good trip or 2 to a range that has A/C so you can focus more on the gun and less of your own discomfort and you will love the gun. Little tweaks you mentioned like night sights will help also.............. :up: :up:

[quote name="94user" post="1159395" timestamp="1402874953"]I took the new pistola to Top Brass here in town this afternoon. That was a mistake. It must have been 85* in there. Well it went like this. I racked the slide for the first time with a loaded mag in the gun. It didn't fully chamber. Pushed the slide into battery and sent one downrange. Same thing, round didn't fully chamber. surprised.gif That didn't happen anymore. I sent 73 more round down range without a problem. The sights are designed to hold on the target center, not the 6:00 hold. I used the center, AKA combat sight picture but I was still hitting low. Part of that could have been the constant wiping of sweat off my brow making it hard to concentrate fully on my shooting. I took 75 rounds of WWB ball ammo and another 50 of Federal with me but after I went through the Winchester I said screw it. Too damn hot in there. The dots on the rear sight are smaller than and less bright than the front dot which may have also been part of my problem shooting low. I think some night sights are gonna be in my future. I can replace these with any sight that fits the Sig 220 series. The slide will also close by itself when firmly seating a loaded mag. From what I've read it's made to do that. I wasn't ready for that but fortunately I was using both good muzzle and trigger discipline.[/quote] The dots on the rear sight of my Thunder 9 also were a dull white. I got some of the fluorescent sight paint at Guns and Ammo on summer and touched them up a bit. It made it a lot easier to get a sight picture quickly.

Same issue with the rear sights on my 45 UC pro.  Also, the sights are pretty much dead on (bullet goes where the front sight white dot is) when the top of the rear sight is aligned with the top of front blade.  The dots may not be perfectly lined up at that point.

I've toyed with the idea of getting some SIG sights for it, and perhaps going with different SIG sight heights to raise the point of impact (higher numbers raise the POI - I believe the stock sights on the Bersas are #8 front and #8 rear).

Edited by JC57
  • 3 months later...