TC Contender Barrel .223 "Super 14" Info Needed

Trying to deal with an individual that answered my GOC ad, in which I was looking for a .223 "Super 14" barrel for my early model Thompson Contender. In his answer he merely said he had one, and gave me the price, which included a wooden forearm and a weaver base. He further stated it was a slick barrel...no sights.

Here's my question, didn't all of the "Super 14" .223 barrels come with iron sights? I know there are a lot of after market barrels for the Contender, and fear this may be one of them. I do not want a Brand X barrel, I want a TC "Super 14" .223 barrel...and I do believe it comes with factory iron sights. Am I right or wrong? My Super 14 in .30-30 has iron sights, but my 7-30 Waters Super 14 does not. Thanks for your help. I know there's got to be some knowledgeable Contender folks on here that can give me the nitty gritty on the "Super 14 .223" Contender barrel.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dolomite, Frankmako, and Westwind Mike. I haven't seen the barrel in person, and the pics don't show it either, but the seller says that it is written on the barrel. He also states that the iron sights have been removed...were removed when he got it from someone else. Thanks for your help.

The seller still hasn't said the barrel is a "Thompson Center" Super 14...he just says it's a Super 14. If I can figure out how to post pics on here, I'll post one or two, to see if you TC guys can tell me if the barrel is a TC barrel. Is it possible to just copy and paste a pic in this section? Thanks.

Unless he has a stamp he has an illegal SBR according to the first picture. That IS a Choate folding stock on it with a 14" barrel.

I don't see a stock, only the folding mechanism for attaching one?

(Granted that also possessing the stock component even unattached "in close proximity" would require having a legal useful purpose for it.)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

If you look inside the wings you can see the part that is the stock. It is the part that looks square with a few washers under it. If the stock were not attached it would look like wings.

If you want I can upload and circle the area that IS the stock. I would not have known but I have two of these stocks and have had both of the them apart several times.

If you look inside the wings you can see the part that is the stock. It is the part that looks square with a few washers under it. If the stock were not attached it would look like wings.

If you want I can upload and circle the area that IS the stock. I would not have known but I have two of these stocks and have had both of the them apart several times.

Well, lost, so I guess so.

I'm just not seeing a stock, only the hinged mechanism on grip that could hold one.,

p_159000023_2.jpg

317-090efs_small.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The club foot on the end of the stock is what is visible in the picture. So unless he has hacksawed the rest of the stock off he has an SBR.

I will upload pictures and show you what I am talking about

Guess you'll have to. Not being obstreperous, just don't grok the "wings" and "club foot", as I don't discern anything except the hinge itself in the pic.

edit: was typing when you were. Okey dokey.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

contenderstock_zps6510d2b7.jpg

Well, if part of the actual extension that would hold the stock is indeed still in the hinge, seems clear that no stock is attached to it, so must have indeed cut it off, unless pic has been doctored or something. 

Also, is the center hinge pin not removable, to allow removing stock and arm entirely, which would seem to be another possibility? That bottom flange looking area could just be part of the housing.

317-090efs.jpg

-OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
It is the camera angle and the stocks are never straight in line with the gun or at least that is the case with my two.

I am thinking the guy probably has no clue about NFA stuff which is more likely than him taking a hacksaw to a useable stock.

You can also se a shadow of something going from the gun to the bed. Edited by Dolomite_supafly

WoW! OS and Dolomite, I seemed to have stirred a hornets nest! initially, this guy made contact with me, about this barrel, back in the winter. I didn't remember him, or the barrel, when he responded to my GOC ad this time. So, I asked for pics, and he sent these two. He was asking $175 for the barrel, forearm, and scope base...which seemed reasonable to me. But, as you all can see, the pics aren't very clear. I asked for a clear picture of the writing on the barrel, and haven't heard from him since.

Trickynicky offered to help post the pics for me on here, which I appreciate. Thanks Nick.

The old gray matter doesn't work as well as it once did, so I don't remember why I aborted the deal on this barrel back in the winter. Maybe I was asking too many questions to suit him. Whatever the reason the deal didn't happen then, and without answers, it doesn't look like it's going to happen this time either. Am I being too cautious? Maybe...I don't know. The deal itself, seemed reasonable enough. What do you guys think? I appreciate everyone that has commented on this thread...my little old granny used to say, "Two heads are better than one"! I think she was right...RIP Nanny.

A2F6F8C7-DCF7-4630-9141-AD282DE50A0F-734

TrickyNicky is just posting pics for me of this TC Contender barrel, pics that I got from the seller and provided. Boy! This thing has turned into a genuine goat roping! This just might be one barrel that I'd be better off to pass on!