AR Pistol Build

TLRMADE

Haven't been on here in a while. Got a new job and have been really busy. I've been building this for the past few months and figured I would share it with you guys. Thanks to Nathan for helping me put it together! Now I've just got to start saving up for a good optic. Planning to do an Aimpoint Micro. Started with a budget and sure didn't end with one.... -Spikes Tactical lower -Daniel Defense LPK -Sig Brace -BCM upper -BCM 11.5" lightweight barrel -BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle -BCM full auto bolt -Troy Industries 11" Battle Rail -AAC Muzzle Brake -Magpul MOE+ Grip -Magpul AFG2 -Magpul ASP e7ydutu4.jpgese6aqa3.jpguje5erer.jpghe9a8a6y.jpgba4equje.jpgyvu6a2y9.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by TLRMADE
  • Like 6

A beaut.

You know you can use a standard VFG instead of the AFG on that config if you wanted to, right?

edit: check that, looks like you are using conventional length buffer tube, even that 11.5 barrel might be just a hair short of 26" over all length, not sure?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Sweet!  I avoided putting a Sig Brace on my AR pistol build, but I'm reconsidering....

I liked my AR pistol before, but with the brace, I love it.

Two things make it even nicer: the KAK buffer tube and a more upright grip like the MOE K2, amazing ergonomic improvement for the short pull.

But that's a sweet looking build for sure. Even though it's in the wrong forum. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1150026" timestamp="1400448996"]A beaut. You know you can use a standard VFG instead of the AFG on that config if you wanted to, right? [b]edit: [/b][color=#ff0000]check that, looks like you are using conventional length buffer tube, even that 11.5 barrel might be just a hair short of 26" over all length, not sure?[/color] - OS[/quote] Yea the entire rifle measures over 26" so I'm good to go with a Vertical grip. I have just never liked the Vertical ones though. For some reason the AFG just feels better to me? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea the entire rifle measures over 26" so I'm good to go with a Vertical grip. I have just never liked the Vertical ones though. For some reason the AFG just feels better to me? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm like you about the grips. I would rather go without than use a VFG but I really like the AFG.

I'm like you about the grips. I would rather go without than use a VFG but I really like the AFG.

It's odd, I don't care for a VFG or AFG on a rifle at all, but somehow the vertical one just feels right on my shortie:

ARpistol-final.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I've not tried a VFG on a short rifle before so I reckon I can't say for sure that I would be opposed to it. The main reason I don't care for them is the angle it puts my hand and arm but a shorter rifle might change that.

[quote name="Luke E." post="1150067" timestamp="1400457637"] I've not tried a VFG on a short rifle before so I reckon I can't say for sure that I would be opposed to it. The main reason I don't care for them is the angle it puts my hand and arm but a shorter rifle might change that.[/quote] The reason I like it is bc of the way I grip and shoot the gun. I can wrap my hand around the entire rail. mubyzy4y.jpg2a4a7a5u.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by TLRMADE
  • Like 1
[quote name="LagerHead" post="1151123" timestamp="1400766153"]You may have singlehandedly changed my opinion of AR pistols. Very nice gun.[/quote] Yea I hated them at first. Then I had this one pictures in my head and just went for it! Went waaaayyyyyy over budget but it turned out good! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote name="Smith" post="1151258" timestamp="1400795810"]Yeah, you did good picking all the parts. Very nice![/quote] Thanks for putting it together for me! We need to go to Charlie's sometime and shoot it. I went last Sunday and everybody around me was like holy crap that things loud!!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote name="TLRMADE" post="1151332" timestamp="1400806476"]Thanks for putting it together for me! We need to go to Charlie's sometime and shoot it. I went last Sunday and everybody around me was like holy crap that things loud!!!!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] Yeah, I can bring the M92 and together make it sound like artillery going off.

First off Pistol looks great!

I'm trying to build something similar but I'm still unsure it something like this will require a stamp. I have read most of what I could find on TGO but I'm still a little confused on the subject.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

First off Pistol looks great!

I'm trying to build something similar but I'm still unsure it something like this will require a stamp. I have read most of what I could find on TGO but I'm still a little confused on the subject.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

No stamp required for an AR (or AK)  pistol. Really there are only a few basic considerations:

- If not buying a complete new one directly from manufacturer, you must make it with a lower that was not first configured as a rifle, so start with a new virgin lower to erase all doubt. Once first configured as a pistol, the lower may also be used to make a rifle and even go back and forth between pistol and rifle at any time.

- You cannot use a vertical forward grip on a pistol, unless it has a legal over all length of 26" or more, then it's okay, becomes a legal "firearm" while the VFG is attached. The popular Magpul AFG is legal on any pistol,  as it has been ruled as not being a VFG.

- The SIG SB15 brace (or similar for AK) that you now see on so many pistols, has been ruled as not a stock, and even further ruled as specifically legal to be used fired from the shoulder.

Post any other questions.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

OS, would you mind clarifying "legal over all length"? I have a semi-understanding of it and think I know what it means, but I can't say I'm 100%.

Entire length of firearm that includes only the necessary functional parts from butt to end of barrel.

- A muzzle device does not count in OAL unless permanently attached according to ATF specs, as only a permanently attached one is considered part of the barrel

- Nothing has ever been ruled as adding to the ass end of a firearm for OAL except a grip or stock.

- ATF measures OAL on long guns with folding or extendable stocks with stock unfolded and/or at full extent (at least one state, though, Michigan, measures at smallest config).

Since an AR pistol can have no stock, it's measured from end of buffer tube to end of barrel (which includes any permanently attached muzzle device).

A gray area seems to be for AR or AK pistols that do not need a buffer tube or other extension for operation, but have one added to accommodate say the SB15 brace.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="monkeylizard" post="1152127" timestamp="1401058065"]OS, would you mind clarifying "legal over all length"? I have a semi-understanding of it and [i]think[/i] I know what it means, but I can't say I'm 100%.[/quote] This rifle measures over 26" so the vfg would be ok. Just measure from the end of the brace to the end of the muzzle device. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This rifle measures over 26" so the vfg would be ok. Just measure from the end of the brace to the end of the muzzle device. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, a legal rifle by definition measures over 26" in OAL and has 16" or greater length barrel. OAL of a rifle of course includes the stock.

And a SIG brace on an AR pistol does not count in OAL (they can be extended past the end of the buffer tube).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yea I hated them at first. Then I had this one pictures in my head and just went for it! Went waaaayyyyyy over budget but it turned out good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks cool! You did good

I saw a 10.5" Sig with the brace installed at a gun store the other day. I never really had any desire for an AR pistol until I held that thing, but now I want to build one. It seemed to balance really well. I'm thinking about building one as inexpensive as i can go in 300 acc for a truck gun. Edited by Batman