Jeep Pricing/Reliability Advice

• Moderators

So I have been wanting a Jeep for a while, I just do not want to pay for new Jeep pricing. A coworker with whom I have no reason not to trust has a Jeep that he is potentially getting rid of because he is getting a Tundra. He was talking in the $4,500 range. This is what he sent me:

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
60th year anniversary edition

V-8

4 WD
175,000 Miles
2" SkyJacker Lift Kit
Thule Basket Roof Rack
Cold Air Intake system
BF Goodrich Mud Terrain Tires
Two tone interior
Wood Grain
Rubicon Jeep Wheels
Entire new suspension
Entire new front end
Serviced Regularly
Tons of upgrades, you could sell the wheels and tires for $1500

Problems.
Two Rust Spots, just needs some filler in them.
Check Gauges Light comes on randomly. That's just a sensor, The person I
bought it from, actually has a new sensor.

When we talk I can tell you more, but in a nut shell, I wouldn't be afraid to
get in this thing and go to California. It's a great vehicle I can tell you
more when we talk.
Just let me know after you talk to your bank and such....

KBB puts it at about $3,555 in "good" condition but they are failing to account for things like new suspension, front end, etc. Since this is a quite used vehicle if I try to go for it I will probably have my mechanic take a look at it even if it costs a bit. This would become my primary vehicle for to/from work and travel. I would want it to be reliable. We had talked about this in a previous post but if possible I will be getting rid of my 2012 Ford Fusion. If I could get rid of it for what it is worth (roughly $13,000), I could apply that extra money (I owe less on the vehicle) and come out practically debt free after I took some of my cash and put with the extra. That would eliminate a $230 debt payment a month for the Ford. I know gas will be more that what I'm paying now but $230 is a lot of gas and also can be a lot of repairs unless it is a money pit. I'd like to set that $230 asside for a few months to buildup a $2000 vehicle repair fund.

Thoughts?

To me it sounds like a secondary vehicle. 

You are looking at a motor fairly soon with that mileage. With all the mods, I side on its a beat on truck. "Its just a sensor" is kind of funny.

If it was bone stock but serviced, I might consider it differently.

• Moderators

To me it sounds like a secondary vehicle. 

You are looking at a motor fairly soon with that mileage. With all the mods, I side on its a beat on truck. "Its just a sensor" is kind of funny.

If it was bone stock but serviced, I might consider it differently.

Thanks! I know that so many people love their Jeeps but wasn't sure how much life a well maintained one would be expected to have. I've already cringed at the thought of halving or worse my MPG. Had my first vehicle not been an SUV I probably would be fine with the Fusion, but I just find myself wanting an SUV so badly and the Jeeps have always intrigued me.

Yep, Sounds like with having to practically rebuild the entire suspension means it has probably had some serious off road time. Jeep V-8's do not get any type of gas mileage what so ever. Especially early 2000's series. As far as the Sensor goes and intermittent check engine light coming on and it only being a sensor my question would be which sensor is it. EGR sensor, 02 sensor possible, both relatively easy repairs. Speed control Sensor (Inside tranny) not an easy fix. To many unknowns for me to consider buying it if it were me.  If the person he bought it from had the Sensor what stopped him from having it installed to fix the problem?..................jmho  

Edited by bersaguy

Sound advice there from bersaguy.

Offroad use can be very much fun, but also very hard on a vehicle, even a jeep. And while most Jeeps are designed with some rough use in mind, the Grand Cherokee Limited was pretty much meant to be a street cruiser that ocassionally trekked across a lawn.

Don't take it the wrong way Jeep guys, I really like Jeeps, and have been looking into buying one. But I worked for 14 years selling parts to body shops and mech shops. And the GCL, unless carefully maintained, not run thru the woods and streams hard enough to need complete suspension replacement could be a disaster in waiting for you. I saw quite a few of them in very poor condition.

And 230 a month is not much gas these days. That's about 50 to 60 gallons at current prices. And if this one gets 10 mpg, you'll be lucky.

JMO...keep the Ford. You'll be far ahead.

Edited by hipower

if your going to get a GC in that year I would go with the inline 6 engine. Still horrible gas mileage (probably 14-18 range) especially compared to a Fusion, but IMHO a better engine. I would trust it to go longer. And this is just me, but I like to buy Jeeps in their stock configuration, not already built. Easier to know what has and hasn't been done to them and if it has been done right. Not sure if you work on your on vehicles, but if your going to buy any vehicle with that many miles on it, you better be prepared to. If possible, I would suggest getting a Jeep like this for a secondary vehicle, you'll be able to have more fun with it on the weekend and not worry about getting to work on Monday.

I'm driving a 1997 Jeep myself  and the recommendation on looking for 4.0 High output in line 6 cylinder is very sound suggestion. I do get about 18 around town and about 21 on the highway and I am running the 4.0 in my Jeep Cherokee Sport.......jmho

I'm not a Jeep guy necessarily.... but I'd pass.  If you want a Jeep as a 2nd vehicle, get the 6 cyl Cherokee.  Grand Cherokee's aren't exactly the most reliable vehicles.

As stated, the rebuilt suspension suggests the current owner is either anal about that kind of thing or wore it out. 

The check engine light.... get used to that, it'll continue coming on.  It's a never-ending problem with older cars.

The gas... unless you've got a very short commute, you'll burn through that $230 faster than you think.  I have several coworkers who've parked their trucks in favor of compact cars.  Even with the $350/mo car payment, they're still saving money compared to gas and tires on their trucks. 

Two Rust Spots, just needs some filler in them.

You don't fix rust with filler, you cut out the old metal and weld in new, then some filler, primer, blocking, paint.  Rust is normally like mice in your home, for every example you see, there are many more in hiding ...

Guest Lowbuster
In a nutshell, people buy mustangs and camaro to go fast. If you buy a used one it has been driven for that reason. I bought my jeep and it does go off-road. Unless it's new it's been used some for its purpose especially with the mods it has. Why get it raised and new suspension if you don't need it.
I would be weary of off-road wear and tear as jeeps are expensive to fix.