Camcorder questions

Guest db99wj

Guest db99wj

The 8 year old Hi-8 crapped out on me. We are looking to buy a new one. What's everyone using? I like the DVD and but I do have a DVD burner on the computer.

So, what do I need to look for? Brands? Anything else?

My price range is cheap and cheaper. I am not in the best position to buy a new one, but with 4 kids, we need one, lots of stuff we need to have recorded.

I am looking at refurbdepot.com to buy from.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

I'm using a JVC Everio-G (GZ-MG555) HDD. It's about 2 yrs old maybe. Absolutely love it.

Used to be a huge Sony fan, and still have Sony digicams, but after having 2 different Sony camcorders crap out on me within a year of buying each of them... and Sony's lack of support in fixing them, when one clearly had a noted defect that a lawsuit had been filed on... I quit buying them.

Edited by Verbal Kint
Guest db99wj
Time for the HH Greg dude-(abailey 362?) To jump in and cut you a killer deal on some cutting edge hitech stuff.:)

THought about him, but the closest one of those is over 200 miles away :D

Guest db99wj
I used to have a Canon miniDV. I really liked it.

What model? I've been eyeballing a Canon DC220, listed at $279. Cnet says the con is that the vid quality is fair to middling and poor still shot. It got a total 3 of 5 stars.

I'm using a JVC Everio-G (GZ-MG555) HDD. It's about 2 yrs old maybe. Absolutely love it.

Used to be a huge Sony fan, and still have Sony digicams, but after having 2 different Sony camcorders crap out on me within a year of buying each of them... and Sony's lack of support in fixing them, when one clearly had a noted defect that a lawsuit had been filed on... I quit buying them.

Those seem nice, but a little out of my price range. Still in the running if I decide to say screw the budget....:)

Guest db99wj

If I get one with DVD. Will be able, with the software from the cam, be able to record onto the DVD, put onto computer, edit, put things together, add music and stuff like that?

Guest Verbal Kint

As long as you have software that will allow you to edit the end product (video) and do all that stuff, sure. Most cams nowadays come with some type of editing software, but a lot of times they're limited to what or how much you can do. Just depends on what comes bundled with the equipment... or what program you choose to buy (*cough*download*cough*) later.

But yes... you will be able to burn video to dvd, via the camera, and then export it to your computer. You should actually be able to send it to your computer via cable, actually, in most cases. Then it's up to you to edit it from there.

I opted for the Everio, with it's internal hard drive, instead of the DVD burning models. The HDD on mine holds over 37 hours of video (far more than I would record before dumping it to my pc), and I simply use the included cable and docking base to export it to my pc. Didn't want the extra bulk that the dvd models seem to possess, and already had a Lightscribe dvd burner in my desktop. To each their own though. :)

Edited by Verbal Kint
Guest db99wj
As long as you have software that will allow you to edit the end product (video) and do all that stuff, sure. Most cams nowadays come with some type of editing software, but a lot of times they're limited to what or how much you can do. Just depends on what comes bundled with the equipment... or what program you choose to buy (*cough*download*cough*) later.

But yes... you will be able to burn video to dvd, via the camera, and then export it to your computer. You should actually be able to send it to your computer via cable, actually, in most cases. Then it's up to you to edit it from there.

I opted for the Everio, with it's internal hard drive, instead of the DVD burning models. The HDD on mine holds over 37 hours of video (far more than I would record before dumping it to my pc), and I simply use the included cable and docking base to export it to my pc. Didn't want the extra bulk that the dvd models seem to possess, and already had a Lightscribe dvd burner in my desktop. To each their own though. :)

Good info, and I don't have my "own thought" yet, still formulating that!:D

Edited by db99wj
Guest abailey362

I also have a 555....been a good camera. If you were closer I do have a steal on a GZMG730, which is a 7mp still and 30gig HDD (replacement for the 555) and it's only $399, but i'm in the noog.

if you are gonna be in nashville or further east let me know and I can get you taken care of.

but same advice goes for wherever...hard drive is the way to go, especially since you commented about a DVD burner on your computer. costs a little bit more up front, but there is no re-occurring cost for blank media. also the everio's let you run a line in and transfer from your hi-8 to the hard drive, and then onto your computer, straight into the supplied editing software.

Guest db99wj
I also have a 555....been a good camera. If you were closer I do have a steal on a GZMG730, which is a 7mp still and 30gig HDD (replacement for the 555) and it's only $399, but i'm in the noog.

if you are gonna be in nashville or further east let me know and I can get you taken care of.

but same advice goes for wherever...hard drive is the way to go, especially since you commented about a DVD burner on your computer. costs a little bit more up front, but there is no re-occurring cost for blank media. also the everio's let you run a line in and transfer from your hi-8 to the hard drive, and then onto your computer, straight into the supplied editing software.

From this conversation and looking around, leaning toward the HDD versions, found this one, JVC Everio GZMG155, here are the specs, 1.07 Megapixel CCD, 30GB HDD, 32x Optical Zoom, 800x Digital Zoom, 2.7" LCD, SD Slot. This is a refurbished model from Tigerdirect for $299.00.

Not making a decision yet, still looking. I have narrowed my decision down a lot, no Mini DV and DVD is not looking good at this point. I'm done for the night. Going to bed.:D

Guest bkelm18
I ain't buying nothing unless the electronics companies agree not to invent anything else for 10 years. I'm getting tired of buying something and it becomes obsolete before the warranty is up.

That's life, boss. I'd rather them continually upgrade and reinvent their products instead of twiddling their thumbs for 10 yrs.

Time for the HH Greg dude-(abailey 362?) To jump in and cut you a killer deal on some cutting edge hitech stuff.:D

+20

I can't say enough about Adam and his pricing, knowledge, and customer service.

My buddy and I have purchased around 15k worth of electronics from Adam in the last year. *(maybe more. Adam can confirm if my figures are low)

I went to Adam looking for a replacement camcorder 6 months ago, and was thinking DVD was the way to go.

After listening to the pros and cons, it was obvious that HDD was a much better format.

I ended up buying a high-def (HD) unit from JVC which I am VERY happy with.

http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028148&pathId=141&page=10

Another reason to buy from Adam: from time to time he gets models that are being closed out, open box specials, demo units, etc.

I picked up a 1200.00 unit for less than half what it should have cost!

Guest db99wj
From this conversation and looking around, leaning toward the HDD versions, found this one, JVC Everio GZMG155, here are the specs, 1.07 Megapixel CCD, 30GB HDD, 32x Optical Zoom, 800x Digital Zoom, 2.7" LCD, SD Slot. This is a refurbished model from Tigerdirect for $299.00.

Not making a decision yet, still looking. I have narrowed my decision down a lot, no Mini DV and DVD is not looking good at this point. I'm done for the night. Going to bed.:D

This model is looking like the front runner at this point. I have read some reviews, they seem, for the most part to be positive. Some have complained about batter life (1 hour), they suggest buying a JVC Hulk battery that has a 5 hour life.

Joe, I would love to have one of the high def ones...but going to wait on that purchase, due to funds, or the limited amount of mine!:tinfoil:

Guest abailey362

we had some gzmg155's that we sold a couple weks ago in the last tent sale for around 250 new. the bowling green store still shows a couple of these. if someone in that area will volunteer to pick it up and ship, I can sell you one that should be NIB (i'd have to call) for $245 plus whatever the tax is up there.....we are out here or i'd help you out on this one.

Guest db99wj
we had some gzmg155's that we sold a couple weks ago in the last tent sale for around 250 new. the bowling green store still shows a couple of these. if someone in that area will volunteer to pick it up and ship, I can sell you one that should be NIB (i'd have to call) for $245 plus whatever the tax is up there.....we are out here or i'd help you out on this one.

Hmmm, haven't even thought about this, but my brother lives in Whites Creek (north of Nashville a few miles) Give him a reason for a Harley road trip(@65 miles one way)....I will have to call him and see what his schedule will allow. I'll be in touch, Adam, thanks. :screwy:

Edited by db99wj
Guest db99wj

You have a PM!