Anyone have any experience with some of the linear compensators out there? I ordered a Levang to mess around with and just looking for feedback on what to look out for as far as noticeable, practical improvements.

I noticed most people put these on short or carbine length barrels, I plan on using it on a 20' heavy barrel. My thought or hope is that it will still help push the blast forward, but with the extra weight of the rifle, I won't experience much muzzle rise either.
All reports are that it is maybe only a little help on muzzle rise, but it already isn't much of a problem even with just a thread protector. I'm hoping that by directing the rifle straight back it will also help use up or redirect some upward motion. I haven't read anything on anyone using one with a longer heavy barrel so I'm just guessing. I know I could just get a brake, but if this works even almost as well, I'll be happy.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

One of these days will get a linear comp or two. One time a fella was shooting an ar beside me with a linear comp, and it was almost suppressor quiet from the side and rear. Well, maybe not that quiet, I don't have any experience with suppressors, but the thing was quieter than 9mm pistols as heard from the side, and usually 16" ar's with usual side vented flash hider compensators are annoying loud with a physical sensed side blast.

Have read that linear comps don't attenuate sound, they just divert more of it downrange, but sounds like a good thing regardles.

That 20 foot heavy barrel, must be Real Heavy! Ha!!

Not as heavy as one I'm planning out, but yeah, you know you are carrying it to be sure.

I use the Kies Master Blaster on both my .308 and 5.56 AR' s. Both with good results. Can't complain about the price
from Joe Bob's either.

If I like the Levang I'll most likely order a Kies or two as well.

One of these days will get a linear comp or two. One time a fella was shooting an ar beside me with a linear comp, and it was almost suppressor quiet from the side and rear. Well, maybe not that quiet, I don't have any experience with suppressors, but the thing was quieter than 9mm pistols as heard from the side, and usually 16" ar's with usual side vented flash hider compensators are annoying loud with a physical sensed side blast.

Have read that linear comps don't attenuate sound, they just divert more of it downrange, but sounds like a good thing regardles.

That's really all I want it to do is make it more pleasant for myself and others around me. I've heard some not so great things about them in regard to muzzle climb and fireballs. I guess I'll have to wait and see what becomes of it, I'm thinking I shouldn't have much any fireball to speak of as is, but I've only shot it during the bright daylight hours. Idk, I'm sure it will be fine.
I used the Levang comp on the MSAR bullpups I used to own and they do indeed make the noise far more tolerable. As far as recoil on those guns it was pretty mild. With the balance being different on an AR I don't know how it would be on those.