PSA Hard Trigger Pull

I just completed my first AR build with this 223 Wylde Rainer Arms SS 18" 1:8 twist ss barrel. I installed a PSA lower kit in a Spike's Tactical lower.I shot 40 rounds thru AR and trigger pull is hard/heavy. I zeroed scope at 100 yds and had several 3 shot groups .75" to .88". I feel groups would be smaller with a better trigger pull. There is no problem with creep, just heavy pull. What can be done to improve trigger?

I know RRA 2 stage NM trigger would be good, but need to hold build cost down.

Edited by lshel
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you could try polishing the contact points and installing a lower weight spring and one of Dolo's kits to pre-load the trigger.  All said and done you shouldn't be out more than a little.  

11 for the springs

I think Dolomite's kits were running somewhere around 10-12. PM him for pricing

You probably already have everything at home needed to polish the trigger.

I searched, but can't find the post for Dolomite's kit. I remember reading about it before but can't remember exactly how it worked. Anyone able to find that thread or post info here on it?
I don't think my PSA trigger is that bad compared with some other factory ones I have shot. But it could still be better.

The kit is basically a set screw and a grip screw replacement that is slightly shorter than normal.  On most lowers your grip screw is drilled and tapped all the way through and opens up just below the rear of the trigger bar.   The set screw preloads the trigger bar and will get rid of some of the take up. A good way to tell how much it will remove is to charge the weapon, place it on safe, and then pull the trigger.  The amount of travel is what can be safely removed with a set screw.  You can remove more if you modifying your trigger bar, but that is not recommended.

I would suggest you avoid polishing the contact surfaces. There are some real downsides to it. I'm speaking from experience. I polished a set and it felt great but it wasn't long before it was back to where I started or worse. Most fcg parts are only surface hardened and the polishing can wear through the hardened surface quickly leaving you with a great feeling trigger temporarily but the softer material ends up wearing quicker and going back rough again. I knew that this was the risk before I did it but wanted to try it before spending the money to upgrade the whole thing anyways so I was no worse for the wear. Some will suggest against it but if you want to stay on a budget with it I would go on the JP website and look at the spring kits. They're cheap.

I charged the AR, put safety on, and pulled the trigger, trigger travel is 1/16" to 1/8", travel much less than my M&P15 SP. I'll check on line for how to polish trigger/hammer contact points. I know there are lighter weight trigger/hammer springs by JP Enterprise, but don't want too light a trigger. I'm more interested in a reliable trigger. I'm a little hesitant on polishing contact points which could cause reliability problems if not done correctly.

I charged the AR, put safety on, and pulled the trigger, trigger travel is 1/16" to 1/8", travel much less than my M&P15 SP. I'll check on line for how to polish trigger/hammer contact points. I know there are lighter weight trigger/hammer springs by JP Enterprise, but don't want too light a trigger. I'm more interested in a reliable trigger. I'm a little hesitant on polishing contact points which could cause reliability problems if not done correctly.

I've got  reduced power springs in one of my rifles and haven't had a light strike out of it yet and it's had thousands of rounds run through it. For the price of the springs you can always throw them in and hit the range to put them through their paces. Heck if you buy them and don't like them i'll buy them from you ;) I think leaving the trigger and sear surfaces alone is a good idea. I have found that it's pretty much impossible to get a high quality AR trigger without buying a quality group.

Bend the hammer legs about 30 degrees. This will reduce the trigger pull without affecting reliability. If it does have a problem with light strikes just straighten out the legs some.

As far as the trigger kits go they are no longer available. Joe Bob Outfitters makes a similar kit and although it is not as cheap it does the same exact thing.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBob_s_Trigger_Adjuster_p/jb-triggeradjuster.htm

I received JP trigger/hammer spring kit and the grip screw trigger travel adjuster in afternoon mail, and installed with no problem. Tomorrow I'll shoot AR with new springs and see if trigger pull is improved.

As far as the trigger kits go they are no longer available. Joe Bob Outfitters makes a similar kit and although it is not as cheap it does the same exact thing.
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBob_s_Trigger_Adjuster_p/jb-triggeradjuster.htm

Glad I stocked up on those when I could! I'm looking forward to installing one shortly.

Do you think we might see them again at even close to the old price point if at all?
Well its a shame. Glad they were available while they were though. If she doesn't pop into the thread herself, thank her for putting them together as long as she did. I can see how it would turn into a logistical PITA pretty quick.

Fired 20 rds at 100 yds after installing above kits, trigger very much improved and lighter. No failures to fire and groupswere good.Next for better optics, maybe Nixon 223 scope or Redfield  in 4-16 x42mm.