2 way ham radio with WX alerts?

Well, it's obviously tornado season again, and I am wanting another weather radio. I have also been wanting to get licensed for HAM. I'd like to combine the two and get a handheld HAM that has good weather alert functions. Does this exist in the <$100 - $200 price range? Ive asked about radios before but not with the alert features. What do ya recommend? Edited by Batman
baofeng uv5r radios are decent...my wife and I bought 2 for less than $200...depending on your area and how close to a repeater you are you should be able to pickup weather info...I am slowly working on the ham manual to get my tech license as well...
  • Moderators

Good to know that's a decent one. Thanks, I'll have to consider it. I actually have the uv5r saved in my Wish List on Amazon. Just checked, and it's at $44.55 right now with free shipping! It doesn't sound an alarm for severe weather though does it?

baofeng uv5r radios are decent...my wife and I bought 2 for less than $200...depending on your area and how close to a repeater you are you should be able to pickup weather info...I am slowly working on the ham manual to get my tech license as well...

The Baofeng UV-5R should be $33.68 with Prime Shipping. That's shipped and sold by Amazon.com. My research has shown that virtually all UV-5R's are functionally the same, the different "models" just designate small cosmetic differences. The UV-5R is supposed to be compatible with more of the accesories, some of the "newer" models supposedly do not work with the epanded battery packs and stuff.

I should just order one and get it over with, I just haven't got around to it yet. I would very much like a radio with WX alerts, but I think the UV-5R is a great starting point to get into it.

• Like 1

I have one. Biggest complaint appears to be that the microphone is a little weak. I haven't really used it much though. When I've listened in, it's mostly a lot of nothing with people occasionally passing on a shopping list.

• Moderators

I have one. Biggest complaint appears to be that the microphone is a little weak. I haven't really used it much though. When I've listened in, it's mostly a lot of nothing with people occasionally passing on a shopping list.

If I get one I think I will primarily program it with as many local Fire/Police/Utility channels as possible as well as using it for the weather function. It will essentially be a handheld scanner because I dont' have a HAM license and will not chance transmitting without a license. However, does someone have in mind a great scanner (recieve only) that will cover a broad range of frequencies, recieve WX, and have all the features you would want in a handheld scanner for emergencies?

I plan on getting a UV-5R and then someday a higher quality handheld but I also want my HAM license someday too.

I have a handheld scanner. I think most of the local police are not scannable (digital trunking or somesuch). Fire department is. I'm not sure if the Baofeng will do the same frequencies.

If you want your ham license, just do it. The exam is fairly easy and there are practice tests and stuff on the web. You could have it by the time of the next exam near wherever you are.

Edited by tnguy

Go grab these study guides and work through them.

http://www.kb6nu.com/tech-manual/

They bear an almost 1:1 relation to the questions on the tests. Pay attention to the bolding.

One thing I didn't realize and worth noting is that if you pass the test, you can go on and take the next one up in the same session. If I'd have known, I would have done some studying. As it was, I only failed it by one or two questions.

Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1
being a licensed ham radio operator (KI6PXF) that was issued in California I haven't transferred it yet, the old saying applies to radios like it does to weapons you get what you pay for, you might want to go to Cl and look for a good used radio for a well know maker, I have read
reviews on some of the Chinese radios and don't think I would spend the money. The dinner bell just rang so cant offer much more right now but look for good used before buying cheap then have to rebuy.

The Yaesu FT-270R handheld radio has a WX alert scan feature.  I have this radio for portable use along with a few other Yaesu 2M radios for base and mobile.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/381750/Yaesu-Ft-270r.html?page=49

^^ Hit that link for the user guide page that discusses it.

Thanks for the link. This looks like the type of handheld that I was hoping existed. I am going to start studying for the test tomorrow. Eventually, I would like to get a larger mobile unit for my truck, but I'll start out with a handheld.

AOR makes a good scanner, u can work it for days, And yes, if you're interested in amateur radio, its a blast. From what I understand, morse code is getting weaned out of testing and making the desire to progress through the license ranks easier....I hold a tech class ticket. The info you need to know to get a tech license which is entry level is great to have. Theres 10 year old kids that take the exam and pass.You wont regret it  :up:

Seems like theres a good amount of hams on TGO! 

Edited by Dustbuster
I went ahead and got a Boefeng UV5R+. It was $39 free shipping from Amazon and for that price I figured it would at least be a good extra someday (BOB item maybe). I still plan to get that Yaesu 270R soon because of the WX features, but for now the Baofeng will scratch the itch. I started studying and will take the test this month or next. Can't wait to learn more about using and programming this radio. I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for", but I will say that I am impressed the UV5R+ for the price so far.

AOR makes a good scanner, u can work it for days, And yes, if you're interested in amateur radio, its a blast. From what I understand, morse code is getting weaned out of testing and making the desire to progress through the license ranks easier....I hold a tech class ticket. The info you need to know to get a tech license which is entry level is great to have. Theres 10 year old kids that take the exam and pass.You wont regret it  :up:

The Morse code requirement has been gone for years.  There are no amateur licenses that require any Morse.

The morse code requirement is no longer a part of the technician, general or extra class exams.
AK4SZ Edited by tnhawk