Must have for food smokers

I caved in on this, it'll allow one to smoke for 11 hrs w out having to change anything depending how much pellets ya load in it. Kinda neat looking, like a maze for mice but it holds wood pellets and produces more smoke than an avg joe smoker. I wanted more smoke so I could get some sleep through a session won't having to get up 20 times

. 5udagydy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Cool idea.  I have finally 'learned' my nothing special Brinkmann smoker well enough that I can fill it with regular wood, set the vents just right and go to bed and when I get up the next morning it will just be time to add more wood.  Being that I smoke some larger cuts for 16 or even 24 hours, I had to learn that or stop doing the bigger stuff.

I have never used the pellets but have been curious about them.

Edited by JAB

I tried mine yesterday,( AMNPS) 5x8 followed the instructions perfectly, It flamed out at some point but it was my fault, it got rained on by some grease from the brisket i was smoking, i cooked 6 pounds for 10 hours w some std mesquite while i was at work, relying on this basket to do the job,i think my first 3 loads of chips got it off to a good start, cooking at 230 degrees was fine.shot for 200 inside tempi knew i shoulda moved it.in the end it was a lil dry but edible.My dogs were in defcon 1000 trying to get to it,wanted more smoke but i kept that to myself everyone else devoured it. :cool:

Its made by a co called amazen products, i posted the scoop, i got the one that does pellets and dust as the others wont do pellets.pellets are supposed to last longer. they tell you this at checkout so watch your size before you click on order.Im a noob at this so im trying to get a rythym going so i dont end up churning out chihuahua feed....

fwiw we should have a tgo cookout one day.......anyhow:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

The 6x6 and 6x8 A-MAZE-N-SMOKERS(AMNS)PATENTED are light weight, durable and portable smoke generators, that produce great quality smoke for cold and hot smoking. They are versatile enough to be used in just about any smoker or a grill. The Original A-MAZE-N-SMOKERS were designed to burn sawdust for cold smoking, but customers quickly found them useful at higher temps up to 180°.

The A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER(AMNPS)PATENTED is also a light weight, durable and portable smoke generator, but it’s designed to burn pellets or sawdust. The new AMNPS will produce smoke during cold smoking and hot smoking, tested up to 275°!

The latest addition to my smoking arsenal is the A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER(AMNTS)Patent Pending The AMNTS uses the very same materials as my other smokers, but it's in the shape of a tube. It was designed to burn pellets and supplement smoke at higher temps, in Pellet Grills/Smokers. This is where most pellet grills/smokers do not produce much smoke. The AMNTS adds additional smoke at cooking temps, regardless if your pellet grill/smoker is burning pellets or not.

It can also be used in many other types of smokers or grills, where grate space is limited. Just like the other smokers we sell, the AMNTS will produce great smoke for cold smoking as well. The 12" AMNTS will burn up to 4 hours and the 18" AMNTS will burn for up to 6 hours, depending on the smoker temps, type of pellets and draft inside your smoker

Edited by Dustbuster

I have a couple of friends who use these to "cold smoke" cheeses, fish, etc.  They place the AMNPS down on the charcoal grate inside their 22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain, and place the food to be smoked on the top food rack (no lit charcoal in the WSM - just the AMNPS).  One even found Alder sawdust, and used that to make alder smoked sea salt - wonderful stuff!

The AMNPS is the one I was planning to get, but I had not seen the pellet model. I have a buddy that's been using a homemade one for years. I am mixed on the pellets. I have not had great luck with them in the past, might just go straight dust. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the AMNPS with great results. Just make sure to get it started good and let it burn for 10 minutes before blowing out the flame and putting it in the smoker and it will do just fine.

I use a propane torch to get it good and hot to start and have never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Using this type of setup is called the Minion Method if I recall!

My understanding of the Minion method was spreading a layer of lit coals over a pile of cold coals. I was doing that a long time ago, but I didn't know it had a name. :) 

The beauty of the sawdust snake box, that's what I call them, is that you can smoke with or without heat or without affecting heat. In my old age, I am using an electric smoker. The temp is very steady and it produces great meat. But, I have to load the wood chips often and it's a pain. I can put one of these boxes in at the beginning and get all the smoke I would ever need for a cook. Also, there is less chance of flare up when using these. 

The real "must have" for food smokers is a big green egg (biggreenegg.com) which will literally change your life after you eat food cooked on it. I've been egging for many years and never use my kitchen to cook, ever.

Sure, if you want to get raped. :(

[quote name="SWJewellTN" post="1145224" timestamp="1399045578"]Sure, if you want to get raped. :([/quote] Agree their retail prices are crazy, but I got all my eggs for less than $500, and I've purchased two dozen to-date for friends and family. If you ate food from one then you would even be willing to pay retail, it's just something you have to try to understand, it's as addictive as crack... :-)
[quote name="wileecoyote" post="1145255" timestamp="1399051095"]Agree their retail prices are crazy, but I got all my eggs for less than $500, and I've purchased two dozen to-date for friends and family. If you ate food from one then you would even be willing to pay retail, it's just something you have to try to understand, it's as addictive as crack... :-)[/quote] Can we be friends and/or family? :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Can we be friends and/or family? :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure. :-)

FYI - I did volunteer as a chef and organizer / host of a big cookout / party for local gun folks a few years ago. We had over 300 sign up, then 157 actually committed to show when the details were finalized, and about 75 actually showed up on the day. I took my big green egg and cooked tons of food, along with all the food others came with. We even got some local dealers to sponsor the event and donate door prizes. It was a lot of fun.

Agree their retail prices are crazy, but I got all my eggs for less than $500, and I've purchased two dozen to-date for friends and family. If you ate food from one then you would even be willing to pay retail, it's just something you have to try to understand, it's as addictive as crack... :-)

I have a buddy that has one.  It is good, but I wasn't so impressed that I had to run out and buy one.  Money wasn't the issue, I just didn't find that I liked the food off of it any better than the food off of my weber grill.  I know that is blasphemy for the green egg owners.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...