So what is the catch with the gift cards?

TerryW

I always see gift cards from Lowes or HomeDepot on CL.  So what is the catch a $400 card for $300?  Are the cards stolen, fake or what?  I could see someone getting a $50 or $100 card as a gift and not needing it but there is always a handful of $300 to $500 cards on there..

Anyone know?  Inquiring minds want to know.....

I've known people to get gift cards for large amounts as wedding or housewarming gifts, only to turn around and sell them for fifty or seventy-five cents on the dollar. I've bought some in the past. If I don't know the person, I meet them at the store to ensure the cards are legit. I haven't had any issues. Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1

Pretty much what TDR says, plus a lot of companies give them out to their employees as awards, local schools and PD's FD's have raffles etc... My wife has had a few gift cards worth a good amount that we ebay'd because they were to stores we had never stepped in before.

Gift cards are as good as cash in many cases. When I need to build up my gas points at Kroger I will buy several cards to be used at places like Logan's or Cracker barrel. I get double fuel points depending on the amount and then sometimes down the road I will use the cards to eat out with friends. i have even bought Lowes cards a few times because I have a few buddies that do remodeling jobs and they will buy them from me because they are going to have to buy stuff at Lowes anyway to do the work. All, help me build fuel points and with gasoline prices going up everyday the 50 and sometimes up to a dollar off a gallon can really help....jmho

• Like 1

Gift cards are as good as cash in many cases. When I need to build up my gas points at Kroger I will buy several cards to be used at places like Logan's or Cracker barrel. I get double fuel points depending on the amount and then sometimes down the road I will use the cards to eat out with friends. i have even bought Lowes cards a few times because I have a few buddies that do remodeling jobs and they will buy them from me because they are going to have to buy stuff at Lowes anyway to do the work. All, help me build fuel points and with gasoline prices going up everyday the 50 and sometimes up to a dollar off a gallon can really help....jmho

That's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought about that. I use my Kroger card to save a few cents per gallon, but that sounds like an even better savings.

I try to do that as well.

Did a lot more shopping with Kroger before they cut out the 10% Senior Wednesdays though.

We buy the gift cards for gas to use the gas points. If we buy all of our cards at once for the month, using points from the cards and the groceries, we have been able to save $1.00 a gallon on a fill up.

Kroger will also do double points and other promotions to really stretch that dollar.

Actually ~ A lot of the time, if its $200+ (and its a nice rounded number) -- Its fraud.  The gift card will be legit, the Credit Card that purchased it however, will be stolen.

I actually got in trouble a couple times back in my teen years working at Macy's.  The thieves would come 5 minutes before closing, and would ask for a gift card.  Being young and dumb and wanting to get out of work as quickly as possible ~ I never checked the ID.  Ended up being stolen Credit Cards, where they purchased the gift cards with them.

Whenever I see gift cards for sale that are over $150-200 ... I automatically assume that is what it is :)  LOL

• Like 1

i know

Actually ~ A lot of the time, if its $200+ (and its a nice rounded number) -- Its fraud.  The gift card will be legit, the Credit Card that purchased it however, will be stolen.

I actually got in trouble a couple times back in my teen years working at Macy's.  The thieves would come 5 minutes before closing, and would ask for a gift card.  Being young and dumb and wanting to get out of work as quickly as possible ~ I never checked the ID.  Ended up being stolen Credit Cards, where they purchased the gift cards with them.

Whenever I see gift cards for sale that are over $150-200 ... I automatically assume that is what it is :)  LOL

i know at kroger they take cash only for gift cards not credit due to that reason

i know

i know at kroger they take cash only for gift cards not credit due to that reason

Is this a new policy?  I only ever use plastic and have purchased quite a few gift cards with plastic at Kroger :)  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
[quote name="luke9511" post="1143371" timestamp="1398628906"]i guess they changed it, it was cash only back in 2008-2010[/quote] Some stores may have stricter policies than others due to past issues. I know at Walgreens we would have stricter rules regarding accepted payment methods for different products (gift cards, cigarettes, etc.) due to past problems with fraud at a particular location.
I've sold a couple myself, but never on craigslist. For example right now I'm sitting on a $150 one to Sperry's (nice steak place) that one of the MDs I work with got me and the wife back at Christmas. Haven't used it, likely never will. I might end up selling it off just to get some free cash

I would steer clear of any used gift card unless you know and trust the person you are getting it from.  I spent several years in loss prevention and in that time I spent a good deal of time messing with gift card fraud.  I remember one circumstance where we canceled a gift card after a thief stole merchandise and then returned it.  The customer then pawned the gift card and it was purchased by an elderly lady.  That old lady was pretty upset that she had spent something like $250 for a $400 gift card that was no good. Thing is you have zero recourse if you buy a bogus card.  If you decide to buy one anyway, meet the seller at the store, have the store tell you the amount on the card then use the card immediately. 

• Like 2

I would steer clear of any used gift card unless you know and trust the person you are getting it from.  I spent several years in loss prevention and in that time I spent a good deal of time messing with gift card fraud.  I remember one circumstance where we canceled a gift card after a thief stole merchandise and then returned it.  The customer then pawned the gift card and it was purchased by an elderly lady.  That old lady was pretty upset that she had spent something like $250 for a $400 gift card that was no good. Thing is you have zero recourse if you buy a bogus card.  If you decide to buy one anyway, meet the seller at the store, have the store tell you the amount on the card then use the card immediately. 

If I buy a Bogus card it will be from Kroger and you can bet me and Kroger will have words.

• Like 1

I try to do that as well.

Did a lot more shopping with Kroger before they cut out the 10% Senior Wednesdays though.

They did quit doing the 10% on 1st Wednesday which I thought kinda sucked but living of fixed income and monthly check did not fall so I could take advantage every month till I learned that they now give 5% every Wednesday to Seniors. If you shop 4 times a month and not do all your shopping on one day and shop 4 times a month your really getting 20% off a month. I have learned to shop 4 times a month and buy select things I need on each trip. A lot easier to keep fresh veggies in the house by shopping 4 times a month too. Not good if you have to drive far but I am about 3 minutes from Kroger so gives me a reason to get out more and I can still rack up fuel points and if I am close to my 1$ or 2$ off I will fill in with gift cards. I don't know how many folks have been doing this but you can get up to 35 gallons per purchase on fuel points per month. My Jeep holds 18 gallons when on empty so I have five 5 gallon cans I take with me and I fill the Jeep up and then finish getting my 35 gallons by filling gas cans. By doing that I have enough gas for the whole month or might use some in my bass boat to go fishing and lawn mowers.. I make sure I get my moneys worth when ever possible................jmho

• Like 1
Guest lilfishbigpond
[quote name="bersaguy" post="1143470" timestamp="1398642900"]They did quit doing the 10% on 1st Wednesday which I thought kinda sucked but living of fixed income and monthly check did not fall so I could take advantage every month till I learned that they now give 5% every Wednesday to Seniors. If you shop 4 times a month and not do all your shopping on one day and shop 4 times a month your really getting 20% off a month. I have learned to shop 4 times a month and buy select things I need on each trip. A lot easier to keep fresh veggies in the house by shopping 4 times a month too. Not good if you have to drive far but I am about 3 minutes from Kroger so gives me a reason to get out more and I can still rack up fuel points and if I am close to my 1$ or 2$ off I will fill in with gift cards. I don't know how many folks have been doing this but you can get up to 35 gallons per purchase on fuel points per month. My Jeep holds 18 gallons when on empty so I have five 5 gallon cans I take with me and I fill the Jeep up and then finish getting my 35 gallons by filling gas cans. By doing that I have enough gas for the whole month or might use some in my bass boat to go fishing and lawn mowers.. I make sure I get my moneys worth when ever possible................jmho[/quote] Sounds like you are getting a nice discount but I'm not following your math on the "4 times a month equals 20% off" since shopping 4 times at 5% off each is still just 5% off your total expenses for the month. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you are getting a nice discount but I'm not following your math on the "4 times a month equals 20% off" since shopping 4 times at 5% off each is still just 5% off your total expenses for the month. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Well if most seniors like myself did al or most all of their shopping on that 1 Wednesday a month which mean't they would get most everything for a month. But you can't buy fresh veggies and expect them to last  a  month. There are things you still have to buy during the month. If you buy them on a Wednesday you get 5% on that Wednesday. Then if you go on the next Wednesday and buy more things you normally buy during the month that is twice you have saved 5 % and if you do that say 4 times a month 4 times you have saved 5% and 4 times 5 = 20 where as when you tried to do all your shopping on that 1 Wednesday for 10% you still needed to go back to the store a few more times a month anyway so do it on Wednesday and save another 5%. I know it probably doens not make a lot of sense but it does for me.............. :rock: :rock:

Edited by bersaguy

Well if most seniors like myself did al or most all of their shopping on that 1 Wednesday a month which mean't they would get most everything for a month. But you can't buy fresh veggies and expect them to last  a  month. There are things you still have to buy during the month. If you buy them on a Wednesday you get 5% on that Wednesday. Then if you go on the next Wednesday and buy more things you normally buy during the month that is twice you have saved 5 % and if you do that say 4 times a month 4 times you have saved 5% and 4 times 5 = 20 where as when you tried to do all your shopping on that 1 Wednesday for 10% you still needed to go back to the store a few more times a month anyway so do it on Wednesday and save another 5%. I know it probably doens not make a lot of sense but it does for me.............. :rock: :rock:

You missed your calling as a government economist.

- OS

• Like 3

Reading this makes me wish we had a Kroger nearby dangit. To my knowledge Chattanooga doesn't have one. I'd like a Food City too

Kroger pulled out of Nooga many years ago rather than accede to union demands, though that was possibly just the last straw among other reasons, not sure -- sold everything  to Red Food, which sold to Bi-Lo soon after.  Don't know what the story is on Food City there, but it's overall the highest here in Knox.

- OS

• Like 1