Murfreesboro Gun Buy Back

I didn't hear about this buy back until a few minutes ago when I read a post on another forum.

Someone said he others went to this gun buy back today, and were told by local police that the ATF would arrest them for buying guns that were originally headed to the buy back program.

Any TGO members stop by there today?

[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1143156" timestamp="1398561086"]I didn't hear about this buy back until a few minutes ago when I read a post on another forum. Someone said he others went to this gun buy back today, and were told by local police that the ATF would arrest them for buying guns that were originally headed to the buy back program. Any TGO members stop by there today?[/quote] .GOV hates competition

I didn't hear about this buy back until a few minutes ago when I read a post on another forum.

Someone said he others went to this gun buy back today, and were told by local police that the ATF would arrest them for buying guns that were originally headed to the buy back program.

Any TGO members stop by there today?

So, private sales would be illegal, even though it is technically legal?

Good thing police aren't lawyers last I checked.

Edited by Ted S.
  • Like 1

I don't necessarily doubt it was said.

- OS

[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1143156" timestamp="1398561086"] Someone said he others went to this gun buy back today, and were told by local police that the ATF would arrest them for buying guns that were originally headed to the buy back program [/quote] I'm just stupid enough I might have made them show me. Yeah, stupid
  • Like 1
Guest sigequinox

I always wanted to set up a tent next to one of these and buy guns back for "10% more than whatever those guys offer you". Seriously these idiots sell AR 15s for like 200 bucks, their grandfathers original perfect condition colt pythons for 100 bucks. Every now and then a museum worthy collectors piece worth over 10k will make its way to one of these LE scrap stations. I hurts me on the inside. It's like seeing dogs get taken to a pound only to know their ultimate fate is a kill shelter. :(

Edited by sigequinox

I'm just stupid enough I might have made them show me. Yeah, stupid

Be quite surprised if an agent is even there. If they were, 'bout all they could do is set up sting operation against the sellers by posing as buyers and saying they were from out of state or couldn't legally buy from FFL and the like.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Be quite surprised if an agent is even there. If they were, 'bout all they could do is set up sting operation against the sellers by posing as buyers and saying they were from out of state or couldn't legally buy from FFL and the like.

- OS

Or try to sell you a NFA item, perhaps claim you were unlicensed dealer based on volume of the day. Edited by R_Bert

Or try to sell you a NFA item, perhaps claim you were unlicensed dealer based on volume of the day.

18 USC/921-922 only addresses the standard for selling without a license -- buying any quantity without a license is not unlawful, but yeah, I guess they could always try to put a NFA firearm in your hand, and I suppose x number would fall for it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

heh. that will stop the authoritah?

Yeah, I believe it does. ATF's thuggery rep aside,  they generally get their ducks in a row evidence wise first. And certainly, zero evidence of selling without a license can be present until you actually, you know,  sell.

Locals are much more likely to abuse things -- hell, they could try "creating public disturbance" or something I guess when they're pissed.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Yeah you'd definitely have to watch your P's and Q's on what you bought (we should anyway) but I really would like to save some guns from a buy back one day. Like OS, I would think you'd have more fuss out of the local LEO's Edited by KKing

Evidently it was not advertised very well if no one from this site knew about it till yesterday. I think we have quite a few members here from down around the boro and you would think someone would have spoke up. Maybe it's a bunch of cops just out to collect guns for their own personal collection so when they happen to shoot an unarmed bad guy they have a plant gun to make it a good shoot. Now for those of you LEO's that are here I am not saying anything against y'all LEO's. I just know it does happen cause I had two brothers on the force years ago and I heard them talk about it happening. Back years ago many LEO's carried Switch blade pocket knives to do the same things with so it was handled as a self defense issue................Now with that said I do have the utmost respect for good Cops and this day in time more than back years ago because back years ago you didn't have to wear Kevlar to patrol the streets and you didn't deal with so many gangs as there are today. You guys have a tough job and I know I would not want to be an officer these days and admire those who do and do it right...............jmho

Evidently it was not advertised very well if no one from this site knew about it till yesterday. I think we have quite a few members here from down around the boro and you would think someone would have spoke up. Maybe it's a bunch of cops just out to collect guns for their own personal collection so when they happen to shoot an unarmed bad guy they have a plant gun to make it a good shoot. Now for those of you LEO's that are here I am not saying anything against y'all LEO's. I just know it does happen cause I had two brothers on the force years ago and I heard them talk about it happening. Back years ago many LEO's carried Switch blade pocket knives to do the same things with so it was handled as a self defense issue................Now with that said I do have the utmost respect for good Cops and this day in time more than back years ago because back years ago you didn't have to wear Kevlar to patrol the streets and you didn't deal with so many gangs as there are today. You guys have a tough job and I know I would not want to be an officer these days and admire those who do and do it right...............jmho

While that may or may not happen (I have no idea), it can't be easy for the LEO's who are "gun guys/gals" to watch some of those guns being destroyed. Sure, some of them are complete junk, but I have seen photos of some very nice guns being collected at those events.

While that may or may not happen (I have no idea), it can't be easy for the LEO's who are "gun guys/gals" to watch some of those guns being destroyed. Sure, some of them are complete junk, but I have seen photos of some very nice guns being collected at those events.

I will have to agree with you on that TDR. If your a gun enthusiast which I assure many LEO's are it has to be a hard thing to watch some really great weapons going into the furnace or band saws to be destroyed..............jmho

Like that STG 44 that showed up at a California buy back?

I thought there was a special exception made and they entered it in the registry so the owner could sell it?

Another PD department did that. Not the CA one.

Truth is that it is more then likely in 1) a police officer's house, 2) politician's house, 3) or a drug dealer's house.

The only time in my life I would consider breaking into someones house and leaving them a gift card for the amount of the item they "stole" ie, not gave whats fare from it.

Edited by RC3
Could have sworn that was the case within the last year or so at one of these things. As I recall her husband brought it back from the war, threw it in a closet and forgot about it. She found it years later and didn't want it so she went for her giftcard and someone was awful human about it and gave her a heads up on what she had.

Maybe it was just a pleasant dream.