looking for good ways to break awesome news! (or bad depending on how you look at it)

RC3

I been thinking about getting another puppy. I love my dog to death, but he seems very lonely when I am not around. And my mom's yorky is unliked by both of us. I have found a few places in the boro that allow pets but in the mean time I been thinking about getting another dapple in the mean time. I know my brother will like him, my mom will hate him and my dad will be indifferent. Last time I showed up at home with a dog, things didnt go so well. How do you guys think I should go about this and do you guys know any respectable dachshund breeders in the middle TN area?

TONS of grammatical errors. Had to fix them before the grammar nazi firing squad got to me. 

Edited by RC3

Not challenging but why get another pet if the people youre living with wont like it from the get go? not fair to the pet or your other dog at all, or you...Pets give unconditional love and ask for love,Dachshunds are a breed to their own, and aren't the best dogs to be left alone. My sisters had 3 of em....Your family may get really really disturbed if you bring something home that will be not liked by the majority..........just sayin

• Like 4
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1142818" timestamp="1398469173"]I'd suggest saving that money for your own place to live. Then you don't have to worry about what everyone else thinks.[/quote] I'll second this
  • Like 1

well most of my life I have owned 1 or more dogs. Right now I have one but she does not know she is a dog. She is not sure about a few things but being a dog is not one of them. My friends all tell me that she has me very well trained.... :shrug: I have had her since she had blue puppy film eyes and puppy breathe. She is now going on 15 years old and a few of my close friends have told me they worry about her and I. B.T. told me a few weeks back that he has never seen such a companionship or bond between a person and and a dog as the one between Kasey and I. He said he is worry tat if he loses one of us he is almost positive he will lose the other over grief. My son in law thinks I don't know but he has plans of having another dog in my life if I ever were to lose Kasey but he will be an very unhappy camper stuck with a dog. I could become attached to a dog in a heartbeat if I were younger but I am aware of the fact it would not be fair to the dog because a young dog will surely out live me so I would not want the burden of worrying about who would care for it if I should die. I already worry about that with Kasey but B.T. as already made his wife aware of the fact that if anything happens to me Kasey will be moving in and his wife said I already knew that. He knows Kasey's routine as well as I do and Kasey has know him about as long as she has known me so she will not be going to some stranger.

Sorry for getting off track a little but when it comes to dogs that is easy for me to do. As far as getting another dog while living in someone else's home. I would not do that but that is my thoughts on it. I would wait and get my own place first. As far as your dog being lonesome. :panic:  I would not worry to much about that. Dogs don't get lonesome because dogs have no conception of time. If you want to see it is an easy test. Next time you are away from your dog for an extended period of time, when you return home watch the reaction you get for coming home. Then a few days later get in your car and drive around for about 15 minutes and then return home and you will see your dog will react as if you were gone for hours. I have a vet tell me that years ago and about 5 dogs ago and each time I tested the dog it was the same............ :wave:

I love dogs (as you can probably tell from my pic) but you've gotten some good advice here...I strongly suggest you think about your priorities and whether they are aligned correctly.  If you are an adult then it's time to be in your own place and to be blunt, if you can't afford your own place then you really shouldn't be looking for another pet.

I'm sure your dog is lonely but most dogs adapt to their owners being away and getting another dog it no guarantee that they will hit it off and be friends; you may just make the situation worse.

• Like 1

I love dogs (as you can probably tell from my pic) but you've gotten some good advice here...I strongly suggest you think about your priorities and whether they are aligned correctly.  If you are an adult then it's time to be in your own place and to be blunt, if you can't afford your own place then you really shouldn't be looking for another pet.

I'm sure your dog is lonely but most dogs adapt to their owners being away and getting another dog it no guarantee that they will hit it off and be friends; you may just make the situation worse.

Its not being able to afford a place, is finding the right one. Since I will be going back to school soon I need to find the perfect spot. We have always had dachshunds or dobermans, so another one wouldnt be too far of a surprise. My mom is afraid he might turn out like mario and be over protective and aggressive towards strangers that he has not gotten acquainted with.  If I leave the house due to travel or work for a few days my dog always waits for me in my room. Same thing when I used to be with my ex.  Sad truth is that I love him and want to get another one. He gets along well to great with other dogs, but my mom's yorky is an attention whore and doesnt want to play. But yeah, I might just hold off until I can find a house with a big back yard for them to go crazy in. Thanks for the tips.

The person who pays the bills makes the rules. Go ask that person for permission, not an internet group. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Then I have a say! Too bad it will probably be no. Oh well, back to netflix and snuggling with mario. 

Guest Lowbuster

well most of my life I have owned 1 or more dogs. Right now I have one but she does not know she is a dog. She is not sure about a few things but being a dog is not one of them. My friends all tell me that she has me very well trained.... :shrug: I have had her since she had blue puppy film eyes and puppy breathe. She is now going on 15 years old and a few of my close friends have told me they worry about her and I. B.T. told me a few weeks back that he has never seen such a companionship or bond between a person and and a dog as the one between Kasey and I. He said he is worry tat if he loses one of us he is almost positive he will lose the other over grief. My son in law thinks I don't know but he has plans of having another dog in my life if I ever were to lose Kasey but he will be an very unhappy camper stuck with a dog. I could become attached to a dog in a heartbeat if I were younger but I am aware of the fact it would not be fair to the dog because a young dog will surely out live me so I would not want the burden of worrying about who would care for it if I should die. I already worry about that with Kasey but B.T. as already made his wife aware of the fact that if anything happens to me Kasey will be moving in and his wife said I already knew that. He knows Kasey's routine as well as I do and Kasey has know him about as long as she has known me so she will not be going to some stranger.
  Sorry for getting off track a little but when it comes to dogs that is easy for me to do. As far as getting another dog while living in someone else's home. I would not do that but that is my thoughts on it. I would wait and get my own place first. As far as your dog being lonesome. :panic:  I would not worry to much about that. Dogs don't get lonesome because dogs have no conception of time. If you want to see it is an easy test. Next time you are away from your dog for an extended period of time, when you return home watch the reaction you get for coming home. Then a few days later get in your car and drive around for about 15 minutes and then return home and you will see your dog will react as if you were gone for hours. I have a vet tell me that years ago and about 5 dogs ago and each time I tested the dog it was the same............ :wave:

I have 3 shelties, 2 run the farm at my dads and 1 lives in our home. When its time to wake my wife, she goes to the bedroom door. I thought many years ago it was a fluke, but she still comes to my chair, mumbles to me and goes to the bedroom door., I'm not saying she tells time, but she knows something.

I have 3 shelties, 2 run the farm at my dads and 1 lives in our home. When its time to wake my wife, she goes to the bedroom door. I thought many years ago it was a fluke, but she still comes to my chair, mumbles to me and goes to the bedroom door., I'm not saying she tells time, but she knows something.

Don't ever underestimate how smart dogs are. I can set my clocks by things Kasey knows to do. If she is out doors and it reaches 4Pm she comes to the door and scratches telling me it's her supper time. If she is out doors and going to sleep in her house outside she will be at the door at 9PM sharp to get her nite nite snacks and when she sees me reach for the snack bags she goes in her house and i put them inside it for her If it's cold and she is inside at 4Pm she comes and puts her paws in my lap to get her supper and then at nite nite time again at 9 Pm it's paws on the lap and when I reach for the snack bags she goes and gets in her bed and I put the snacks in the bed with her.. If she is inside and it's time to go out her paws land firmly on the edge of my bed mattress and I see her smiling face at or very close to 8AM telling me it's time to get up and let her out to do business. Spoiled , very much so,  smart?  All my friends say she has e trained quite well so yea, shes smart but she is my best friend and she knows it................... :up:  :up:  

Edited by bersaguy

Mario wakes me up at 5:30 every morning for me to wake him. They can tell time, its just if they fully comprehend it. 

They don't comprehend periods of time you are away from them but they can learn times by routines as part of nature. Routines are a thing that they learn by being taught. I was the one that began feeding Kasey every evening at 4 Pm so she learned that. I always tried to put her to bed at 9Pm and she learned that by being taught. Same thing with waking me up in the morning. I use to set my clock to wake me up at 7:45 AM and first thing I would do was let her out and then get my morning coffee so she was taught that I get up at that time and it becomes a routine.

Guest Lowbuster

Don't ever underestimate how smart dogs are. I can set my clocks by things Kasey knows to do. If she is out doors and it reaches 4Pm she comes to the door and scratches telling me it's her supper time. If she is out doors and going to sleep in her house outside she will be at the door at 9PM sharp to get her nite nite snacks and when she sees me reach for the snack bags she goes in her house and i put them inside it for her If it's cold and she is inside at 4Pm she comes and puts her paws in my lap to get her supper and then at nite nite time again at 9 Pm it's paws on the lap and when I reach for the snack bags she goes and gets in her bed and I put the snacks in the bed with her.. If she is inside and it's time to go out her paws land firmly on the edge of my bed mattress and I see her smiling face at or very close to 8AM telling me it's time to get up and let her out to do business. Spoiled , very much so, smart? All my friends say she has e trained quite well so yea, shes smart but she is my best friend and she knows it................... :up: :up:

We have to spoil them, they're part of the family. You are right, it's routine for them to notice things just as we do.
Oh and our Bridget is spoiled rotten to the core.

They don't comprehend periods of time you are away from them but they can learn times by routines as part of nature. Routines are a thing that they learn by being taught. I was the one that began feeding Kasey every evening at 4 Pm so she learned that. I always tried to put her to bed at 9Pm and she learned that by being taught. Same thing with waking me up in the morning. I use to set my clock to wake me up at 7:45 AM and first thing I would do was let her out and then get my morning coffee so she was taught that I get up at that time and it becomes a routine.

Thats the thing, I never made a routine out of it. He is always up at 5:30 and gets me out of bed. Some mornings hes kind enough to let me sleep in until 5:45.

We have to spoil them, they're part of the family. You are right, it's routine for them to notice things just as we do.
Oh and our Bridget is spoiled rotten to the core.

And he who doesnt spoil his beloved companion, has not right to have him as a best friend.