How often do you carry?

How often do you carry a gun?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following best describes your gun carry habits?

• I carry at all times, no matter what.
    • I carry when I think I may need a gun.
    • I keep a gun in my vehicle, but it's not usually on m person.
    • I have a permit but a rarely actually carry my gun.

DS - you don't get to pick your family, but you did get to pick all your friends on TGO!!!

Here's my standard answer when asked...

"are you walking heavy?"

"only when wearing pants (or shorts)."

Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 1

DS, 

Thanks for sharing. I know first hand sometimes unstable people can start to make you question whether you remember things correctly, or just losing your mind. It's like you have an exchange with someone and they are so out that you question whether or not things happened the way you just saw them happen. I can't imagine what you guys went through. Stay Strong.

Guest Lowbuster
Wow Dolomite. I thought my family was messed up. I applaud you for caring enough to cut them off.I've found I have friends closer than family. It seems like your the only one in your family trying to do the right thing.

The amount of BS my father, mother and brother have done to us is staggering. I have ZERO contact with any of them now because of what they tried to do to me the last time I talked to them. I will NEVER help them. If they came to my door begging for help I would close the blinds and call 911 rather than let them in. They are sick, twisted people and have been since I was a child.

The amount of BS my father, mother and brother have done to us is staggering. I have ZERO contact with any of them now because of what they tried to do to me the last time I talked to them. I will NEVER help them. If they came to my door begging for help I would close the blinds and call 911 rather than let them in. They are sick, twisted people and have been since I was a child.

That’s why I don’t judge the parents for anyone’s actions. I’ve done a lot of things some people don’t think is right, but it wasn’t because my parents didn’t raise me right; they were good parents. I take responsibility for my actions; right or wrong.

In your case you apparently turned out okay in spite of messed up parents.
  • Like 2

That’s why I don’t judge the parents for anyone’s actions. I’ve done a lot of things some people don’t think is right, but it wasn’t because my parents didn’t raise me right; they were good parents. I take responsibility for my actions; right or wrong.In your case you apparently turned out okay in spite of messed up parents.

Yep
24/7. I don't actually sleep with it on but it's on my nightstand. I tell anyone who has an intrest in getting a HCP to carry it all the time because I believe it's safer, meaning the more you handle your handgun(in a safe manner) the more it becomes an unconscience habit, the more you feel comfortable with it. Respect it but don't be afraid of it and go out and shoot the damn thing every now and then. I know a person who has a hcp who hardly ever carries it much less even handle it, and I can tell he's even scared of the gun somewhat. Either get over it or sell it to me at a great price.

My wife had a group of ladies that were her friends. They all had their HCP but none of them carried and most did not own a gun. They said they got the HCP so they could impress the bartender when he asked for their ID. To them it was more about bragging about having the HCP than actually carrying or protecting themselves or their family.

My wife had a group of ladies that were her friends. They all had their HCP but none of them carried and most did not own a gun. They said they got the HCP so they could impress the bartender when he asked for their ID. To them it was more about bragging about having the HCP than actually carrying or protecting themselves or their family.

That's a pretty stupid reason, they're just donating $115 to the state so they can brag.

My workplace officially prohibits any weapons. No "gun buster" sign so there wouldn't be criminal charges, but it is a firing offense. Other than this one policy I like my job. Going armed has always been a no-no here, but they strengthened the language in The Manual a few years back when they found out one now former employee had been packing while verbally threatening a supervisor.

That said, other than a few token anti-gun liberals, pretty much everyone in my division is pro-gun; men and women, technicians to vice presidents. I'm fairly confident the guy one desk over always has a gun on him, but we all stick to the "don't ask don't tell" policy.

Also, I work in downtown Chattanooga and my kids are in school and active in sports. The list of places I go where guns are prohibited is much longer than where they are allowed. I couldn't walk across the river for lunch because the walking bridge is officially a "park". I couldn't walk across the street to grab food from the group of food trucks because they're set up in a "park". Heck, even the medians of some boulevards are considered "parks". And of course, guns are off-limits at the soccer fields, schools, and playgrounds where I often take my kids. 

So now I only carry on my person when traveling. Otherwise my 9mm is in my center console or at home.

I always carry one or more when away from the house, unless it's illegal. I avoid going to those places whenever possible by buying car tags/paying taxes online, etc., or just don't go there. At home there's either one on the nightstand, on a table next to me, or in my pocket/on my belt. Like others, if I'm going somewhere I think I'll need one, I don't need to go there.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I carry every day, everywhere it is legal. If I go to a business and it is posted,I take my money elsewhere. I carry at home as the stuff can hit the fan anytime, anywhere. Our children have left the nest, so at night it's within reach. I agree with Authenticman, the best place for the weapon is in the safe or within my immediate reach. 

That door you just kicked in was for your protection, not mine. 

• Like 1
Ok so here's my question and I'm not trying to stir the pot but I've been thinking.
I've read many responses to this thread saying if they are going some where they think you'll need one you won't go there. I understand what you are saying. But we all carry all of the time. Doesn't that mean we are always going somewhere where we think we will need one? Edited by LowBb

Ok so here's my question and I'm not trying to stir the pot but I've been thinking.
I've read many responses to this thread saying if they are going some where they think you'll need one you won't go there. I understand what you are saying. But we all carry all of the time. Doesn't that mean we are always going somewhere where we think we will need one?

I think it is the difference between it being possible that one will need to defend oneself (which could happen anywhere at any time) and being likely that one will need to defend oneself.

• Like 2

I've read many responses to this thread saying if they are going some where they think you'll need one you won't go there. I understand what you are saying. But we all carry all of the time. Doesn't that mean we are always going somewhere where we think we will need one?

I think it's just redundancy for staying safe and a matter of being prepared.  Same reason I keep a fire extinguisher in my kitchen.  I don't plan on their being a fire but if there is one I want to be prepared. 

I get what the others are saying though. it's kind of like "Just because I carry a gun doesn't mean I'm going to walk the dark alleys in the bad part of town at 2 a.m."

I think it's just redundancy for staying safe and a matter of being prepared.  Same reason I keep a fire extinguisher in my kitchen.  I don't plan on their being a fire but if there is one I want to be prepared. 

I get what the others are saying though. it's kind of like "Just because I carry a gun doesn't mean I'm going to walk the dark alleys in the bad part of town at 2 a.m."

Right. 

I've been thinking about this. It boils down to a few things, but one is fear. We carry, or at least I do, out of the fear of getting jumped or my family getting in the way of some crackhead or criminal. We have fear our houses will get broken into. There are many, but it boils down to fear of the unknown. I'm ok with that. I'm not afraid to say I'm scared to get jumped and therefore I'm gonna carry a gun and hopefully get them before they get me.

Being prepared comes in too big time. 

The other reason I'm sure many of us carry, at least for me, is it's darn fun to carry a heater. It's fun to practice safety, fun to find cool holsters, fun to go to the range, fun to talk to others about guns and gun safety, and just plain fun. 

Edited by LowBb

I'd guess most of this group will not renew their permits.

I think it is the difference between it being possible that one will need to defend oneself (which could happen anywhere at any time) and being likely that one will need to defend oneself.

If it's likely that I will need a weapon in a particular place, it's likely that I don't need to be there.
  • Like 2