My car buying experience this weekend

I think your wife made a great choice.  The Accords are fantastic cars.  I just sold mine a month or so ago to a fellow at work only because he has been bugging the crap out of me to sell it to him so he can give it to his son.  I put 250k miles on it without the first problem.  I was so impressed with my Accord that I bought a new Honda Crosstour to replace my Accord.  I was looking for something 4x4 with decent gas mileage (~26 mpg).

In contrast, we had a 1995 Accord that was a POS. The biggest problem being having to replace the transmission with 80,000 miles on it.

In contrast, we had a 1995 Accord that was a POS. The biggest problem being having to replace the transmission with 80,000 miles on it.

While I think Hondas are better than your average make, they do have their problems. Their transmissions have serious problems and are apparently made of glass. We had a 1998 Accord v-6 that a mechanic at Honda told us was the worst transmission ever made and ever put in a vehicle. Ironically, it still felt strong when we traded it in at 125k, during this time my mother's 2001 Civic had to have a new transmission at 100k and my cousins Civic at 90k. My biggest mechanical compliant on the Accord was that it ate tires like candy because it would not hold an alignment. Another serious issue was a check engine light that was on because of a TSB involving a bad gasket but they wouldn't fix because it was out if warranty. I have never heard of a manufacturer that issued a TSB but would only fix it if in warranty. Truthfully though it never mattered because I never lived anywhere that required emissions while we had that vehicle. I also felt that on that vehicle the clear coat and the paint was bad, the vehicle had been very well cared for but the paint was terrible.

to me the big problem of car buying is the wife.  i have to go to several dealers looking at cars that i think the wife will want.  she give me hints from cars that the other girls at her office have.  i then test drive them to the wife's office so she can set in them.  but it can become a job in it self just to get a appointment with the wife to show her a car.  it only takes about five minutes to know if the car is a go or no go.  if the car is a go she will test drive it.  i have seen go cars turn into no go on the test drive.  i like to have two or three cars that she likes.  then it is off to usaa to use their car buying service and the net to check prices, hold back and all the other things that i need to know.  usaa membership is great.  by this time i got several different car salesman calling me to come back to look and buy.   i know the price that i will pay before i go back to the dealer.  i will let the dealer think that he is going to finance the car so he can keep on getting the price to my level.  i like to think i am good at buying a new car, don't know, but the last new car i got was at a price that was fare to me and the dealer per usaa and the research.   never trade in your car.  sale it yourself if you need the money.  or do what i do, i give it to a family member that needs a good high mileage older vehicle.  

Hopefully that wont happen . Our warranty is 100,000 miles/7 yrs on the whole car bumper to bumper . 

While I think Hondas are better than your average make, they do have their problems. Their transmissions have serious problems and are apparently made of glass. We had a 1998 Accord v-6 that a mechanic at Honda told us was the worst transmission ever made and ever put in a vehicle. Ironically, it still felt strong when we traded it in at 125k, during this time my mother's 2001 Civic had to have a new transmission at 100k and my cousins Civic at 90k. My biggest mechanical compliant on the Accord was that it ate tires like candy because it would not hold an alignment. Another serious issue was a check engine light that was on because of a TSB involving a bad gasket but they wouldn't fix because it was out if warranty. I have never heard of a manufacturer that issued a TSB but would only fix it if in warranty. Truthfully though it never mattered because I never lived anywhere that required emissions while we had that vehicle. I also felt that on that vehicle the clear coat and the paint was bad, the vehicle had been very well cared for but the paint was terrible.

I dont understand how a bad gasket could cause a check engine light to come on unless it involves coolant leakage and or air leakage which would trigger the computer . 

I believe that it was air escape, such as not utilizing the pcv valve, it ran great but triggered the light. These cities that do emissions testing will not test if the check engine light is on, even though it had nothing to do with air pollutants from the tailpipe.

to me the big problem of car buying is the wife.  i have to go to several dealers looking at cars that i think the wife will want.  she give me hints from cars that the other girls at her office have.  i then test drive them to the wife's office so she can set in them.  but it can become a job in it self just to get a appointment with the wife to show her a car.  it only takes about five minutes to know if the car is a go or no go.  if the car is a go she will test drive it.  i have seen go cars turn into no go on the test drive.  i like to have two or three cars that she likes.  then it is off to usaa to use their car buying service and the net to check prices, hold back and all the other things that i need to know.  usaa membership is great.  by this time i got several different car salesman calling me to come back to look and buy.   i know the price that i will pay before i go back to the dealer.  i will let the dealer think that he is going to finance the car so he can keep on getting the price to my level.  i like to think i am good at buying a new car, don't know, but the last new car i got was at a price that was fare to me and the dealer per usaa and the research.   never trade in your car.  sale it yourself if you need the money.  or do what i do, i give it to a family member that needs a good high mileage older vehicle.  

Jeez, are you her husband or chauffeur?

Hopefully that wont happen . Our warranty is 100,000 miles/7 yrs on the whole car bumper to bumper . 

It seems that often a warranty is not a great solution to having a POS car, you end up fighting the company on the warranty on top of having all the car problems. I've been generally lucky so far though.