P.O.S.T question

Guest TNK

My grandfather and I have discussed taking our HCP course. I have looked on a few sites and the closest around is in Columbia, but he would rather do it locally. What questions do I need to ask the locals who do this course to make sure that they are certified. I dont want to go through all the hoops and find out my instructor didnt have the correct certification. Do the instructors have to be P.O.S.T certified? Thanks for any answers...:drool:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Local is a small town in Lawrence Co. maybe ten thousand people tops

P.O.S.T is peace officer standards and training meaning they are certified in the same regards as a police officer I guess, I just remember reading on a website somewhere to make sure your instructor was such certified.

Guest Phantom6

No, P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification is not required. The instructors must be DOS certified since the handgun carry permit is under the domain of the TN Dept. of Safety. The instructor(s) must show you their certification prior to the class and the class must follow the lesson plan laid out by the Dpt. of Safety which shall last a minimum of 8 hours which will include a 45 minute video presentation supplied by the TN Dept. of Safety.

Nonsense! They just need to be cert to give Handgun Carry Permits.There is really not much to the classes,and what is there is regulated by the state.

Edit: Looks like ghost writer types faster then I

Edited by strickj
No, P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification is not required. The instructors must be DOS certified since the handgun carry permit is under the domain of the TN Dept. of Safety. The instructor(s) must show you their certification prior to the class and the class must follow the lesson plan laid out by the Dpt. of Safety which shall last a minimum of 8 hours which will include a 45 minute video presentation supplied by the TN Dept. of Safety.

thank you

Nonsense! They just need to be cert to give Handgun Carry Permits.There is really not much to the classes,and what is there is regulated by the state.

thanks i will check out some of the ads ive seen in our local paper

P.O.S.T. creds will broaden a trainer's horizons when working with problem shooters, but a good one will have civilian training. A retired cop does not necessarily make the best trainer. Armed Citizens have a different set of "rules of engagement".

Law Enforcement trainers must be certified through the Tn Dept of Safety to teach and sign off on the Handgun Carry Permit class.

They should have the Dept of Safety credential for each individual trainer and one certifying a training school in their training room.

In Nashville, Gun City is pricey, but very convenient. Guns and Leather is a bit of a drive, but is cheaper and has a better range. Call them and talk to them. They are both one day classes. Both trainers are old heads and good at what they do. Gun City might still do two four hour nights.

The range matters little. You will shoot in a particular order, and get your certificate. You are not going to move in to the range. Get your permit, then find a trainer to work with in developing your basic and intermediate handgun skills.

Every phase of the class is mandated by the State. Taking a two day class is basically a waste of time.

Took my HCP class in Joelton at ASP. Highly recommend them. I wouldn't go to Gun City if there was a gun to my head. BTW that is about how hard up you would have to be to buy something at their over inflated prices.

Taking a two day class is basically a waste of time.

I have heard quite a few people say that a two-day format is better for them because it's too much to do in one day, so I would submit that "waste of time" is simply a matter of opinion.

Taking a two day class is basically a waste of time.

Interesting.......can you elaborate on why this is your opinion ?

I've got 240 or so HCP alumni who'll tell you that a 2 day class worked out just right for them.....they feel they got a little more than they paid for, they weren't rushed and the new shooters weren't overwhelmed, and they got to shoot more than just 48 rounds.

.....and + 1 robbiev :cheers:

Guest TheBulldog

I would see Eddie Barnes in Brush Creek TN.

He is a great instructor and he only charges 75 Bucks!

If you need his number PM me and I will give it to you.

He also has a full range and it is outdoors with an indoor classroom setup.

Interesting.......can you elaborate on why this is your opinion ?

I've got 240 or so HCP alumni who'll tell you that a 2 day class worked out just right for them.....they feel they got a little more than they paid for, they weren't rushed and the new shooters weren't overwhelmed, and they got to shoot more than just 48 rounds.

.....and + 1 robbiev :D

I would say those that feel there shouldn't even be a permit system and don't like to jump through the hoops the state has places on a supposed right would be the ones that think a 2 day class is a waste of time. They want the minimal class that is required to make the state happy, since they probably feel they shouldn't have to be there in the first place.

Those that are truly wanting to learn more about firearms and shooting probably enjoy a longer class and may and/or should take additional courses.

Just for the record...I lean more toward the first group.

I would say those that feel there shouldn't even be a permit system and don't like to jump through the hoops the state has places on a supposed right would be the ones that think a 2 day class is a waste of time. They want the minimal class that is required to make the state happy, since they probably feel they shouldn't have to be there in the first place.

Those that are truly wanting to learn more about firearms and shooting probably enjoy a longer class and may and/or should take additional courses.

Just for the record...I lean more toward the first group.

By two day class, I was referring to a class that takes 4 hours on two days instead of 8 hours on one day. Either way it's 8 hours.

If you're referring to a class that is 8 hours both days, we're talking about something different.