extra piece (colt woodsman edition)

Jonnin

I have removed the rust, but can't figure out exactly how it all goes together.  Its similar to my mark 2 ruger but different enough...

Its the model with the "modern" mag release on the right handed side,  mid 60s version I suppose?  Thin tapered barrel version.

I have in hand the thing what holds the slide on, and I see how that piece goes.  What I can't seem to figure out is this spring that fell out.  Its a curved piece of spring steel with a hook on one side and a "tab" for doing something on the other.   It came out and I did not get a good look at it, and nothing I have found online yet shows where it was or what it does.   The places that look right seem to interfere with the magazine. 

Anyone have a link to a good pic of it or know what I am talking about enough to help?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no.

in this diagram

http://www.colt22.com/3parts.html

its part 38 if I read the label right.   Its a leaf spring not a coil of any sort.

It goes somewhere behind the hammerspring housing / slide stop / all in one part that comes out of the handle (similar to a ruger mark spring housing). They are calling it the sear spring.  So I guess somehow it pushes up into the main frame onto the sear, but I still don't see how.

I just did the most basic disassembly....   to get the slide off.  Everything else is intact.

Edited by Jonnin

It holds the sear in place to hold the hammer back, somehow.

What I cant "see" is how it fell out.

Did the pistol function before?

Its new to us.  It did function sort of,  with a ton of light strikes but otherwise ok.  Had just a little surface rust on the spring housing piece and under the grips so I was trying to touch that up.

It all came out at once, spring housing, slide, and that spring.   I wish I had been able to see where it was before it did that.

It has to push up into the main frame and hammer etc somehow, but I can't even see the sear, still trying to puzzle at it.

Edited by Jonnin

I think I see what needs to happen, if I could get my hands on it I feel I could get it back together.

Are all the pins there?

Do you ever get to Nashville?

The red marks need to touch when you get back in.

Might not be able to "see" what needs to happen, but try.

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/spring/3mtparts1_zpsbb874f71.jpg.html]3mtparts1_zpsbb874f71.jpg[/URL]

TY,  Ill see if I can even spot the sear bit.  I do not get up that way much, I appreciate that but gas would be more than my gunsmith will charge (and it may end up there but I prefer to DIY if I can as its fun/interesting).  

I have all the pins but they came out to release the hammer spring housing.    I only took out two, maybe it was one too many.

Hmm did someone edit the post to add the solved button or is the software creepy smart?

Edited by Jonnin

TY,  Ill see if I can even spot the sear bit.  I do not get up that way much, I appreciate that but gas would be more than my gunsmith will charge (and it may end up there but I prefer to DIY if I can as its fun/interesting).  

I have all the pins but they came out to release the hammer spring housing.    I only took out two, maybe it was one too many.

Hmm did someone edit the post to add the solved button or is the software creepy smart?

Nope, always been there.

Now on the pins you removed, which ones, what are the part numbers, and in what order?

That is not my exact model -- I could not find the one I have blown out.

The important areas are the same.

I don't have a 21 for example because they went from heel release mag to button on the side. 

Anyway, obviously mag out, then 47 (grip screw/pin) followed by 20 and 37.  There are 2 37s, this is the one that looked like it went thru 29  but apparently does not.  29 was removed, the offending 38 fell out, and the slide was off.  I stopped there.  

Best I can tell 38 hooks on to the 37 pin that should not have come out and sticks up thru the mag-well (there is a slot there) and somehow pushes on the sear.   Even knowing that, I still don't see it, but it was getting rather late last night and maybe a fresh approach tonight will go somewhere.  Looks like I did indeed pull 1 pin too many....  the whole mess may have to come apart to get it back.

will do.  I took a break last night, and will make it an ongoing struggle thru the weekend.  I think what you said is going to be the key -- tonight I will try to put the pin back in, hook it over it, and see if it will just end up in about the right place. 

I am gonna mark it solved.   Its not quite there as I have a screwdriver in place of a pin for now but it dry fires and seems to be correct.

Thanks again for the thoughts,  it really helped!

One of the tricks is the button on top of the slide holds the recoil spring compressed.  If you had 5 hands it would be a neat feature.  If not compressed, the spring wont allow the housing back in. 

Edit: got it!  

Edited by Jonnin