cataract surgery

Glenn

Have any of you other geezers had cataract surgery? How did it affect your shooting?I just had one eye done and the other scheduled next week. I am  hoping it will improve my shooting, since I had gotten to the point my vision was blurry even with glasses. The most surprising thing is the change in brightness and color. Didn't realize what I was missing.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My four year old daughter had cataract surgery on both of her eyes earlier this year and we've noticed vast improvements in her vision.  My prediction is that not only will it make your shooting much better but it will greatly improve your quality of life.

Guest jkb4c

Are you a handgun shooter?

Your vision will be better than it was with cataracts, but unless you had a multi-focal IOL implanted (Tecnis is the one we most commonly use), or your ophthalmologist set you up for monovision, you may find that you still need reading glasses or a bifocal to obtain sharp front sight focus. 

Not cataracts, but I had LASIK to correct a severe astigmatism. Quality of life is much better, no more messing with contacts in the morning and before bed. And the eye tests say I have 20/15 vision now, much better than even with contacts or glasses.
Shooting, my rifle groups (same rifle, same load) have shrunk slightly but pistol is still about the same. I'm not sure the rifle groups are because of my vision or just increased experience.

Dr.warned me ahead of time I would still need reading glasses. I am having Torix (sp) lenses to correct astigmatism. Before the surgery I had multifocal glasses but nothing was really clear, so I am hoping for the best.

My wife had both eyes done a few years ago.  She should have been wearing glasses for years but refused to wear them.  We opted for the multi focal lenses and she's done great.  Her vision is better than it's been in probably 30 years.  But going for the multi focal lenses meant that we had to pay for the extra cost out of pocket and it was not cheap!  We joke that she has bionic eyes now.  She's not a shooter so I can't address that question. 

I had right eye cataract, astigmatism, and a Mittendorf Dot surgery with Dr. Ming Wang in Nashville. Some good, some bad! Overall, I'm disappointed in the results. I can do 20/15 in his office. But, when looking through that right eye, it looks as though I'm looking through dirty or smudged glass. My right eye is my shooting eye. I'm also a pilot and have voluntarily kept myself grounded since the surgery, that was two years ago in January. I did not go with the "Forever Young" lens, as they were $5000 above insurance for each eye! With the complications, I'm still almost $4000 out of pocket expense on my right eye. I will not let him touch my left eye! I feel something went wrong on his end, and he's not making good on it. I have encountered others with the same story. He's supposed to be the best... but, it didn't turn out that way for me. Buyer beware...as they say!

So far I am pleased with the results in my left eye. My Dr has quit doing the multifocal lens implant. He said he has seen too many people not satisfied with them and gets quite a few new patients wanting to have them removed.

So far I am pleased with the results in my left eye. My Dr has quit doing the multifocal lens implant. He said he has seen too many people not satisfied with them and gets quite a few new patients wanting to have them removed.

I met a lady about a week ago that Dr Ming Wang had put the regular (single focal) in one eye, and the Forever Young (multi-focal) lens in the other! Talk about messing her head up...big time! She said he tried several times, but never got it right. Finally, she was too concerned to go back! Cost her big bucks, and she's now wearing glasses. Hope your doctor does a better job. I've heard lots of good stories from others that have had theirs done elsewhere. I'm considering going to Dr. Loden, to see if he can straighten out my right eye. If he can, he'll be the one doing the cataract surgery on my left eye.