AK question

jacob

So I am looking for another AK and spotted this on Bud's:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_756/products_id/75808?sort=high

I have heard some things about Century having some issues awhile back, but that they've had some changes in staffing in the last few years that have led to better quality QA.  I saw this was a milled receiver and figured maybe it would be a good deal for the money??  Any AK "experts" have an opinion??  Any better ideas??  Looking to spend no more than about 750-800 max...Thanks folks....

I've read some good reviews about them. Personally, I've had good luck with Century products, but I don't like the look of the rifle. No bayo lug, no provision for a cleaning rod, and all the tactical junk is a turn off to me. Have you seen the N-PAP or N-PAP underfolders? Better put together, by people in a factory that has been churning out AKs for decades. That's where I'd be putting my monies if I was you. Or you could buy mine I just listed!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zastava-n-pap-underfolder-detail.html?Itemid=0

Edited by austin7.62

They are fine but for the money your are talking about you can get a Vepr for $649, which is by far the nicest ask going or Centerfire had the Bulgarian pattern 47's with red wood for $610. Atlantic had QC checked Wasr's for a great price. I wouldn't by a Wasr (except for the Atlantic version) without actually seeing it. Too much chance of getting canted parts. They'll run but it's nice to start with a better quality Wasr from the beginning. 

Centerfirehttp://centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-IA-W.aspx

Atlantichttps://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

Classichttp://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/russian-vepr-7-62-x-39-semi-auto-rifletype1sights-118

Edited by Smith
  • Like 1
I forgot about the paps. Gray guns that are new manufactures. Not parts builds. Very nice guns. Their only drawback it's that they don't take standard furniture and aren't chrome lined. That being said the wood on the paps are very nice.

They are fine but for the money your are talking about you can get a Vepr for $649, which is by far the nicest ask going or Centerfire had the Bulgarian pattern 47's with red wood for $610. Atlantic had QC checked Wasr's for a great price. I wouldn't by a Wasr (except for the Atlantic version) without actually seeing it. Too much chance of getting canted parts. They'll run but it's nice to start with a better quality Wasr from the beginning. http://centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-IA-W.aspx http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/russian-vepr-7-62-x-39-semi-auto-rifletype1sights https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

links are broken...

so is there like a wiki for AKs?  I thought WASRs were supposed to not be all that great, I am guessing I am mistaken...I am a grasshopper that needs schooling...I am not looking to join the red army with this rifle, just be able to shoot a great, reliable gun for a decent price...

so is there like a wiki for AKs?  I thought WASRs were supposed to not be all that great, I am guessing I am mistaken...I am a grasshopper that needs schooling...I am not looking to join the red army with this rifle, just be able to shoot a great, reliable gun for a decent price...

Wiki for AK's? Close... Try www.akfiles.com

• Like 2

so is there like a wiki for AKs? I thought WASRs were supposed to not be all that great, I am guessing I am mistaken...I am a grasshopper that needs schooling...I am not looking to join the red army with this rifle, just be able to shoot a great, reliable gun for a decent price...

The main difference between a "good" AK and a "bad" is mainly aesthetic. The Wasr's are fine they just aren't flashy, but like all AK's they run. Century's bad rep came from the fact that they were taking single stack Romanian AK's and opening up the mag wells and they were very inconsistent. They also tended to put GB and front trunnion's on with a lot of cant. They learned pretty quickly and now contact out most of their work and qc is fine.

ok...I am not a gun snob by any means...just looking for a good AK I can beat up on...my wife wont let me shoot the Arsenal... (I know, I have to give up my man card)...

Well, see my post in your trading post thread?

I'm very pleased with my lowly WASR 10. I've even ordered it a sling, butt pad, and action buffer after running the first 100 through it yesterday. I might even tung oil the wood too; or not, seems to be picking up character just from oil and grunge from my hands already. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
OS, I did see that post. I spent a little time in between at work yesterday perusing info AK related trying to make heads or tails of a milled or stamped receiver, straight or slant cut back receiver, etc....I already have an Arsenal, but in all honesty that rifle was purchased because of brand recognition more than knowledge of the AK platforn itself... I did give the WASRs quite the look yesterday and will probably end up with one in the end...

Nothing wrong with any WASR I have seen.  Near as I could tell from when I researched it a few years ago to buy mine is that they had problems before 2010 or so, but since then they have not so many problems.

Seems those of us here who have them have had no troubles with that rifle.  Mine might be my best shooting milsurp type rifle. And that is saying something.

Guest Commander Kim

WHATEVER YOU DO....DO NOT BUY FROM BUD'S GUN SHOP!!!!!! I've had the worst possible service from them than from any other dealer. So bad, my local FFL won't even take orders from them. When I ordered from them, they had sent me the wrong gun, and over-charged my cred card a few thousand dollars. Afterward, I contacted them and all they did was call me a liar. It took a long time, after fighting with them, for me to get my money back. Don't do it.

As for the AK, just search https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles.html you'll find something you like. guaranteed.

[quote name="Commander Kim" post="1134683" timestamp="1396807490"]WHATEVER YOU DO....DO NOT BUY FROM BUD'S GUN SHOP!!!!!! I've had the worst possible service from them than from any other dealer. So bad, my local FFL won't even take orders from them. When I ordered from them, they had sent me the wrong gun, and over-charged my cred card a few thousand dollars. Afterward, I contacted them and all they did was call me a liar. It took a long time, after fighting with them, for me to get my money back. Don't do it. As for the AK, just search [url="https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles.html"]https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles.html[/url] you'll find something you like. guaranteed.[/quote] Funny, I've never had a bad experience, and I've ordered at least a handful from them. I actually plan on ordering something next week from them. Not discrediting your experience, just sharing mine

WHATEVER YOU DO....DO NOT BUY FROM BUD'S GUN SHOP!!!!!! I've had the worst possible service from them than from any other dealer. So bad, my local FFL won't even take orders from them. ...

Yeah, discovered my FFL wanted 50 clams instead of usual 25 to transfer from Bud's. Turns out that is mentioned on Bud's site for their service, but I missed it during checkout.

I had already done 4473 before they hit me with that -- I raised a bit of a huff, since had used them a number of times and also because it ain't mentioned on their (the FFL's website) and they relented to normal fee, but yeah, something to keep in mind.

I was always a bit leery from buying from Bud's from what I'd read here and there,but since this was just a low down WASR, I figgered as long as all the parts were actually on it it didn't much matter.

- OS

[quote name="Commander Kim" post="1134683" timestamp="1396807490"]WHATEVER YOU DO....DO NOT BUY FROM BUD'S GUN SHOP!!!!!! I've had the worst possible service from them than from any other dealer. So bad, my local FFL won't even take orders from them. When I ordered from them, they had sent me the wrong gun, and over-charged my cred card a few thousand dollars. Afterward, I contacted them and all they did was call me a liar. It took a long time, after fighting with them, for me to get my money back. Don't do it. As for the AK, just search [url="https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles.html"]https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles.html[/url] you'll find something you like. guaranteed.[/quote] I've done hundreds of buds guns transactions without issue. Sometimes they are a bit slow to ship, but very responsive to issues.

WHATEVER YOU DO....DO NOT BUY FROM BUD'S GUN SHOP!!!!!! I've had the worst possible service from them than from any other dealer. So bad, my local FFL won't even take orders from them. When I ordered from them, they had sent me the wrong gun, and over-charged my cred card a few thousand dollars. Afterward, I contacted them and all they did was call me a liar. It took a long time, after fighting with them, for me to get my money back. Don't do it.

As for the AK, just search https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles.html you'll find something you like. guaranteed.

I'm fairly sue they have new management now. I remember when I ordered my used Remington 870 from them, shipping was a little slow, but other than that my order was pretty good. Yeah, living in Clarksville, TN Gun Country I don't think takes them, but I have a friend with an FFL who transferred it for me. 

And now I think you just made me stray from my AR project to get another AK. lol

Yeah, discovered my FFL wanted 50 clams instead of usual 25 to transfer from Bud's. Turns out that is mentioned on Bud's site for their service, but I missed it during checkout.

I had already done 4473 before they hit me with that -- I raised a bit of a huff, since had used them a number of times and also because it ain't mentioned on their (the FFL's website) and they relented to normal fee, but yeah, something to keep in mind.

I was always a bit leery from buying from Bud's from what I'd read here and there,but since this was just a low down WASR, I figgered as long as all the parts were actually on it it didn't much matter.

- OS

I am a member over on fflonly forum. Several FFL's on there charge extra for orders from Buds. Not because it is anymore trouble to deal with Buds, but because they do not like Buds pricing many of their firearms at close to dealer cost. Buds is hurting the stocking dealers profits and they are trying to get some of that money back.

I am a member over on fflonly forum. Several FFL's on there charge extra for orders from Buds. Not because it is anymore trouble to deal with Buds, but because they do not like Buds pricing many of their firearms at close to dealer cost. Buds is hurting the stocking dealers profits and they are trying to get some of that money back.

Mine only said as justification that they had so many shipments that had to be sent back. If they had simply put that info on their own website, which states $25 for any transfer, I would have paid it knowing about it beforehand, or actually probably looked for someone else.

But your reason might be the real one.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="Eray" post="1134885" timestamp="1396834052"]I am a member over on fflonly forum. Several FFL's on there charge extra for orders from Buds. Not because it is anymore trouble to deal with Buds, but because they do not like Buds pricing many of their firearms at close to dealer cost. Buds is hurting the stocking dealers profits and they are trying to get some of that money back.[/quote] I can see this being true. I had a similar conversation with my FFL that happens to be a pretty good friend. He didn't exactly say those words, but he didn't exactly have the warm and fuzzies for them (Bud's) either. But, knowing I have bought from them several times and he always does the transfer, he wouldn't say anything negative about them

Bud's is the Walmart of the gun shop world. Nearly no brick and mortar can compete on straight price once you factor tax. The shear volume they do is unbelievable. That being said most stores can get close but tax kills the local store and IMO, that is a tremendous injustice. No ones fault on that, just the way it is, since no one pays the sales tax on internet sales that they are supposed to. If they did Bud's would not be what they are.  It also takes a near perfect marketing, purchasing, shipping, and sales strategy to make it work which is why it is hard for other stores to duplicate. 

To dispel a myth, transfers do not drive other sales for the local store compared to a straight gun sale. In fact most people use the local store to "shop", handle, compare, question, and research a gun before they go out and buy it online. Once all that is done, it's not a matter of quick transfer money for little work. It's all the same work to loose half of what they would have made on a straight sale because it was transferred and not bought in store. Now half is better than nothing and some things they just can't get. That is why they do it . Just a thought for perspective on why some gun stores don't get all warm and fuzzy when they do transfers, especially from Bud's.

Edited by Smith
  • Like 2