Any Air Gunners on Here?

I WANT to like air guns.  I really do.  I have several (maybe I'll get pics up, eventually.)  One is a large 'revolver' model that is CO2 powered.  One is a 1911 replica, also CO2 powered (and, honestly, I couldn't even tell you exactly where that one is at the moment.)  One is a 'Pumpmaster' bolt action, pump pellet pistol that was given to me a couple of years ago.  I also have a pump bb/pellet rifle (can't remember the exact model at the moment.)  I say that to exemplify that I own and have tried a range of air guns.  Like I said, I really WANT to like them.  Sadly, as much as I want to like them I can't escape one, simple fact - after five or six shots I find them extremely, terribly boring.  Apparently - for me - part of the lure of firearms is the bang, flash and gunpowder smell.  It doesn't have to be a big boomer - I enjoy shooting .22LR a lot - but I, apparently, do need at least a small amount of the sound and fury in order to hold my attention and help me enjoy shooting.  Air guns that require shooting a single shot and then reloading, pumping, etc. before being able to shoot again are especially bad at holding my interest.  When shooting guns that use gunpowder launched projectiles, I am not a person who often just does mag dumps and can enjoy a single shot rifle, shotgun or pistol.  Combining the single shot with all the rigmarole of setting up for the next one, though, becomes dull in a hurry, for me.  It is kind of the same reason why I am not a bigger fan of powder-based muzzle loaders.  Too much involved and too much lag time between each shot.

As a last ditch attempt, I might pick up a Crosman 1077 repeater.  It is an air rifle that uses CO2 cartridges and has a 12 shot rotary magazine.  As I said, I am not generally prone to mag dumps but it would be nice to be able to have an air gun with decent velocity (the 1911 replica is a semiauto but isn't very powerful) without having to work my arm to death and take a minute or two between shots.  We'll see, if I decide to get one.

JAB, There's been times when I felt the same way. But, with the cost...and supply, of ammo working against us these days, a single shot makes the ammo last longer! Like you, I have some guns that can burn up $30 worth of ammo in a few seconds, and they're exciting and fun...until I have to replace the ammo. I sort of look at them as being on a champagne budget. Now the single shot guns, and cheaper operating single shot pellet guns, put me back on a beer budget...which I can afford to shoot more on. No doubt, reloading helps in this matter.

This past summer I offered my AR-15 and about four thirty round of mags...at least they had gone through four mags before I got it back! Let's see at a minimum of fifty cents a round,  and four times thirty rounds...comes to about 120 rounds. That's $60 worth of ammo in very short order! Guess they thought you were supposed to empty and 30 round mag in an AR, before cease firing. Next time, I'll take some of my 5 round mags! Or, I'll show up with pellet guns!

• 1 year later...
Bump

Anyone bought anything new lately in the pellet gun category?

I'm shopping for a suppressed pellet rifle in .22.
These damn squirrels have learned not to walk into my traps or they've learned to find their way back from my release site about 4 miles away.

Back in the England I was a very ardent airgun hunter.
This was my absolute pride & joy....
410002.jpg410001.jpg

An Air Arms s410 in a hugely expensive custom stock. I had the trigger lightened to 1.25lb, the valve timing altered to less than 18mSec. Fitted a solid brass bolt, Weirauch silencer & Hawke Optics 6-24x50 scope. It was limited (by law) to 12 ft/lb of muzzle energy, so velocity was only 544fps. My best grouping was with Bisley Magnum 18gn pellets & was under 0.125" at 50yds.
I dumped so much money into that gun it's not even funny. I want to say that between the rifle & charging gear I had in excess of 3 grand invested.

• Like 1

I'm not going to spend that kind of money just yet. Those above are very nice  :up:

I bought a Stoeger X20s in .22cal. off Amazon last night after web shopping and reviews most of the day. Hopefully it will satisfy me.

It comes with a cheap scope so I'll probably upgrade that and of course there's a trigger upgrade too that I'll have to get.  :surrender:

I read where I should buy a specific scope for a pellet gun, meaning a regular rifle scope wouldn't hold up(?),  which doesn't make much sense to me. Surely the recoil of a pellet gun can't be any worse on a scope than a rimfire .22/rifle scope? Am I missing something here?  :shrug: 

Depends. In a spring powered air rifle the recoil impulse is way worse than most center fire rifles. Not the felt recoil, but the vibration throughout the gun itself. You have recoil in 2 directions because.....physics. Or something.

I do know that a .22, 9lb springer can destroy a $600 Leopold in less than 50 shots. I don't want to talk about how I know that.

If you can find an airgun specific scope (mostly & oddly, cheap crap) it'll serve you very, very well. If not, go with something cheap & nasty. Barska, Centerpoint, Tasco or Simmons will all hold up better than top of the line gear. Reason being, everything inside them is coursely made, overbuilt & wildly inconsistent. Don't expect repeatable adjustments.
  • Like 1