What is it. Six long slow months till season 5???

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still like the show but with all the 'filler' they have foisted on us in the last, couple of seasons I think spin-offs would just water down the concept so much that neither show would last much longer.

Of course, you know what might make a really weird spin-off?  A show, set in the year or two before the zombie apocalypse, featuring the members of a small town sheriff's department somewhere in the American South investigating crimes and busting bad guys.  I'm not talking 'Mayberry', here but rather a serious show about LEO in a rural, bedroom community that periodically suffers the splash over of crime from nearby, larger cities.  The spinoff would feature Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes and Jon Bernthal as Shane Walsh, two key members of the aforementioned Sheriff's department, as they and their team work to enforce the law.

There would be no supernatural or otherwise 'odd' element to the series - remember that Kirkman has said that even zombie movies, lore etc. didn't exist in the pre-outbreak world of The Walking Dead.  In my thinking, it would be partly a straight up cop drama, including elements of a police procedural, with some delving into the character's personal lives, including Rick's relationships with his wife, Lori and his son, Carl  as well as Shane's growing dissatisfaction with his life as a bachelor jumping from one failed relationship to the next and partly an exploration of the small town where they live and the other residents (and interesting characters) who live there.  We might even see Shane starting to quietly have a bit of a personal breakdown/crisis of faith until his friend's shooting leads to him pulling himself together to help lend emotional support to Rick's family (foreshadowing him being the one to get Lori and Carl out after the outbreak and also foreshadowing Shane's eventual descent into darkness and insanity.)  The series would be planned for a limited run of only a season or two and the series finale would feature Rick getting shot and waking up in a hospital in a world gone to hell.  I love the idea of the series ending with such a wrenching tangent to give the viewer a small taste of what it would have been like for Rick.

I think such a show, if well written, could be interesting in its own right as a police drama (even though there are far too many of those these days) within a slice-of-life type show.  It would also be interesting to see some of the "Walking Dead" characters in a completely different light and show how they were just 'normal people' before the zombie apocalypse forced them to be something else.  Some fans of "The Walking Dead" would hate it, I expect but I think others would appreciate it.

Yeah, I know - sometimes I let my imagination get away from me.

Edited by JAB

At least Game of Thrones starts Sunday.

Walking Dead season 3 was miserable to me so I stopped watching.  I have heard this season has been fantastic but I'm still mad at last season.  Doubt I'll give it another chance. 

I let go after season 1. It got too predictable in its unpredictability. I can't be shocked if I'm waiting for something shocking to happen the whole time.

Plus I just didn't connect with any of the characters.

I feel for you guys waiting though, it's hard to watch reruns for 6 months waiting for closure. :)
Guest Lester Weevils

Growing progressively similar to the Planet of the Apes TV series. How long until they make an episode featuring a daring last minute escape from the zombies via primitive home-made hang gliders (after having burned up the first 55 minutes with doubled-up commercials, soap opera dialog, and footage of depressed unkempt armed vagabonds strolling in the woods)? Then there was the Space 1999 series, which had good special FX for the time, but was so slow-moving that by contrast drying paint becomes exciting action. :)

Edited by Lester Weevils

My wife, who says that "All Zombie shows are stupid", got sucked into the series this season. She would never watch it, but then sat down in the living room to read a book while I was watching an episode, and is now hooked. She wants to go back to the beginning and watch all of them from the start. I guess that's what I'll do until season 5 starts.

The spinoff would feature Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes and Jon Bernthal as Shane Walsh, two key members of the aforementioned Sheriff's department, as they and their team work to enforce the law.

That would mean Lori would be back.

350x700px-LL-3aee8e05_luke-skywalker-noo

That would mean Lori would be back.

350x700px-LL-3aee8e05_luke-skywalker-noo

Yep.  Thing is, though, I would see it as a chance to 'redeem' the character or at least explain some of her actions.  Were I writing it, the show would make clear that Rick and Lori's marriage was already strained near breaking before the dead started feasting on the living but she would still be faithful to Rick and would be very much the devoted wife when he gets shot and is in the hospital, etc.

Lori was annoying, at times, but I didn't hate her the way many people did.  Remember, she was just an average person, a wife and mom, whose whole life was turned upside down not once but twice within a very short time (Rick getting shot was the first and the zombie apocalypse the second.)  In her grief and fear, she turned to someone she thought she could trust (remember, too, that Shane had told her that Rick was certainly dead - she didn't know she was cheating on him) and then what she thought she knew was turned upside down a third time when her 'dead' husband showed up very much alive and she realized that the one person she thought she could trust in that screwed up world (Shane) had lied to her about something pretty damned important and had slept with her knowing that Rick was still alive when they left town and might still be alive.  If she had slipped around with Shane after Rick came back then I would have lost all respect for the character but she did not and very pointedly shut Shane down any time he tried to go there.

Some folks think she was a queen B because, as they see it, she basically told Rick he was probably going to have to kill Shane (remember that Shane had very nearly raped her while they were at the CDC) and then she got mad at Rick when he did.  I didn't see it that way.  Instead, to me, it seemed that Lori accepted that Shane was dead and was upset that Rick had (in her view) put Carl in a position where Carl had to shoot zombie Shane..  She knew how Carl felt about Shane and probably feared what having to shoot Shane (even zombie Shane) would do to him.  Remember, also, that despite all the crap that Shane had done, Lori still knew that there was at least the possibility that he was the father of her child and, no matter what else he did, he was the guy who got her and her son out and had kept them safe until Rick found them.  It would be understandable if she were conflicted by hearing that he had been killed.  Remember, as well, that in telling Lori that Shane came back Rick also told her that the living were already infected, that everyone would come back upon death if not dealt with and that Rick had known that for a long time (since the CDC, meaning their entire time on Herschel's farm) and had kept it a secret. That was a lot to dump on someone all at once.  "Shane's dead.  I killed him and our little boy who kind of idolized him shot him when he came back.  Oh, and by the way, we're all already infected which means that if you lose the baby it is going to turn into a zombie inside you and eat its way out.  I've known that for a few months but figured I'd just keep it to myself.  No reason you should have known that when trying to decide whether you should keep the baby or not at the very beginning."   Lori wasn't the only one in the group that was a little pissed about Rick having not told them the truth despite having known it since they fled the CDC.

I also think that some folks didn't notice or maybe forgot how Rick was acting toward Lori that whole time.  He seemed to have more or less forgiven Shane (who had lied and told Lori he was dead) but was being kind of a douche toward Lori.  One minute he would act like he understood and forgave her and then the next minute he acted like he almost couldn't stand the sight of her and blamed her because his best friend lied to her, told her he was dead and took advantage of her and their situation to get her into bed.  Sure, Lori wasn't blameless in the whole thing but Rick was just as bad and Shane was really the one who was ultimately at fault.  Honestly, unlike some, I pretty much hated Shane even before he went off the deep end because he lied about Rick for sure being dead and manipulated Lori and Carl in an attempt to take over his supposed best friend's family.

I do think the Lori character was much more likeable and understandable in the comic.  Maybe that is why I didn't despise the television version of her.

Edited by JAB

Get her into Adrian's Undead Diaries. If she likes to read, this is one of the better zombie stories I've read. And it will lead to some other online good stuff.

BTW...the full story is now available from Amazon.

Edited by hipower

I can't wait until that brat Carl gets bit, and I'll continue watching until he does!

Or Mishone destroys her Katana sword shaving her under arms, whichever comes first.

The Zombies are the only ones that are consistent, know what they want and don't flip back and forth. Go Zombies!

I won't mention the zombies have better hygiene than Rick either... Or the Governor was a good boy at heart, raised by his mother, and was just turning his life around when he was brutally taken away.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, based on the woman grilling meat for everyone and the candles, that Terminus is a cannibalistic society and the railroad car is the meat locker?

Edited by Dennis1209

I don't have cable or tv service so I've seen very little of the latest season, and I can't wait for it to be available on Netflix. We ended up watching the first 3 seasons in just a couple weeks :)