Class of 57 v. Class of 2013

Yes.

Scenario                 1:
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack..
1957 -
Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2013 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.   

Scenario                 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1957 -
Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2013 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark.  They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.  They are also required to attend six weeks of anger management therapy.

Scenario                 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1957 -
Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.                
2013 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability. 

Scenario                 4:
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.                
1957 -
Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.. 
2013 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse, Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.

Scenario                 5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1957 -
Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.
2013 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.                 

Scenario                 6:
Pedro fails high school English.
1957 -
Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
2013 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot read & write English.                 

Scenario                 7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
1957 - Ants die.
2013 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism.  The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated.

Scenario                 8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee.  He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.                
2013 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy. 

• Like 10

Yes.

Scenario                 1:
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack..
1957 -
Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2013 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.   

Scenario                 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1957 -
Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2013 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark.  They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.  They are also required to attend six weeks of anger management therapy.

Scenario                 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1957 -
Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.                
2013 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability. 

Scenario                 4:
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.                
1957 -
Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.. 
2013 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse, Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.

Scenario                 5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1957 -
Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.
2013 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.                 

Scenario                 6:
Pedro fails high school English.
1957 -
Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
2013 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot read & write English.                 

Scenario                 7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
1957 - Ants die.
2013 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism.  The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated.

Scenario                 8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee.  He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.                
2013 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy. 

Attending school now - this (sadly) hits the nail on the head...

1957, nothing - the first outcome of each of those scenarios would have still held true when I graduated High School in 1989 except it would have been our Geometry teacher - who had a hook in place of one hand - and not the vice principal who would have wanted to compare shotguns.  Come to think of it, though, I believe that Geometry teacher became the assistant principal some time after I graduated.

Edited by JAB
Guest PapaB

Them quail Jack shot in Scenario 1 aren't gonna be fit to eat by the time he gets home after school...just saying.

Sure they will. In 1957 the girls in home-ec class would have cleaned, prepped and refrigerated them so Jack's family could enjoy them that night.

Heck I graduated in 1967 and every pickup in student parking lot had guns in gun racks in back windows and trucks not even locked. Mine included. That was the norm back then also. I didn't hunt before school but sure did after school................jmho

Heck I graduated in 1967 and every pickup in student parking lot had guns in gun racks in back windows and trucks not even locked. Mine included. That was the norm back then also. I didn't hunt before school but sure did after school................jmho

Yep I graduated in 94 and we had guns on racks. It was cookeville so maybe we were a bit behind the times.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Lester Weevils

Please explain why you say he doesn't know what he's talking about? Thanks.

It is extreme rose colored glasses syndrome. Paddling may have encouraged less disruptive better disciplined classrooms, but it wasn't a one shot cure and for quite a few didn't work hardly at all. There were plenty of disruptive disorderly students who stayed thataway in spite of repeated routine paddle treatments. Some students were immune to the paddle treatment.

An interesting recollection, after the sputnik spurred schools to go to a track system with advanced, average, and slow classes-- The advanced classes tended to be the most disorderly. The average and slow tracks tended to be easier to control than the advanced classes. Which may indeed be a knock on the current situation, that nowadays the common drugging of the hyperactive may be a tragedy. The kids in the advanced classes seemed on average the worst hellions and surely trying on teachers' nerves. Mostly the boys of course.

It is extreme rose colored glasses syndrome.

That's really the whole article though. One could probably come up with just as many examples where the class of 2013 shines and the class of 57 look like chowder heads too.

I guess it's more fun to look back at the perfection that was society back in the day than it is to acknowledge the worth of the future.
  • Like 2

That's really the whole article though. One could probably come up with just as many examples where the class of 2013 shines and the class of 57 look like chowder heads too.

I guess it's more fun to look back at the perfection that was society back in the day than it is to acknowledge the worth of the future.

Sadly, I believe you have nailed the truth.
Guest Lowbuster

1957, nothing - the first outcome of each of those scenarios would have still held true when I graduated High School in 1989 except it would have been our Geometry teacher - who had a hook in place of one hand - and not the vice principal who would have wanted to compare shotguns. Come to think of it, though, I believe that Geometry teacher became the assistant principal some time after I graduated.

This is true, I graduated 1989 and all this was true then.
Things are progressing so fast today that when my teen is our age this world won't be fit to live in. That's why I teach her all I can.

I remember clearly in 1st grade trading pocket knives on the playground.  In fact got in trouble for having my knife collection out on my desk in class one day, teacher said to put them away or play with them at recess.  Geeze times have changed thank what would happen today!

Even nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

A friend and I got called into the deputy-head's office one time on an unrelated issue. He thought we would have evidence of our wrong-doings in our bags (which would have made no sense but whatever). What we did have were 6" knives we had brought in to compare. We were just told not to bring them in again and that was that.

I guess if nothing else, it brought discussion of the wrong-doings themselves to an end (of which we were totally guilty). :D

• Like 2

scenario 1 was still a reality in the 1990's, rifles during deer season and shotguns during turkey season... not a single car was ever broken into and we never once worried about someone shooting up a school.

• Like 1