Today's Walmart Haul

20140330_083245.jpg

Not bad for $38.50.     Price on the Gold Bullets was $11.27    That's .05 per round.  I was never a fan of the old GB's and I'm hoping they really are "New and improved.  My local WM has removed the 3 box limit on everything but .22.    The girl behind the counter tells me the hoarders and re-sellers are becoming less.

• Like 4

20140330_083245.jpg

Not bad for $38.50.     Price on the Gold Bullets was $11.27    That's .05 per round.  I was never a fan of the old GB's and I'm hoping they really are "New and improved.  My local WM has removed the 3 box limit on everything but .22.    The girl behind the counter tells me the hoarders and re-sellers are becoming less.

Good to see :up:

Went to my Antioch Wally today... no dice on the 22 today. I was, however, gunna go ahead and buy some .270 and .40. As I was pointing out to the clerk what I wanted to buy, he said I could only get one box of ammo. I said "one box, of 22, right? You don't have any 22, so I can get regular stuff, right?" which has been the case for awhile at Wally. He said "No. Just one box of ammo per person, no matter the caliber. It was on our conference call last night."

I politely told him to go ahead and hold onto that box of .40 and left. Academy had the Monarch brass in stock for less anyway. I was just dumb enough to keep going to Wally before. I quit now. Academy had better pricing on their .223 as well.

I can't say personally, but from what I've read the "new and improved" is a bunch of hooey. Still a good score, happy for you

All I know is that, right after the 'new and improved' stuff came out and right before all the ammo dried up, I bought a couple of boxes of the 'improved' Golden Bullet loads at Wally.  I decided to test the claim so I took one of the new boxes, a partial bulk box of the pre-improved Golden Bullets and a couple of .22 firearms out in the back yard and fired off a few full cylinders/magazines of each from each firearm.  Based on that limited comparison, I believe Remington's claim.  The reports from the pre-improved stuff varied, sometimes quite a bit, as Remington Golden Bullets usually did while the reports from the 'improved' stuff were much more consistent.  Also, accuracy out of my guns - especially handguns - with the old Golden Bullets was pretty bad.  Federal has usually been the best, of the bulk packs, from my guns but Winchester wasn't bad.  The pre-improved Golden Bullets were just as bad as ever but the new, improved stuff was just about as accurate as Winchester bulk ammo normally is from my guns - i.e., much more accurate even at short range than the old Golden Bullets were.

When I was getting them over a year ago, they where new and improved then as well

I also had some about a year before that that didn't have that on them.

I do believe I had less miss fires.  Also I believe they had a few more feet per sec as well.

Also the lead on the end is looser, spins easy in your hand. 

Stabilize what availability? I've been buying pretty much anything I want in a short amount of time for months now. It might take a trip to two retailers in a day, but short of 22 you're likely to find what you want. The shelves at this Wally were overflowing with ammo... cheap 9, 40, 45, 32, 38, 223, 308, 243, ... only regular handgun stuff I didn't see today was 357 and 380.

It sounds like they hired away one of the management morons from my place of employ. So disconnected from the real operations that when they FINALLY become aware of a problem (in this case, 22 shortage) they go with a complete kneejerk reaction and screw up the entire thing, rather than make a small policy modification to address a specific problem. Am I wrong about this?

Stabilize what availability? I've been buying pretty much anything I want in a short amount of time for months now. It might take a trip to two retailers in a day, but short of 22 you're likely to find what you want. The shelves at this Wally were overflowing with ammo... cheap 9, 40, 45, 32, 38, 223, 308, 243, ... only regular handgun stuff I didn't see today was 357 and 380.

It sounds like they hired away one of the management morons from my place of employ. So disconnected from the real operations that when they FINALLY become aware of a problem (in this case, 22 shortage) they go with a complete kneejerk reaction and screw up the entire thing, rather than make a small policy modification to address a specific problem. Am I wrong about this?

You're a lucky guy then.

My Wally World is nothing like that.  A few boxes of 5.56, 7.62x39, and some other random calibers.

Plenty of birdshot, though.

The resellers are there in force every morning at 7am.

Walmart restricting to one box per person? I can see the ammo bitches begging for a revolving door....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Buy ammo, go to clothing section, put on hat, different colored sweater, buy more ammo, discard clothing on way back to clothing section, rinse, repeat...

Do you ever make it up to cool springs/brentwood? I visit those WalMarts and Academy about 2x a month... same stories there... just about anything you want except 22.

I must be unlucky. Every time I go into the Cool Springs Walmart, the shelves are bare. I gave up looking a long time ago (though I'll do a walk-by if I happen to be there).

Edited by tnguy

Just left the Walmart by 100 Oaks Mall and they had 10 bricks on the shelf. An officer ahead of me bought 6 and I bought 1.......then once I got to the truck realized that was stupid and went back for the other three. A lady also brought a cardboard box from the back for him which I believe was more .22 ammo. They may have more in the back. They had plenty of everything else as well with no limit on amount that they mentioned. It's possible that since I saw the officer buying so much they had to let me do it as well. If you need 9mm or any other handgun caliber they had it. May be worth a shot for the .22 as well.