Super 14" .30-30 Barrel on Early Contender...Won't Cock

I recently bought a .30-30 Super 14 barrel, with front and rear sights, that looks brand new. I put it on my early model Contender frame, and when I pull the hammer back, it won't always cock or stay cocked. I've re-opened the barrel several times, and even slammed it shut a time or two, but it didn't help.

I will not do any modifications to the barrel, for fear of screwing it up, as I'm thinking this barrel may be for the later model Contender G2 or Encore. What do you guys think?

If... this barrel is for a G2 or Encore, are there any markings on the barrel that will identify it as such? How can a person tell the difference from a Super 14 barrel designed for an early model Contender, and a Super 14 barrel designed for the G2 or Encore? If this barrel is designed for a later model Contender, I'll just trade it for something else that will fit my older Contender.

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sidewinder, sounds like the locking lugs are not going in far enough to activate the action. Try the "Sharpie" method to see how it is engaging. More than likely, just a little buffing on the top of the locking lug will let it slide under and push the actuator.

Check out this thread on Greybeard:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/thompson-center-handguns-sponsored-by-ed%27s-tcs/contender-barrel-on-g2-frame-includes-locking-bolt-issues-and-fixes/

With the barrel off the frame, look inside the frame below the firing pin hole and you will see what it has to push to make it all work.

If all else fails, our friend Grady is an old Contender guy.

Here is another option. Take the locking lugs off a barrel that works every time and put them on the 30-30 and see if that corrects the problem. If so just stone your non-working lugs till they fit. Use the Sharpie to check your progress.

Hope you get it working as the 30-30 should be a great shooter, especially with cast boolits. :up:

Is this empty or with a shell chambered? If chambered, Is it reloads or factory ammo?

I have had exactly the same problem on two Encores.  Both times, it was related to my reloaded brass not being sized perfectly right for the T/C chamber - usually on minimum end of SAAMI specs   (in my case, a small-base die corrected the problem).

Westwind Mike, Thanks for the advice. It sounds like you you may have nailed the problem. I'll check out the Greybeard link too. I figured it had to be something simple.

R_Bert, It's doing it on an empty chamber. I'm not real keen on monkeying around with a loaded chamber inside the house...especially one that the hammer may fall at any minute! It acts like it tries to catch...but, I can feel it slip off. I'm thinking WestwindMike might be on the right trail.

Seez52, It has the single piece lug on this .30-30 barrel. The 7-30 Waters barrel that I bought at the same time, has the split lug and it works just fine.

For Everybody...I'm still wondering how the later G2 and Encore barrels can be identified. Let's say there are two identical barrels laying there on the table, one for the early model Contender, and one for the later G2 and Encore...how would a person be able to tell the difference? Are they marked in any way, or do you just have to mount them on the early Contender frame to see if they work? Thanks to all three of you for your help.