Dear Bass Pro Shops,

YOU......SUCK!

There, thats feels better.  My love affair with you started with my love of fishing back when I was around 10.  Then Bass Pro awed me for life when I visited their Branson Missouri store.  It was absolute heaven!  At such a young age I was very impressionable and you took fool (not a misspelling) advantage of me.   When I got to college and had to write about anything I wanted to for English 101, I chose you, Bass Pro Shops!  But alas, over the years our relationship has taken a turn for the worse.  You have failed to keep up your end of the relationship.  I used to be ok paying your inflated prices (around 10% or so) over your competitors because of the additional value you provide.  Now paying that extra 10% seems more like a tax than anything else. 

So why do you suck so hard?  Glad you asked!  I worked retail management for 2 years of my professional career and in my young career I quickly learned that if I did not have product I was going to be held accountable.  If we were going to have a sale, I better stock up ahead of time and if I was going to make a promise...I better keep it.  

Last year you had some deer stands on sale.  In fact, you advertised this sale both in your circular as well as website and in store.  I bet you knew months ahead of time that you would be having this sale but when I went in to buy said deer stand...yall were out.  When I asked how many yall sold before I got there, you said 2.   :squint:   So this sale lasts another week...can I get a raincheck?  No you say. Can you transfer one from another store? "If they have some in stock, maybe". Not really making me feel like a valued customer here but an inconvenience!  

Last year, one of your customers (not sales associate) sold me on some blunt tips for my bow and arrow.  I was so excited to try these out until I realize that yet again...you have dropped the ball.  You were out of stock (not surprising) on the 100gr blunt tips.  It just so happened that one of your patrons placed some 125gr in place of the 100gr blunt tips.  No problem, I understand you can miss scanning something that is out of stock due to someone else covering it up.  So like the good friend I am, I re-arranged the items to reflect you were indeed out of stock on the 100gr tips.   1 week later (and 2 truck deliveries) you are still out of stock and there is no sticker that says you noticed you were out of stock and had ordered some and when I can expect it.  2 weeks later and 2 additional truck deliveries, no blunt tips and no stick.  3 weeks later and 2 more truck deliveries, no blunt tips and no sticker.  4 weeks later and 2 more truck deliveries, no blunt tips and no sticker.  5 weeks later, bow season has long passed, no blunt tips BUT you had the sticker!  Thank you so much for your attention to detail!  The sticker then read, which I understand is not likely your fault, that they wont be delivered for another few weeks.    

Fast forward to this year.  I thought about writing you a letter to let you know when turkey season would be here and to let you know, that you can expect increased sales in certain items.  You know, the last 3 years I have gone to buy new calls and such, not only to find them out of stock, but never back in stock until after the season...blunt tips ringing a bell?

So by my estimates, you are currently out of stock on approximately 35% of your mouth calls.  

Did you forget this happened last year?  Did you not know turkey season was coming up?  Are these items perishable and therefore you cannot overstock yourself prior to the season? Did the season just sneak up on you too fast? 

So yesterday, I want to go buy some turkey shells.  Hmmm, I bet myself $20 that you are out of stock on what I want!  Well the good news is I am $20 richer now because you are PREDICTIVELY AND CONSISTENTLY OUT OF STOCK ON THE ITEMS I WANT!

I have tried and tried to love you again...But alas, you have proven that the only turkey out there, is you.  Good riddance.  

• Like 2
Guest TresOsos

I had a similar experience last year with a Deer Feeder that was suppose to be on sale.

Advertised in their mailer a week or two in advance. Get to the store day of sale, they didn't

have any, weren't going to get any.

Found an almost identical feeder at Academy Sports in stock and cheaper than Bass Pro's

advertised sales price......lucky me.

About all I buy at Bass pro anymore is T-shirts (without their logo I might add.)

Edited by TresOsos

Buddy of mine ordered some .30 .30 bullets from Basspro. They were showing in stock. Instead they sent him a lead tip spire point with a note telling him they were out of stock and they thought he could just use the spire point instead. Geniuses.

I usually just go to bass pro to kill time and wander around while the wife is doing something else. Their prices are usually too high for my liking, but I guess they have to pay for the big fish tank and all the mounts some how.
  • Like 1

I usually just go to bass pro to kill time and wander around while the wife is doing something else. Their prices are usually too high for my liking, but I guess they have to pay for the big fish tank and all the mounts some how.

Yep.  I honestly haven't been in Bass Pro in years.  Last one I visited was killing time on a business trip to Cincinnati.  The only one around here is much too far away to warrant a trip just for that.  Cabela's makes Bass Pro look like a Dollar General.  Academy has better prices on everything.  Meh.

The constantly out of stock issue is proof positive that the bean counters run the show.  They don't understand the concept of sales lost due to lack of stuff to sell.  They just mumble unintelligible things about aged inventory and turns. 

Edited by peejman

the last time i was in one of their shop was last fall at north myrtle beach.  i don't normally go into their stores because of the high prices.  nothing has changed, they still got high prices.  everything they sale i get get at other places at a lower price.  but it is a place to "kick the tires" and buy elsewhere. 

I thought they just hated me.  I gave up on them a few years ago.  Used to keep up with the points, receive their gift cards as presents.

Similar stories as everyone else.

The final straw was when they were having a sale on .223 ball ammo (forget which brand UMC, Winchester white box, or similar).  This wasn't during a panic or run on ammo.  I would guess that the shelf had well over 100 boxes when I was shopping.  I had I wanted to buy 10 boxes (200 rounds total).  At checkout, the cashier says the limit is 2 boxes (40 rounds).  I pull out the sales flyer and there's no limit mentioned.  I ask to talk w/ a manager and he says the same thing - I can only have 2 boxes. 

I just walked out and haven't been back since.  There are a lot of other places to shop.

I go there to waste time, about it. I do occasionally buy something but that is the exception not the rule.

I hope that letter has been sent to them and not just posted here. Post it on social media too, surprising how often a Facebook post can get a response and action taken.

I can't remember exactly when the BPS opened in Opry Mills but I know it has been a long time. I live in Gallatin which is about 35 minutes away. Since the store opened I have been in it twice. I didn't drive but rode with a buddy that was going down there for something. Both times I bought the same thing. They had my outboard motor oil on sale and had plenty in stock so I stocked up for the next 2 years on oil and also got about 5 bags of Circus Peanuts which I dearly love. To just go there on my own in my vehicle will never happen. For some reason I have to drive right past an Academy Sports Store and for some strange reason my Jeep just automatically turns into Academy's parking lot and I never see BPS..................jmho