Why we own guns statistics??

Guest AgentWilliam

Guest AgentWilliam

I am curious if anyone has any statistics that show the positives of owning guns. For example, if you have a gun in your night stand if there is a robbery you are 75% less likely to die. That is not a real one but if anyone knows some let me know.....Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact: You are far more likely to survive a violent assault if you defend yourself with a gun. In episodes where a robbery victim was injured, the injury/defense rates were:<119>

Resisting with a gun 6%

Did nothing at all 25%

Resisted with a knife 40%

Non-violent resistance 45%

<119>British Home Office – not a “pro-gun” organization by any means

http://gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/5.0/GunFacts5-0-screen.pdf

Gunfacts FTW. You can just show it to them, either the page or printing it out.

The difficulty is you can't prove or disprove a negative. In other words you can't assume an armed persons confrontation with an intruder would have led to a one sided aggressive/deadly encounter. Most gun owners encounters are uneventful (we argue due to being armed) and so never become a statistic. Most of gun owner stats come from the places where gun ownership is restricted and violent crime rises in parallel stats.

Guest DylisTN

This is a must read book. Stats are allways dry and hard to read. This book is too. But read between the Stats. Then go back and read the Stats.

Lott makes the case that ccw is the best crime fighting for tax dollars. I.e. no tax dollars and very effective crime reduction.

And if you read this book, when you see the media bash it, you'll know that they are bs-ing. Rock solid proof that armed citizens reduce crime. And there is no bloodbath, from guns in the home.

Some of the best gun stats I've ever read were done by John Lott. Google him. I think you'll like what you read.
Guest unreconstructed1

you are 90% more likely to wish you had a gun to defend yourself with in the event of a violent criminal attack than you are to wish that you'd left it at home in the same violent attack.

a gun is 99% more effective in a holster at your side than it is sitting in a shelf at the gun shop

also, a criminal that is killed while in the commission of a violent crime is 99.997 % more likely never to repeat the offense at a later date...

no, they're not a "certified" statistic, but it makes sense when you think about it...

Edited by unreconstructed1
, a criminal that is killed while in the commission of a violent crime is 99.997 % more likely never to repeat the offense at a later date...

I think this one might be alittle higher but I dont know for sure