Hearing protection

Guest Revelator

Guest canynracer
The weird thing about the electronics, and those for sure (because I have them and have personal experience with them) is the amplification that you get. You can here people across the room talking that normally you wouldn't. It's pretty neat.

+1.....and if your turn them all the way up....its creepy, you can hear yourself breathe...

but they are great. I love mine.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weird thing about the electronics, and those for sure (because I have them and have personal experience with them) is the amplification that you get. You can here people across the room talking that normally you wouldn't. It's pretty neat.

I have some from another brand.

The only problem I dont like is the constant off/on you get when shooting

Guest Verbal Kint
I have some from another brand.

The only problem I dont like is the constant off/on you get when shooting

Which brand do you have? Not knocking yours by any means, but I've heard that the lower price models/brands "suffer" from the cutting in and out (due to the electronics they use and low timing rates or something) and the higher-end, more expensive models, usually do not cut in and out like that... pretty much a real time / no lag setup. Confirm / deny?

This is based on past research. I've yet to buy any electronic muffs, due to pricing of the higher models. I know it's not an area to skimp on, so I plan to buy the best I can, but just haven't had the spare change laying around to spend $300-400 each on a couple pairs. Just using foamies atm.

Which brand do you have? Not knocking yours by any means, but I've heard that the lower price models/brands "suffer" from the cutting in and out (due to the electronics they use and low timing rates or something) and the higher-end, more expensive models, usually do not cut in and out like that... pretty much a real time / no lag setup. Confirm / deny?

This is based on past research. I've yet to buy any electronic muffs, due to pricing of the higher models. I know it's not an area to skimp on, so I plan to buy the best I can, but just haven't had the spare change laying around to spend $300-400 each on a couple pairs. Just using foamies atm.

Could be that!

Not sure of the brand,but I only paid 50 or 60 bucks I guess.

Thats a big price difference just to fix that one prblem.I think Ill keep these,and save 250+ dollars!

I use a pair of muffs I bought at some cut rate tool store. Cost me 1.99.

I am not sure I have hearing loss due to the low cost, but I cannot hear hear you all over the ringing in my ears to know the difference.

Seriously protect you hearing at all cost. I worked in the printing business for 15 years until I got smart and got into the golf business, now spirits. No doubt I have hearing loss from that line of work. you only get one set of ears, protect them.

I sleep with a fan running to drown out the ringing, is this where you want to be when you are 50 years old?

Guest Verbal Kint

Luckily I don't have any real hearing loss, even after working on the flight line and around jets when delivering munitions... at least none that is noticeable. I have to contribute that to annual testing and the AF enforcing the use of double protection while out there (foamies or internal plugs plus the external muffs). I agree that hearing (as well as eye sight) should be major concerns. Once either of them is gone, they're gone for good.

I use 300-400 dollar units, and I use the cheap/affordable HL units posted above.

Both perform very well, and neither "cut in and out"

The HL units are absolutely the best low cost e-ears out there!

I keep Peltors and HLs in my range bag, and actually find myself using the cheaper units most of the time.

Luckily I don't have any real hearing loss, even after working on the flight line and around jets when delivering munitions... at least none that is noticeable. I have to contribute that to annual testing and the AF enforcing the use of double protection while out there (foamies or internal plugs plus the external muffs). I agree that hearing (as well as eye sight) should be major concerns. Once either of them is gone, they're gone for good.

Ah, the beauty of working in a controlled environment.

Its good you were able to leave the service without major hearing lost.

I wasnt so lucky :wave:

Guest bkelm18

I use these: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=214443

214443.jpg

NRR of 30db. They work quite well when worn just by themselves without foamies. As far was work related hearing loss, I worked in the nuclear propulsion plant on my ship and at times it could get ridiculously loud depending on what bell we were answering. Hearing protection was mandatory but I didn't always wear them (the foamies) and I left with a small amount of hearing loss. Oh well, its life.

I use a pair of muffs I bought at some cut rate tool store. Cost me 1.99.

I am not sure I have hearing loss due to the low cost, but I cannot hear hear you all over the ringing in my ears to know the difference.

Seriously protect you hearing at all cost. I worked in the printing business for 15 years until I got smart and got into the golf business, now spirits. No doubt I have hearing loss from that line of work. you only get one set of ears, protect them.

I sleep with a fan running to drown out the ringing, is this where you want to be when you are 50 years old?

Hard to get either of them back

• 3 months later...
Guest Jcochran88

Been using the caldwell's for about 4 months now for $19.00 electronic muffs they seem to work well. Really prefer them to non electronic muffs. Only down side so far is that they don't seem to last very long on my second pair already. Never could get a pair of foam plugs to fit comfortly.

Just to chime in and reiterate what others have said about protecting your hearing. I shot for years private life with no protection. When I was active duty Army we used no hearing protection on the range. I worked around aircraft with no protection. I like auto racing and years ago no sound reduction was enforced. One of my favorite toys a few years back was a boat with unrestricted through hull exhausts.

I have a few years helping me along but I now have moderate to severe hearing loss and it aint fun.

Take care of your hearing, guys and girls.

oldogy

Tried ear plugs once and never again. Got a decent set from Browning. Muffs & glasses for around $30. Does the job. However, I would not mind getting the electronic type so you can hear conversations without removing muffs. Many good ones described above, if you want to pay the extra cash.

I'm not quite sure why someone said that muffs over 29 were better then plugs. I've always found that if you have the plugs seated properly then they tend to work much better then ear muffs. However, like most here whenever I am at the range (especially indoor) and someone's shooting magnum rounds I choose to double up.

Went to CHRPC range and tried the new electronic muffs today. For cheap'uns they worked great! You can hear every sound around you, talk to each other without yelling. Gunshots or other loud noises are "cliped out electronically. The gunshots sound like an echo. So much better then plugs or regular ear muff protectors.

Hyskore is the brand name.

http://www.hyskore.com/standard-electronic-hearing-protection.htm

We should wear plugs AND muffs when shooting. Electronic muffs and plugs are the ideal combination since you can hear conversations and still get greater protection than one or the other alone. Remember that small arms fire averages 140 dB while plugs and muffs combined only provide a noise reduction rating equivalent to 5 dB more than the highest rating of either. 30+30 is only effectively 35 due to the different wavelengths muffs and plugs are most effective for.

Guest MisterJimmy
We should wear plugs AND muffs when shooting. Electronic muffs and plugs are the ideal combination since you can hear conversations and still get greater protection than one or the other alone. Remember that small arms fire averages 140 dB while plugs and muffs combined only provide a noise reduction rating equivalent to 5 dB more than the highest rating of either. 30+30 is only effectively 35 due to the different wavelengths muffs and plugs are most effective for.

Amen, a bud of mine convinced me to use both. I can only imagine the disconnect one must experience when going from protected range ears to real-world combat firing. I've heard that your hearing returns in 30 mins or so . . . if you're lucky.