500,000 rounds of 22 - Brentwood, TN

Guest devline

He's talking about more manufacturers. Though I suspect most are seeing this as a temporary blip and whilst they are no doubt increasing production as much as they can within the parameters they have available, are probably going to avoid long-term capital expenditures. Though they may bring forward plans for new equipment and keep older equipment running for longer.

I'm surprised that the Chinese aren't getting into it. I think they need all the lead for childrens' toys though. Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1

I think that situation is a little more complex than just blaming Clinton.

Well, yanno, he could have vetoed it and see if Congress overrode him if he didn't believe in it. A year later and he was desperately backpedaling to center to win reelection anyway.

- OS

Well, yanno, he could have vetoed it and see if Congress overrode him if he didn't believe in it. A year later and he was desperately backpedaling to center to win reelection anyway.

- OS

Is there an actual law that states Chinese ammo cannot be imported or is it an EO or some other type mandate?

Edited by Garufa

Is there an actual law that states Chinese ammo cannot be imported or is it an EO or some other type mandate?

Started as EO from Bush the elder regarding guns, another from Clinton involving ammo,  and another from Dubya not sure exactly regarding which or both, not sure if those are the only reasons now. I've read a lot of crap about Most Favored Nation and Permanent Trade Relation Nation intricacies also -- which I don't understand, since US designates China as both as I understand it.

So, additional question: how come Russia hasn't started pumping .22LR into the States? They do make it over there.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Started as EO from Bush the elder, and another from Dubya, not sure if those are the only reasons now. I've read a lot of crap about Most Favored Nation and Permanent Trade Relation Nation intricacies also -- which I don't understand, since US designates China as both as I understand it.

Thanks.  That helps to confirm some of my suspicions in that 1)  There is no "law" that I'm aware of and 2) The "ban" is not part of some scheme to deny us our rights but may be a byproduct of some bigger issue....like Norico manufactuing nuclear components or some such thing.

Guest BCR#1

I thought it had to do with their human rights record being so lousy.

Bill

Guest semiautots

Really?  So after over 100+ years of .22 being the most popular caliber in this country, the one that everyone starts off with, with probably more firearms chambered in that caliber than any other, you honestly think more consumers will drive down the costs?

Please stop trying to interpret high school economics.  Yes, greater demand in theory leads to increased production with a resulting greater supply...if manufacturers tool-up for increased production.   However, prices have risen exponentially since January of 2013, not from manufacturers, who are working 24x7, but by greedy opportunistic douchebags who are in fact destroying the shooting sports for future generations.

That was actually college economics.  Did you like the way I didn't use the word "douchebag" to make a point?

One huge problem is even though demand is through the roof, has increased year after year which will only continue to increase with population growth, and businesses are sitting on a ton of cash, they are so risk adverse they will not invest and expand to meet demand. Also, new players won't come into the market. Business today is about maximizing profits while continually cutting costs like labor, keeping your business at 100%+ capacity and leaving a bunch of business on the table. Increasing your market share is not a priority. Basically businesses today have no new competition even though demand is continually increasing because business today is so risk adverse. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, new players won't come into the market. ... Basically businesses today have no new competition even though demand is continually increasing

Yes, thinking about the traditional, large ammo manufacturers, there aren't many new players in the market. The processes & machinery are very specialized, and it takes a lot of time & money to get going.

However, one part of the market that has boomed in the last few years is re-manufactured ammo. There are lots of new players who are making & selling it, since most of the hard parts (making the bullets & brass) can be gotten ready-made. The large demand has left a big enough gap in the newly-manufactured ammo supply that reman ammo can fill, and there's enough profit margin to make it viable now.

Back before the craziness... not so much. New ammo was plentiful & cheap, and reman ammo didn't have much of an edge to compete with on price.

Started as EO from Bush the elder regarding guns, another from Clinton involving ammo,  and another from Dubya not sure exactly regarding which or both, not sure if those are the only reasons now. I've read a lot of crap about Most Favored Nation and Permanent Trade Relation Nation intricacies also -- which I don't understand, since US designates China as both as I understand it.

So, additional question: how come Russia hasn't started pumping .22LR into the States? They do make it over there.

- OS

They do, and much like us consume every round they produce as fast as it comes off the production line.  Prior to the Great Panic, I'm told that they were importing the stuff too ...

One huge problem is even though demand is through the roof, has increased year after year which will only continue to increase with population growth, and businesses are sitting on a ton of cash, they are so risk adverse they will not invest and expand to meet demand. Also, new players won't come into the market. Business today is about maximizing profits while continually cutting costs like labor, keeping your business at 100%+ capacity and leaving a bunch of business on the table. Increasing your market share is not a priority. Basically businesses today have no new competition even though demand is continually increasing because business today is so risk adverse.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's difficult for there to be competition when your components come from the same place. Most of your powder comes from a few places in the world. Hpr and Ultramax get lots of its components from ATK. When you're having to rely on other ammo manufacturers to get components you're going to be put on the back burner.