500,000 rounds of 22 - Brentwood, TN

Guest devline

Gross profit and markup are two different calculations. An item that costs $1 and is marked up 100% sells for $2. But when you calculate the gross profit of the $2 sale, only $1 is actual profit thus equaling 50%. Clear as mud. 

Edited by Jade33
  • Like 1

Jimmy has an apple for the teacher that he paid $1 for. Little Johnny is in trouble with the teacher again and gives Jimmy $2 so he can give it to the teacher. What percentage profit did Jimmy make on the apple?biggrin.gif

What did Little Jonny do to get in trouble ?
Was the apple ripe ?
Was it delivered to the teacher ripe or rotten ?
Does Jimmy have a business license ?
Did Jimmy collect and pay sale tax ?

Lots of questions need answering here ......
Guest devline

Can I have the last 5 minutes of my life back, please.... :surrender:   "Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read the last page of this thread.  My God have mercy your soul" -  :pleased:

Edited by devline
I said it before, will say it again: EW made a big mistake no matter how you look at it. They either paid way too much for the ammo and failed to explain that when they marketed it (highly unlikely), or they tried to sell it for a high profit in such a way that they were almost certain to piss off the vast majority of their customers and the general public (most likely). They have now dropped their price down to $55 per brick which I still think is too high, and I won't buy any at that price, but I don't blame them for not going much lower because there are a fair amount of people paying that price and more for it locally and online. While I don't blame them and won't crucify them for the new price, I still think it's another bad mistake. After suffering such a bad blow from their first mistake they could have done something truly spectacular to impress everyone and win back some business. Like selling it at or very near cost with strict limits of 100-250 rounds per drivers license to stop resellers, or giving some away with each firearm purchase. Or raffling off a free brick once per day for those who post on their Facebook page. Whatever the case, I do hope they learn from their bad mistakes before it's too late. More gun stores = always better than less gun stores.
And here's a short story for comparison. I saw a Craigslist ad for a used gun safe a few weeks ago. Very good price on the safe, an older model, I assumed it was a personal sale. Agreed to buy it and drove 90 minutes to the seller's location. Turned out it was a very small store which had just opened in the middle of nowhere, just off I24 at the Springfield / Coopertown exit, I think it was called Farragut Sales but don't quote me on that as my memory is fuzzy. Not a gun store, more like a small convenience shop that sold mostly tools, knives, and misc cool stuff but he was selling a bunch of gun cleaning accessories and he also had a small section of ammo. As I looked around I was impressed with his prices and selection. Almost everything he had was good quality and very good prices, things I actually like and have used for years. He had a dog working behind the counter and we talked about all sorts of gun stuff. Said he used to run a gun shop but was now just running a small store near his new retirement home. Super nice guy. Then as I browsed the ammo section I see individual boxes of CCI Blazer, maybe 8 boxes total. It was the only ammo without a price, so I almost hated to ask, but I did. Before he told me the price, he explained that the market was crazy now and he refuses to buy or sell 22lr for crazy prices, but being in a pretty remote location he was getting a lot of customers in asking for 22lr and he felt bad that they couldn't get any anywhere. Lots of farmers or folks with kids that really needed it. So he purchased a small amount of it for $54.99 per brick and was selling it for $5.99 per box, making only $5 profit on the whole brick. He actually discouraged me from buying it, said it was only there to help the local folks, and he didn't have much at all. This guy was a first class sportsman, gentleman, and small business owner that I highly respected. So I bought about $40 worth of other stuff from him and went on my way. Seems he knows a little more about marketing than EW, perhaps they will learn from him.
  • Like 1
[quote name="wileecoyote" post="1132375" timestamp="1396283792"]And here's a short story for comparison. I saw a Craigslist ad for a used gun safe a few weeks ago. Very good price on the safe, an older model, I assumed it was a personal sale. Agreed to buy it and drove 90 minutes to the seller's location. Turned out it was a very small store which had just opened in the middle of nowhere, just off I24 at the Springfield / Coopertown exit, I think it was called Farragut Sales but don't quote me on that as my memory is fuzzy. Not a gun store, more like a small convenience shop that sold mostly tools, knives, and misc cool stuff but he was selling a bunch of gun cleaning accessories and he also had a small section of ammo.As I looked around I was impressed with his prices and selection. Almost everything he had was good quality and very good prices, things I actually like and have used for years. He had a dog working behind the counter and we talked about all sorts of gun stuff. Said he used to run a gun shop but was now just running a small store near his new retirement home. Super nice guy. Then as I browsed the ammo section I see individual boxes of CCI Blazer, maybe 8 boxes total. It was the only ammo without a price, so I almost hated to ask, but I did. Before he told me the price, he explained that the market was crazy now and he refuses to buy or sell 22lr for crazy prices, but being in a pretty remote location he was getting a lot of customers in asking for 22lr and he felt bad that they couldn't get any anywhere. Lots of farmers or folks with kids that really needed it. So he purchased a small amount of it for $54.99 per brick and was selling it for $5.99 per box, making only $5 profit on the whole brick. He actually discouraged me from buying it, said it was only there to help the local folks, and he didn't have much at all. This guy was a first class sportsman, gentleman, and small business owner that I highly respected. So I bought about $40 worth of other stuff from him and went on my way. Seems he knows a little more about marketing than EW, perhaps they will learn from him.[/quote] Can you give me an idea how to find this place? I live in Springfield.

Unlike most people on this thread, I was actually at the Everything Weapons store this past week to pick up some ammo and a couple mags. Their Armscor 22LR price is at $55/500rds now. Also, there is a 10% discount on everything in the store except guns. So they're paying our sales tax, which I think is great. Finally, as I am a poor college student, I used to buy guns online at Buds or cheaperthandirt and have them transferred to EW because their transfer fee is reasonable and they are very helpful with any questions I have and don't ignore me like other gun stores around town. But last week, I noticed that most if not all of their guns are match priced with buds! I don't know how a storefront retailer can afford to do that, but they obviously manage. I appreciate having a place in town like EW and I will continue to visit the store, regularly. I'm not going to condemn an entire locally owned and operated business just because they had a high price on ONE particular ammo. Like other people said, who knows what their cost is? If you can find it elsewhere cheaper, then good for you. But some of us, who don't want to get up at 4am to stand in line at walmart for substandard Winchester 333 that won't even cycle in my 22, will go to EW. 

Their used guns usually seem reasonable also. At least my jaw doesn't drop like it does at FGS.

• Like 1

If they price match Buds for guns they have in stock; they will be successful no matter what’s said here. (Forgive me if I’m skeptical of that)

I won’t Judge them on one item. $20 an hour for the range is high, but I guess it works for that area.

Looks like we are getting more competition in the area.

I paid more than that at Nashville Armory. Though it was the rifle range and I was with a buddy. I'm not shilling for these guys but I think this 22 shortage is making everyone a little sensitive.

[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1132397" timestamp="1396287026"]Can you give me an idea how to find this place? I live in Springfield.[/quote]I drove up I24 from Nashville, took the Springfield / Cooperstown exit (can't remember the exit number), and turned North. There was a small BP gas station with a Pizza place connected to it. The guy's small storefront was a single door in between the BP and pizza place, all 3 are sharing the same building. I think there was some sort of sandwich shop across the street. On the way home I went south across the exit and we ate breakfast at a Wendy's restaurant. That's about all I remember about the place, not much else around that we could see. Edited by wileecoyote
  • Like 1

I drove up I24 from Nashville, took the Springfield / Cooperstown exit (can't remember the exit number), and turned North. There was a small BP gas station with a Pizza place connected to it. The guy's small storefront was a single door in between the BP and pizza place, all 3 are sharing the same building. I think there was some sort of sandwich shop across the street. On the way home I went south across the exit and we ate breakfast at a Wendy's restaurant. That's about all I remember about the place, not much else around that we could see.

Should be right around
2731 York Rd
Pleasant View, TN 37146 
  • Like 1
Guest Skyline034
[quote name="tnguy" post="1132420" timestamp="1396290738"]Their used guns usually seem reasonable also. At least my jaw doesn't drop like it does at FGS.[/quote] I guess living in Franklin nothing shocks me compared to FGS which is why I suppose I like shopping at EW. I don't really shoot that much rimfire anymore since I gave up finding it around Williamson Co. awhile ago. I really hope the madness ceases soon for everyone's sake. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guest Whitfed
As most folks that live in FRANKLIN, not north, east, south or west of franklin, nothing is surprising. And my guess is, most of you complaining about EWs price, most likely you wouldn't visit them or FGS in the first place.

Stop whining, and go piss off someone at a gun show by buying the last brick of .22 at the show. 12 pages of bitching is enough. I personally am glad to have some true competition in town (Franklin, that is).

As most folks that live in FRANKLIN, not north, east, south or west of franklin, nothing is surprising. And my guess is, most of you complaining about EWs price, most likely you wouldn't visit them or FGS in the first place.

Stop whining, and go piss off someone at a gun show by buying the last brick of .22 at the show. 12 pages of bitching is enough. I personally am glad to have some true competition in town (Franklin, that is).

Y'all been served, ya hear? :rant:

Edited by R_Bert
[quote name="tnguy" post="1132423" timestamp="1396290921"]Margin is 50%, markup is 100% (I think [correctly]). [url="http://blog.conseroglobal.com/markup-vs-margin-whats-the-difference/"]http://blog.conseroglobal.com/markup-vs-margin-whats-the-difference/[/url][/quote] Yeah what you said. 15 years in retail my brain only works in margin. I didn't even pay attention to the fact he said markup since it isn't a consideration for most big retailers. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My money's just as green from a few miles away as yours. I've been in EW, spent money and everything. Add to it the fact that they're one of the closest options to me and it kind of shoots your whole first paragraph down, don't it.

Going to a gun show? Why? The whole point of this thread is people are fed up paying gouged pricing. Plus I don't need to go buy the last over priced brick, I've got plenty thanks to a minute amount of foresight but mostly thanks to one of the vendors here who has consistently been able to keep a small supply and sell it at a fair price.

Even with all that in mind I hope EW makes it. I most likely won't be back, which given the general demeanor of the staff I dealt with, would probably suit them fine. More stores are of course a good thing, and they make chocolate and vanilla both for a reason. My mind was made up long before the matter. I'd be willing to bet someone sporting some 5-11s, 3 para cord bracelets, and under armor shirt and a high and tight might have a more welcoming experience than either of mine. For them I say great. Me? I'll be shopping elsewhere.

Selling .22 ammo at those prices is one thing, but expecting expecting us to buy their line off bull is another. While I may not know how much they paid for the ammo, after talking with a couple people in the know, I have a strong reason to believe at least some at EW are not being completely truthful about the .22 they are selling. They don't owe me/us any explanation, but if they are going to give one, I'd prefer it be an honest one.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1
Guest Skyline034
Yeah I'm done with this thread, it was fun while it lasted and I wish EW all the best and hope they stick around. Edited by Skyline034
Guest Whitfed
EW will be around for awhile and thumbs up to them for reopening the pistol range in Franklin. Believe it or not I think the owner does have some business sense, minus this 22 debate. There was a need for another store in Franklin and he has given us two of them.

No business owner owes you or me a reason why they mark up or down a product. Just try and ask the guys at FGS why they charge 4x more than anyone else.

And don't forget one small thing, these prices we are seeing on ammo are here to stay. It's been 1 1/2 yr since Sandy Hook and the EPA keeps closing smelters left and right.
Guest semiautots

EW will be around for awhile and thumbs up to them for reopening the pistol range in Franklin. Believe it or not I think the owner does have some business sense, minus this 22 debate. There was a need for another store in Franklin and he has given us two of them.

No business owner owes you or me a reason why they mark up or down a product. Just try and ask the guys at FGS why they charge 4x more than anyone else.

And don't forget one small thing, these prices we are seeing on ammo are here to stay. It's been 1 1/2 yr since Sandy Hook and the EPA keeps closing smelters left and right.

I went in to a little gun shop in Franklin last week.  It's on the south side, near the sheriff's office.  Nice guys, but selection was somewhat limited.  I hope their business grows.

Hey dad
What
Were almost out of 22 ammo
Ok
Are you getting any more?
Nope
Why
You're now old enough, you shoot it you pay for it.
But dad that crap has gone through the roof I can't afford that right now! My job cutting lawns doesn't pay enough and spring just started.
See the lever action red Ryder and those 2 airsoft guns?
Yeah
Have at it, make sure you oil the propane blowback guns
Cool thanks screw that 22 stuff
Yup,well wait for it to get a little cheaper,well shoot the other stuff in the meantime thank god for Russian prisoners making everything else affordable!
Thanks dad!
No problem !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.