Favorite Venison Recipe's

Since deer season opens tomorrow let share some of our favorite recipes. Here is one of my favorites:

Carne Asada Venison

Put the following ingredients into a blender:

1 jar (16oz) of your favorite salsa

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup lime juice

1 packet Lipton Onion soup mix

Blend until smooth.

Take your favorite cut of meat and pour the blended mixture over the meat. I usually use a ziplock back or tupperware. Reserve some of the mixture for brushing on while grilling and some as a dipping sauce. Let this marinate overnight at least but I usually let it marinate for 2 days. The acids from the salsa and lime juice really help tenderize the meat.

When ready to cook take the meat out of the marinade and throw the marinade away. You can now either pan fry it or throw it on the grill. What ever you do don't cook it past medium rare.

Thats some good eating right there.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always get some ground. A few lbs of ground venison browned throw it in a crock pot on low with a bottle of Heinz ketchup and make sloppy joe.

Also makes a mean chili, I just use 2 lbs ground venison, 2 packs Great Value (wal-mart) hot or mild chili mix, 2 cans of GV dark red kidney beans, 2 cans of GV chili ready tomatoes. Follow the directions on the chili mix packet (doubled)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grizzly Johnson

I like to have the tenderloin sliced up thin, then battered and fried in a skillet with onions, cubed patotoes, and mushrooms, along with some buttered dinner rolls, and sweet tea. Sure makes a tastey supper.....

Edited by Hunting101
I like to have the tenderloin sliced up thin, then battered and fried in a skillet with onions, cubed patotoes, and mushrooms, along with some buttered dinner rolls, and sweet tea. Sure makes a tastey supper.....

It is good my grandmother has cooked it that way, minus the mushrooms.

I like taking the front shoulder and putting it in a big pan with carrots, onions, celery, taters or whatever you want and cook it in an oven like a roast.

Guest Grizzly Johnson
It is good my grandmother has cooked it that way, minus the mushrooms.

I like taking the front shoulder and putting it in a big pan with carrots, onions, celery, taters or whatever you want and cook it in an oven like a roast.

We used to have a "wild game" night usually around mid December or when the ducks were plentiful. Everyone had a specialty dish they cooked. One of my favorites with the grilled duck and goose was a dish we called "patotoes from hell". They were diced up and in a baking dish with small whole mushrooms, onions, spices, peppers, and some hot pepper spice....... Not too much though, you will see why we called them taters from hell.......:up:

Guest EasilyObsessed
Selling wild game jerky or it's meat in general is illegal, if I get a couple this year when I get to go I can give you some. I usually make alot of jerky.

Thanks for the FYI. I didn't know that. I have always been given jerky in the past, but I have never tried to purchase. I guess that would explain why I never noticed it for sale anywhere :popcorn:

Guest db99wj

Been along time, but tender loin, split along the top, marinated in salt, pepper, butter, worchester, butter, some more butter.....then grilled. Hmmm, sounds like what I do to steaks!

• 2 months later...
Guest abailey362

my wife has been making a basic stew/soup with diced up meat, corn, green beans, potatoes, and carrots. add in some beef stock and some mccormick beef stew mix. leave it in the crock pot all day and you got a good meal

Guest canynracer

I want to try it :(

never had venison...BUT, the neighbor is taking me hunting next week for the first time....hopefully, I may just get to try some recipies.

Guest Mugster

I do the roasts by making a broth out of about 8 beef bullion cubes and submerging the roast in that in the crockpot. Cook it about 11 hours. Can add stuff and make a stew with 3 hours to go or so or I just pull the roast out and drain off the juice. I do not brown it first, like with a beef.

For steaks, I soak in a can of beer and a half cup of dales steak seasoning for a couple hours. Then I wash em off, get rid of whatever tallow i can find, and grill/fry/pan cook or whatever. Doing that soak removes a good bit of the wild and softens em up a little.

Guest GUTTERbOY

+1 on the beer soak. I use that technique to do oven roasts. Soak it in Killian's for a day or so, coat with kosher salt and cracked black pepper, put in roasting pan. Meanwhile, preheat oven as hot as it will go. Put the roast in and lower oven temperature to 300. Oh, be sure to sick a meat thermometer in there, too. Remove when it's done to your liking (medium for me) and after letting it stand for 10-15 minutes, carve and enjoy. Really simple.