Ham, FRS, GMRS, Radios, More!

• Moderators

A few years back I purchased a Grundig G3 World Traveler. It is on Ebay right now. They run about $90 new, I'm hoping to get $40 for it.

I purchased the radio not really knowing what to expect and was quite overwhelmed with how complex it was. It sat in the case for a long time. I was disappointing to find out that (at least I don't think) it doesn't have NOAA capabilities and also does not pickup the frequency range that EMS/Police/Fire/etc use.

Fast forward to now. A week ago a co-worker was showing me his Ham radio. I understand that it is for a different purpose than for the above radio. However, I think these radios actually meet my criterion more. Now, let me state that I fully understand misusing these radios without license or outside of FCC regulations will get you much unneeded attentions from the FCC.

I am thinking about purchasing something like this Baofeng.

My intended uses are (and I believe this will do all of them):

• Monitor local EMS/Police/Utility frequencies
  • Monitor NOAA/Weather Alerts in bad weather
  • Listen to FM radio
  • Potentially become licensed for Ham in the future

I did some searching, and I believe that you can (when programming channels) disable the transmit function for a channel. This would, for example, allow me to listen to local emergency frequencies without accidentally transmitting. I like that idea.

I notice this radio covers the GMRS/FRS frequencies. I also am under the understanding that it is against FCC regulation to use this radio on FRS frequencies because its transmitting power is much more than you friendly consumer FRS radios. However, you could theoretically get away with it on GMRS frequencies if you are licensed for those because GMRS specs allow radios much more powerful than this. Is that correct?

I'm interested in becoming licensed for Ham, but mainly because I like the idea of being able to communicate with my wife when the cell networks experience trouble, etc. This rarely happens but I do recall a time or two when the weather was bad and either knocked out cell towers or they were simply overwhelmed.

I currently own this (GXT900VP4)  pair of GMRS/FRS radios. I use them for NOAA capability.

Perhaps I would be better suited with a handheld scanner? The $30-$40 pricepoint seems attractive to me. I pretty much just want to replace the Grundig that I purchased with a new toy.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It would work very well for your desired application especially when blocking transmit on those frequencies. The only thing I will note about them (you already seem to understand the legal ramifications) is that a lot of departments are trunked frequency and this will not pick those up.
Let me start by saying, I am NOT familiar with frs rules. But my first concern in that case is if the radio is "type accepted" for operation on the frs bands. Most handhelds can be operated on low power, usually 1 watt, but in the case of commercial operations a ham radio is not type accepted and therefore unlawful to transmit on that band. But like I said at the beginning, I don't know much about the frs rules, it could be different.
  • Moderators
[quote name="Photoguy67" post="1121592" timestamp="1394241639"]Let me start by saying, I am NOT familiar with frs rules. But my first concern in that case is if the radio is "type accepted" for operation on the frs bands. Most handhelds can be operated on low power, usually 1 watt, but in the case of commercial operations a ham radio is not type accepted and therefore unlawful to transmit on that band. But like I said at the beginning, I don't know much about the frs rules, it could be different.[/quote] I do not believe it is approved by the FCC on those frequencies but I could be wrong. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by CZ9MM

Never mind, looks like MURS is out of the question too legally. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that if you research the Baofeng radios you will find that they are FCC type approved (not accepted) and as such be legal for use on the MURS frequencies.

It is not type accepted for either FRS or GMRS and would be illegal to transmit on those freq's with or without a ham license or any other license.

It also has the ability to transmit on MURS the VHF version of FRS, but it's not type accepted for those freq's either.

But, reality is nobody is getting into trouble for using non-type accepted radios on FRS or MURS... and I haven't heard of anybody getting in trouble for transmitting simplex on GMRS without a licenses, let alone with a non-type accepted radio in over a decade.

Love my baofeng uv-5r plus. And yes, it is too much power for frs and gmrs unless you have a ham license. Pretty sure it is compatible with these freqs in low power mode (around 1 watt).

Edited by JayC

It is not type accepted for either FRS or GMRS and would be illegal to transmit on those freq's with or without a ham license or any other license.

It also has the ability to transmit on MURS the VHF version of FRS, but it's not type accepted for those freq's either.

But, reality is nobody is getting into trouble for using non-type accepted radios on FRS or MURS... and I haven't heard of anybody getting in trouble for transmitting simplex on GMRS without a licenses, let alone with a non-type accepted radio in over a decade.

There's a common attitude - if you can get away with it, it's not really illegal.