How Tough Are You

runco

I cried like a baby, you must watch this video about a boy who finds $20, and gives it to a active service member at Cracker Barrel.  It doesn't end like you think!  If you do not have an emotional reaction, you must be superman!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bwSLPE4ecU

• Like 1
Sorry, but I gotta be the Ahole here.

I always question the validity of these stories. Even removing the Christian ethic from the equation, it seems all these type stories have a common denominator. They all have people blowing their trumpet saying "Look at me and what I did!"
That's NOT how you give. You don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. A free hearted person who WANTS to give for the sake of giving does so in secret. The reward is feeling from helping another. To give and then tell everyone what you've done negates everything and makes the whole ordeal about YOU not the person you made an effort to help.

The Christian ethic for those who believe can be found in the book Matthew chapter 6:
1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
  • Like 1

I always question the validity of these stories. Even removing the Christian ethic from the equation, it seems all these type stories have a common denominator. They all have people blowing their trumpet saying "Look at me and what I did!"
That's NOT how you give. You don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. A free hearted person who WANTS to give for the sake of giving does so in secret. The reward is feeling from helping another. To give and then tell everyone what you've done negates everything and makes the whole ordeal about YOU not the person you made an effort to help.

The Christian ethic for those who believe can be found in the book Matthew chapter 6:
1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

Um, it was a kid who probably has no idea about the Christian ethic. You also appear to assume that they are Christians even though you state that you are removing said ethic. Our society is riddled with people making their donations in public - particularly if they are incredibly rich like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates - so non-Christians see that as the norm. I also got the understanding that the Lt Col was the one who advanced the story here when he said that he not only put the $20 to some charitable purpose, but also stated that he's doing a lot more. I highly doubt that the kid contacted the news to generate a "See what I did?" type of report. Perhaps the mother did.

Geez Caster, that is curmudgeonly even by my standards.

Good on the kid for a very nice act.  I doubt he did it to draw attention to himself other than to get a smile out of someone he related to his Dad. The uniform had to be why he chose that man to give the 20 to.

I know for fact it is tough seeing all your friends have a Dad to go running up to every day.  Hopefully someday his Mom will find a great guy to become his Dad like mine did.

I would almost guess that someone who works with the Colonel contacted a news outlet or the Colonel himself looking to payback the little boy.

Great story anyway.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

If I had been involved in this or had seen this happen, I would absolutely spread the word.

Thing is, in some respects I'm a pretty heartless bastard. I have some very good friends that I've lost over the past few years, along with folks I would consider buddies and acquaintances. I didnt think much about it when some of them were lost. It was part of the deal. You go to war and you might die. If it were me doing the dying I wouldn't expect my buddies to lose much sleep over it. Hell, I wouldn't want them to. So it didnt affect me much. But when we came home and did ceremonies for the fallen and their families showed up it was a whole different story. These weren't just buddies who drew the short straw. They were sons, brothers and fathers. Seeing the families made me bawl like a bitch once I got to where no one could see me.

I'll admit, when I saw this story teased I didn't even click on it. I saw it in this thread and decided to take a look. It started out with introducing an air national guard officer, which is about as POG as one can get, so I had my prejudices about it. Then in continued and I heard that boy's story. I couldn't watch it all the way through. What that boy is going through is exactly what I worried about my boy going through when I left him at 5 months old to go back to Iraq. I see nothing here but the purest form of emotion. Yeah, maybe the press is clinging on to it for a few more hits on their website, but that doesn't take away from what this is. The father is a hero. The boy has shouldered a burden for this country that most of us, to include myself, will never understand. Our obligation, as fellow Americans, is to honor the fallen and the families that have made the sacrifice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Very moving story and I am quite sure the boy did it not for the news coverage but for the uniform and his father. That particular news organization sends that particular man out to seek out human interest stories of people doing good things for other people and that is all he reports on. I am quite sure no one from his family contacted the news and that is was the Colonel that did the contacting................jmho

I wasn't directly accusing the kid of anything. He ain't old enough to understand any of it anyway. This is directly the result of the media.
These cases come up too often. It's sad to me.

But hey, good on the kid. No one ever regrets honoring our soldiers. They deserve a lot more.

...it's also sad that these sort of things need to be paraded around just to get others in the mood to do the same. It just shows the degradation of our society. No one should need encouragement to do for others. Edited by Caster

I wasn't directly accusing the kid of anything. He ain't old enough to understand any of it anyway. This is directly the result of the media.
These cases come up too often. It's sad to me.
But hey, good on the kid. No one ever regrets honoring our soldiers. They deserve a lot more.

Caster did you watch or assume the results. If you assumed, it does not end like you think it does. It's all about the boys dad.
I seen this story a few days ago. The actual story is separate from my real complaint. The need to push these stories to promote an agenda is pitiful but its everywhere. Heart warming stories sell ratings for media, which they're a soulless monster anyway so I'm not surprised. What does surprise me is how self absorbed we have become as a people. These sort of stories remind people to give and do for others. SO, I ask, Why did you need to be reminded? How do we forget to do good things for each other.
Ehh, never mind. Sorry, carry on.