Glock 23 Frame Issue

Bought this Gen 3 23 in April 2013. Have since thrown less than 500 rounds down range. Went to the range 2/28 for the first time in.....lets just say a while. Had FTE on both G26 and 23. I'll take partial blame for that as I've not shot in a while. Did have the local Glock guru at the range check them both out as I've never had an issue before. He said the spring might be weak. He pulled the slide back, pulled the trigger and slowly rode it forward manually. Didn't make it back to battery the last 1/4" under it's own power. Came home and started checking it out. The frame is curved a bit at the muzzle end.  Any ideas on how this happened? Guess it needs to go back to Glock, hopefully not.

Note: this is my "house" gun. It does not sit in hot cars or stored in hot places in the home. The last picture ( I hope) is when it was only a few months old. The other pictures are from today.

Thanks, John

image_zps26e53dcd.jpg

image_zps34e85530.jpg

image_zps1d9e319a.jpg

It's commenly called the Glock Pig nose. I think 3 of my 4 Glocks have it and all function fine. It's long been believed that while ugly, it shouldn't cause the gun to malfunction.

I'm leaning towards a recoil spring on this but it is strange that it doesn't appear this gun has always had the "pig nose". Call Glock and demand they send you a recoil spring.

It's commenly called the Glock Pig nose. I think 3 of my 4 Glocks have it and all function fine. It's long been believed that while ugly, it shouldn't cause the gun to malfunction.

Is the Gen 2 that fourth one?  I bet it is.

Is the Gen 2 that fourth one?  I bet it is.

That's affirmative. :up:

I have to double check, but I'm almost positive the frame is not "bent" on my gen 2 19. I also haven't noticed it on my Gen4 21 but I'd have to look when I get home.

My Gen 3 G29 straight out of the holster.

AC07128E-EEA1-4FFA-9D2C-5039874C4201_zps

Thanks for the pic. I'm going to call Glock hopefully tomorrow and see if I can get a new RSA at least. Still somewhat new to the brand if you can't tell.

I'll just add to the others. Mine look the same as well.

Some are worse than others. At one time there was a post on another site

where a guy actually called Glock on the issue. They said it was normal and would not cause issues.

Some have speculated it is due to the molding process. As the frame cools from the mold it causes this issue with the front of the frame.

Which is commonly called the Dust Cover portion of the frame. I have never had a problem due to it yet.

Seriously doubt I ever will. There really isn't enough friction between the 2 point s to cause issues. Once the slide goes back far enough it doesn't rub any at all.

[quote name="JHC77" post="1120630" timestamp="1394056145"]Thanks for the pic. I'm going to call Glock hopefully tomorrow and see if I can get a new RSA at least. Still somewhat new to the brand if you can't tell.[/quote] Yeah if it's FTF or not returning to battery that's a separate issue and you should call Glock if it's a fairly new gun
  • 4 weeks later...

Every Glock has this. It has been determined it is caused by heat so if your Glock didn't have it, it will after a little shooting. It will not impede function. If you want a real gun get a S&W M&P where the dust cover is actually made out of something and stays straight.

y9e4agy2.jpg

American made!

• Like 1

Every Glock has this. It has been determined it is caused by heat so if your Glock didn't have it, it will after a little shooting. It will not impede function. If you want a real gun get a S&W M&P where the dust cover is actually made out of something and stays straight.

y9e4agy2.jpg

American made!

It is a real gun, well, I had to fill out a 4473 form for it. I did have an M&P for a better part of 6 years. When I dropped 35 pounds, it was hard to conceal a full size frame and didn't want the hassle of dropping more money for the Apex set up.