jamming yugo sks

Guest witchdr

Guest witchdr

I have been trying to help someone to fix his Yugo SKS it loads the first round fine but 2 or 3 rounds into a mag it will fail to fully cycle or the spent carteridge will stick in the chamber .I've stripped and cleaned it but to no result.Can anyone offer sugestion on what to try next?:confused:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed

Is it using an aftermarket clip? Or the factory 10 round top loader? Aftermarket clips tend to have lots of problems on the Yugos.

What kind of ammo? Try using Wolf if you are using something else. My gun does not like the Winchester stuff but loves any variety of the wolf ammo.

Has it always had this problem or did it just recently being occuring?

I have been trying to help someone to fix his Yugo SKS it loads the first round fine but 2 or 3 rounds into a mag it will fail to fully cycle or the spent carteridge will stick in the chamber .I've stripped and cleaned it but to no result.Can anyone offer sugestion on what to try next?:confused:

Take a look at the extractor assembly...it sounds like its not seating when the bolt goes forward...so when it cycles the extractor fails during that part of the cycle.

Look for a worn extractor (thats the little claw thats' on the bolt...also, if the extractor is failing..you might want to inspect the entire bolt face..ejector/extractor and check the bolt face for a worn, cracked face and or elongated/worn firing pin port.

sometimes they just wear out..but the inspection is a rudimentary one that should be done during/after every cleaning!

If that looks fine, then I would say check the magazine/magazine spring...if THAT looks ok, then I'd say check the gas tube assembly or recoil spring assembly. If its fouled then you'll get excessive muzzle rise and recoil, but a weak cycling of the bolt.

My money is on the extractor assembly though.

here's a quick article on the yugo, as to why its picky about some ammo.

The main difference between other SKS rifles and the Yugoslav versions is that the bores of the Yugo versions were not chrome plated--Yugoslavia has no significant native chromium ore deposits, chromium was expensive to purchase and Yugoslavia's relationship with the USSR (a major chromium ore exporter) since 1948 was lukewarm at best. One reason Yugo SKS rifles (in fact all Yugoslav small arms seem "beefier") is because Yugoslav cartridges are much "hotter" loads than other similar "East Bloc" ammo, plus since Yugoslavia's manufacturing capacity was relatively limited, each weapon had to be more durable.

(contributed by Michael E. Kreca)

hope that helps ya!

Sounds like a weak/worn/damaged extractor and/or a rough/eroded chamber.

Have you tried brass-cased ammo? I'd be interested to hear if it functioned just fine with that... Steel cased ammo will accentuate any chamber irregularities or extractor issues.

Guest Ghostrider

If a lot of cheap or corrosive ammo has gone through it, do the inspection as above and thoroughly clean the face of the bolt as well as the gas system (all of it).

I agree that most likely it's the bolt group, but the gas system on both of mine has caused me some minor issues similar to these.

As climber said, if your recoil begins to increase it's past time to pull it apart and clear all of the gas assembly.

just my 2 cents....

• 2 months later...
Guest witchdr

I've finally found the problem with this Yugo and fixed it. A post on Survivors SKS boards told of having one do the same thing and it was a leak where the gas tube meets the gas blockso I took his advise and made a gas seal from a paper clip form around a tube of the right size leaving a small gap on the bottom to aid in re-assembly .It worked like a charm.